“After 5 visits over 8 years, I look forward to the next 6 in Royal Princess ChiangMai”

Dusit Princess Chiang Mai
Ranked #55 of 375 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Location : The location is very ideal for travelers. Right outside it's front door is part of the extended night market which extends 0.5 km to the left and 0.5 km to the right. Exchanging currency is easy, there are two Thai banks across the street. There's a starbucks and mc donald on it's left and further down is the older Night Bazaar which is a big one. To the right, just 50 meters down is another night market and restaurants. And several massage stations that go for Baht 150, I think it was. Saw gellato stations, stalls that sell fresh fruits, dry fruits stands, spices, back packs, decors, clothes galore ! You can spend an hour or much more in this area.

Steps away is a Japanese buffet restaurant that is fully airconditioned for Baht 200; and another one that serve bento box meals for Baht 150.

Pricing : Moderate .... Affordable ... Worth it if not more that what we pay.

Breakfast : Very good daily buffet breakfast for me. If you are a gourmand, you might want to cross the street instead. For culinary ( more $$$$$ ) meals.

Floor Area : 32 sq m .... which is a gem. More and more hotels are doing 24 sq m. Oh please. The managers should try living in them. Here in Asia, any hotel with less than 24 sq m needs should be in the bottom of the list.

Amenities : Ensuite bathroom with tub and shower, room safe, AC.

I'm excited to be back. Will take a few friends along. And I'm not even in the travel industry.

Most of my travels now are for leisure. So, i don't access my emails when overseas. Clients sms or call my mobile phone if they need me. This hotel's internet service is expensive. Cross the street instead.

Caveat : Most floors have renovated rooms. A couple or so have yet to be renovated. Even if not yet renovated, the rooms are bearable. I don't like to complain much when I'm on holiday with the rates this hotel charges. For those that have high standards, there
are two that may suit your taste buds - on the same street. And one that is on the other end of the night market that I think is "to die for".

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Oskrehoboth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
UK
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Had 4 nights in Chaing Mai.

Walked out of the hotel straiight into the night markets so perfect location.

Loads of cheap places to eat too.

Hotel was clean and staff friendly, no need to stay in the posher hotels.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Had 3 nights here and for our purposes was a great choice. The location is its big selling point, as its right in the middle of the night markets that line the street in front of the hotel and across the road from the night market area. Also plenty of decent food and bars within a couple of minutes walk. The hotel was still under renovation and there was banging and noise from 9am-5pm, which didnt bother us at all, but if we intended on sleeping in, it might have been a concern. Our room was on the 9th floor and had already been renovated. Overall, the room was nothing out of the ordinary, but was comfortable and the bathroom was great, except for the poor design of the shower area, which let water flood out onto the bathroom floor whenever you used it. The view we had was to the wall of the building next door, but really, there's not much of a view around Chiang Mai anyway, so you're not missing out on much. The pool area was ok, it was a bit tired and in need of a face lift and the pool bar wasnt manned, so you had to ring from the phone there for drinks, but its not a hotel you want to be at to sit around the pool anyway. We had breakfast included and it was more than acceptable, not the best we had in Thailand, but a good selection of western and asian. The rest of the hotel was clean and well kept and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I also made use of the hotel transport service, which was only 100baht to get to the airport in one of their mini vans, very reasonable. I would have no problem staying here again, but for me, 3 days in Chiang Mai was enough, as there isnt a lot to do aside from an elephant camp (go to Mae Tang river camp with ox carts and bamboo rafting, its awesome) and tiger kingdom day trip, a rainforest flying fox and the night markets.

Our pics were the all you can eat sushi on the corner at the lights to the right of the hotel, the cafeteria in the Alare markets across the street and to the left about 200m and the open air bar there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 28, 2010

We stayed here for 5 nights with my two young children. We had a inter-connecting room which was fantastic so we could all have privacy!

Room was large, very clean and modern. All the staff were amazing, porters, door men, reception, restaurant, bar & cleaners couldnt do enough for you.

Most of all we loved the location, right in the action and great to go back to our hotel when we needed a break from the heat & to rest our feet!!

We would stay here again and really cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Kimmy80
Reviewed May 6, 2010

After reading some reviews on Trip Advisor I was a little apprehensive about this hotel. My fears were unfounded. All the staff were very friendly & helpful. Many were keen to practice their english language conversation skills & we had a great time talking with them.
Our room was large,clean & comfortable & serviced everyday. The carpet & paint work were new.
The only comment I could make re the bathroom was there was some mould on the grouting. I had actually taken disenfectant cleaning cloths with me as I was worried re the cleanliness of the bathroom, the packet came home unopened.
Breakfast was great, loved the pancakes & french toast, & the pineapple was increadible, even better than ours in Australia.
We ate in the hotel cafe a few times, only complaint was tough pork/chicken.
The location could'nt have been better - right in the middle of the night markets with a Strakbucks a few door down.
We loved Chaing Mai & will return. Would definetly stay at the Royal Princess again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dimckay
Brisbane, Queensland
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Nice hotel in the heart of the night markets. Close to everything. Good value for money with a full buffet breakfast included every morning and a newspaper delivered to our room everyday. When we arrived we found our toilet leaked, they sent someone up to fix it. We went out and when we returned later we found it was still leaking. We went down and told them at reception and they had us in our new room in a matter of minutes.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank addictedtotravell
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 4, 2010

This hotel is located near the night market so everything is within walking distance. This is a plus (not having to haggle with tuk-tuk drivers). The rooms are bit pricy for the quality. The breakfast is not worth paying for if it is not included with your room. The staff was very friendly, which is common for most hotels in Thailand. That being said, I knew I was going into a lower-end hotel when I booked the room. However, I have stayed at nicer hotels in Thailand for a cheaper price so this hotel did not meet my expectations. You pay for the location here; if you only go for a four day trip like I did, and you plan to shop a lot, then take this room as you won't spend much time in it :-)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends