“Back again and happy again”

Holiday Inn Chiang Mai
Ranked #54 of 386 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed here before and my first visit was by accident as my original booking in another location had been mislaid. From this accident began my love affair not only with Chiang Mai but also with the Holiday Inn.

Let me cut straight to the chase as I can only appreciate that after a while you may get bored hearing me rave about some big hotels. Hence, what’s so special here that I chose it as my favourite location?

Try booking a non smoking room from the 16th floor or higher and with a view over the river ping. At night, move your sofa by the window, switch off all the lights, open a bottle of wine, have some snacks at the ready and enjoy the city lights.

As for breakfast, I particularly liked the complete choice available here and the lovely setting by their terrace, which allows you to eat al fresco and enjoy the fresh air of a northern location, quite a start of the day compared to hectic Bangkok.

The complimentary drop off and pick up to the night markets is a must see in Chiang Mai. If you head to the markets, cancel that dinner booking as there is so much good food available that your belly will plead for mercy.

With regard to the rooms, I suspect that they have never changed the decoration here since I was in my nappies and that was a very long time ago. It may look somewhat tired but it is classic and super comfortable. I always get a good night sleep here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the river Ping
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Federicoita
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Chiang Mai

Reviewed December 28, 2012

after 4 years I have checked in again to this hotel. the reason to go there was, that my previews 3 stays was very convenioned and excellent at any issue. but now things have changed.
It seems that after so many positive comments the staff have reduced the affords to stay on high ranking. All positive impression from the past has lost. even small things are not done - in my room the bath light was not to switch off.
Staff friendly by unprofessional way. the very excellent breakfast buffet now just above the average may even not.
anyway, for my next visit to Chiang Mai i consider to book an other hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Try this hotel without any experience....just trust on brand... Hotel is a little bit old but still fair maintenance... Pool looks old and not located in appropriated place. Upon riverside, I think hotel is not fully utilized this. Gas station and 7-11 are just across the street. Bakery 50% discount after 7 pm. Breakfast fair.... Focus on group tour. Then, there is so crowded during evening at the lobby and morning for breakfast

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Sometimes I wonder how a hotel is rated a four star. I booked holiday inn chiang mai for a group of seven of us having read rave reviews about the pleasant staff. The first shock was when the front desk lady who checked us in, extremely rude, no hello, no smile and when we asked her if the room had wifi and if the room included breakfast the answer was a sneer and a very rude no. We were not trying to get any freebie out of the hotel, we had booked the rooms about a month ago and did not remember what it included. A polite no could have worked. . Another day when we were waiting for the elevator, the bellboy who was also waiting just pushed us aside and got I to the elevators when. It arrived, we were so surprised that we didnt know what to say. The guy then had the gall to tell us to come in as there was enough space. Doesnt hotel etiquette dictate that the bellboys let the guests take the elevator first even if they have to wait for the next? We were thoroughly disappointed and wouldn't recommend this hotel to any of our friends. No amount of apologies will erase the bad taste this experience left us with. Overall a very unpleasant and unfriendly lot...

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed here for 3 days as part of a Thailand tour and I picked this hotel solely on the fact it was a Holiday Inn, the same as I had booked in Bangkok and Patong.
This hotel must have been a very fancy place in the past as everything is in a very big and grand scale, unfortunately it is starting to look a bit dated and some of the fittings are getting tatty.
Despite this we made the best of it and although the pool area was in a similar state to the rest of the hotel we found it almost empty each day and although this hotel is situated in a quite busy part of the city the pool area is nice and secluded so we enjoyed a bit of peace and quiet after being in Bangkok.
This hotel is not in the busier tourist part of the town but its not that far and it runs a free bus there day and night.
The food at the buffet is not really up to the spec. of other Holiday Inn hotels Iv'e stayed in and the reviews about flies and Cockroaches sadly are true.
The first night we arrived we went for the buffet, which may be cheap but the amount of flies I seen caused me to walk without eating. On the last morning before we left I did see a cockroach crawling over the counters where the guys were cooking omelets :(
I'm shure there are better hotels nearer the night market area that would be better than this.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JAMIE W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear JAMIE W,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and thank you for staying with us. I am deeply sorry we fell below your expectations. Your comments about the food has been documented and will certainly be looked into. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

hotel very good. very pleased with staff.
fell ill due to the "european thai bar and grill" (very bad resturant) which was bssed in the old town in chiang mai.
however the staff took me to the hospital the next morning and looked after me.
room very clean
free wi fi

Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Overall the room was of good value for what we paid and what we got. We took advantage of the 30% off and free breakfast rate. Have to admit I probably would not pay more if such a deal was not in place though.

The location was good. It is near, but not walkable, to the night market and all the restaurants. It was not so bad because the hotel had a complimentary shuttle to the night market every half hour and also had pick-ups too back to the hotel, though not as often. The ride was under 10 minutes.

The staff was friendly and helpful. They might pass you around until they find someone who can speak English well enough to understand you but they tried very hard to address your questions.

We were here at Christmas time and the lobby was decked out in Christmas decorations. They had a Christmas dinner for 1,850 baht per person and it was fabulous, featuring huge prawns, oysters, king crab, two types of lamb, two types of duck, beef wellington and two other beef choices, Parma ham, and soooo much more. There was live music and even some school kids came by to sing carols. There was a beautiful ice carving of reindeers pulling a sled. Santa paid a visit too, giving kids small gifts and adults cookies. The cookies were pretty bad but it they get an A+ for all their efforts to make the occasion as festive as possible. The daily breakfast buffet was decent too. Omlett station plus something from every culture. We also had their lunch buffet at River Terrace and it too was good. It was 250 Baht person and it featured a pasta, salad, noodle soup bar, plus plenty of curries and other food items.

The room we had was very generously sized. I estimate it to be over 650 square feet, bigger than my apartment in college. We got an upgrade because of our platinum status. There was a huge bedroom, master bath with 2 sinks, separate, tub and shower, plus a separate space for the toilet and bidet, a living room, and a foyer. It was nice to have all the separate spaces because my husband could nap with the doors shut and I can watch TV in the living room.

Now come the downside. 1) There is no free wifi even for platinum guests. You have to either pay by the hour or go to the lobby for free wifi. 2) The bathroom constantly had a bad odor, especially in the part of the room where there is the toilet and bidet. Flies were even sitting in the bidet, attacted to the smell we think. We suspect it is the open drain in that part of the room but who knows. By the time we realized it, we had already gotten settled in and didn't bother to complain. Maybe other rooms are not like this one, but we felt the need to keep the bathroom doors shut so the smell did not linger throughout.

Overall for what we paid and what we got, it was a good value. I can tell the staff works very hard and are proud of the property.

Room Tip: Room 512 was HUGE and had a view of the river. One might assume that all rooms above and below 512...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple