Holiday Inn Chiang Mai
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
  • Pool
View Hotel
River Side Resort(Chiang Mai)
De KRIYA(Chiang Mai)
1,773 results
All reviewstuk tukihg membernight marketriver viewlobby barexecutive floorping riverfree shuttleconcierge staffan upgradebreakfast buffetbit datedcorner roomhigher floorlarge roomwelcome drinkold town
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Holiday Inn Chiang Mai. The IHG website makes bookings so easy and shows all the best rates. The value was awesome -- it included a buffet breakfast for 2 and free WIFI. The rooms and bathrooms are huge and well sorted -- great cable TV options. The breakfast buffet was VAST -- so many options and choices and service was impeccable. We checked in on Friday and I sent an email to Khun Payap the front office manager asking him to make reservations for the Friday Seafood/International Buffet. At check in he pulled me aside and confirmed our reservations at 6pm and had already pre-checked us into our room. Key cards and arrival letter from the Hotel's Priority Club contact and a welcome letter and fresh fruit in the room from Stella Jacobs, the hotel manager! Brilliant follow through --- KUDOS! The BBQ Seafood buffet is extraordinary! Go early, go hungry and have a feast. Again the options were enormous and varied and the seafood impeccably fresh and seemed endless -- we had a bottle of wine and savored the evening. You can not go wrong --- I had 2 Manhattans at the lobby bar and they were perfect. A good Manhattan is a art and they were perfect. I can't say enough and know you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: The hotel is one of the tallest in Chiang Mai and the shape offers views from every single room A river view overlooking the city towards to mountains is magic. Extraordinary sunsets to enjoy.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank grgwild
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Very tired property ... I am surprised that IHG allow the Holiday Inn name to be used on it. It looks like it was in need of a re-vamp years ago never mind now. Worn carpets everywhere, peeling wall paper - The only saving grace, and I mean only, was the excellent and helpful staff who all agreed on the state of the place. The breakfast was quite poor and the dining room staff try to control where you sit to get ready for lunch even though its quite some time before they have finished serving the breakfast offering. I only went down once in the 5 days that I stayed. I moved onto The Shang-ri La and then the Le Meridian for the same price as i was paying there!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank ErawanCapeTown
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2013

Dear ErawanCapeTown,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. This feedback is very helpful to us as we establish our best path to providing successful guest satisfaction. While we are pleased to hear that our staff went above and beyond to provide you with exceptional service, we would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations in regards to the overall state of our property. We value your feedback as they enable us to further improve the quality and services we offer and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope you would give us the chance to serve you again should your travel plans bring you back to Chiang Mai.

Joel B

Reviewed June 20, 2013

It seems not too long ago that I was addressing the parking issues, bad room service, buffet concerns with the GM of this property on his mobile. Flash forward 18 months and all the same concerns continue as always, but now you can ad the mainland invasion to the list.

It is truly unfortunate that the Buffet restaurant and previously the room service quality were so poor ongoing as the larger rooms are convenient and the views are generally nice.

I had a chance to evaluate both the Breakfast and the Seafood Special Buffet and my recommendation is to avoid these even if it is FREE. If the upkeep was good but food tasted bad, one might think that the staff were trying but when the upkeep is poor and the food is poor and all directions fall on deaf ears, one sees complete picture.

I visited the egg stand at breakfast and asked for 2 fried eggs. I went to the table for 5 minutes and came back. Can I help you sir? Order #1 lost. I ordered 2 fried eggs again. Went to the fruit and came back 5 minutes later. Can I help you sir? Order #2 lost. Repeat this 1 more time until the yelling begins at having pretended to forget your order 3 times. The 4th time after being asked to fry the eggs full in Thai, the eggs were still runny. Nevermind, skip the eggs.

The juices and milk were either EMPTY 100% or EMPTY 95% depending on the items --- and this was more than 1 hour before closing. The croissants and Danish were all stale to the point where you notice that when you pick them up with the metal tool that no bending is occurring.

The bacon was either undercooked with raw fat or fully cooked hard enough that you couldn't even chew it. The stir fry dishes had most of the meat picked out leaving little else. As for the plastic sausages, one day the pork sausage tasted rotten. Thankfully it is difficult to screw up bircher mueslix. One average I threw out 3 items for every 1 I could eat. Not even at the 99 baht buffet specials have I ever thrown away as much food as this property.

During the famous seafood buffet, I tried the famously undercooked turkey. I threw up 3 slices of the famously raw dough pizza and after that when a new pizza came, I threw away 1 more slice of pizza with the same issue. I asked the restaurant manager for a good recommendation on where to eat as obviously it was not at the hotel.

One might think these were just bad days but after 5+ stays at this property over 7 years, I really do know better. The food produced at this property is just terrible---- and find parking during functions is a long-term issues. Neither issue originated this year, last year, or the year before-- these are all long-term issues relating to management failure.

NOW, Being an expert on this property from prior stays. I was able to only burn myself one time in the shower. The trick is that when another room flushes the toilets, the drop in cold water pressure causes the cord on the shower head to jump. When you see the jump you have about 0.5 second to get away from the water being it turned scalding hot--- then about 1 second later, it normalizes again as the water flow rate is very high. Again, it was my own fault for not reacting fast enough the water cord jumping prior to the hot water. Had my reaction time been better, I might have avoided that. Oh well.

What good things can we say?

1. The rooms are larger than many in the area, even if they burn you.

2. The staff are generally nice albeit quickly turning apathetic on account of the mainland influx whose presence is obviously from the background of screaming, zero elevator manners, and no durian signs..... and now no mangosteen either as it seems the mainland tourists like to spit out the pits onto the bed sheets staining them purple.

3. Some rooms have a view and it is possible to sleep here.

The shame with this property is that is has potential to be so much better -- if not for the long-term failure of management to repair the F&B side.

Room Tip: Avoid the food and careful in the shower and make sure security holds a parking spot for you in advance and you'll be fine.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear B P,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of the hotel. It is nice to hear that you are a regular visitor to the hotel. Your willingness to spare some of your time to relay your comments is genuinely appreciated. We do apologize for your overall dissatisfaction. We have taken note of your valuable comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Connie D

Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is good ,quit and good for relaxing . But the cleanliness very bad ,, the mosqitoes are everywhere in the ground floor ( inclouding the restaurant ) ,, I really disappointed ( it's the international Holliday inn :(

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Aljowder13
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Dear Aljowder13,

Thank you for your feedback. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. I'm sorry our hotel fell below your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we offer to our guests.

Lera P

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful experience with concierge, they organised a day trip, tuktuk's, taxi's & even scooter hire. The staff in every area were very attentive & polite. The breakfast provided something for everyone. Thankyou

• Stayed: June 2013