“Best of northern Thailand”

Dusit Princess Chiang Mai
Ranked #56 of 383 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Crescent Head, Australia
“Best of northern Thailand”
Reviewed August 9, 2009

My wife and I visited Thailand for the 2nd time earlier this year.We flew to Chiang Mai from Singapore and stayed at the Royal Princess which is in the heart of Chiang Mai and the wonderful night markets. The Royal Princess is a handy 3 star hotel- but some rooms are better then others. Be sure to book the superior rooms. We chose not to eat in the hotel as we enjoy sampling the many varied eateries that are nearby. From Chiang Mai it is possible to tour further north towards the border . We chose an overnight tour to the Golden Triangle which included a night in Chang Rai, an elephant camp, a longtail river cruise and many beautiful temples and ancient ruins. This northern tour highlights what I feel is the REAL Thailand experiencing the food, culture,sights and people.( Very unlike the frenetic and artificial Phuket!)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed August 4, 2009

Royal Princess is located just where the cluster of hotels are outside the Old City of Chiang Mai. It's just adjacent from Le Meridien, so you won't miss it.

Stayed there 2 nights with my mom on a 5-day trip to Chiang Mai, and it was the most pleasant, unpainful hotel experience ever.

Right opposite the hotel's main door is an internet cafe, which charges 1baht/minute. Next door to this internet cafe serves really good authentic Thai coffee-shop styled food. I'm missing their white rice with garlicpork already.

• Stayed July 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Stayed for four nigts in July 09. Second time here, booked direct via the hotel web site. It is part of the Dusit group.
Overall had an enjoyable stay. A good sized room, clean and functional.
Staff were efficient, excellent breakfast, a Western and Asian mix. Hotel transfer was punctual and efficient.
The hotel is located right in the heart of the night market so it's a good spot for shoppers. Plenty of dining and drinking options within a few minutes walk.
Outside,transport options are plentiful and reasonably priced.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Palm Harbor, FL
Reviewed July 19, 2009

I booked this hotel as part of a "go holiday" fly and stay promo with Air Asia. They offered a nice discount on the package, which included a deluxe room and free airport transfers. The shuttle bus driver met us at the airport and returned us there 3 days later - perfect. They have a bit of a scam going at this place. They show you the room you booked, but offer you a nicer room for additional money.

1) The 7th floor deluxe room did not have a desk or a convenient place to put my laptop computer. We took the 8th floor room upgrade for an additional B600 per night. The view is nothing special. 2) Breakfast was delicious every day. 4) The pool was okay with padded lounges. The exercise room was okay with some free weights, A/C, water & towels. 3) I was disappointed that they charged me for laundry, since I was told I would get 2 "sets" per day for free. I wanted to apply my 3 days credit (6 sets = 12 pieces) for one load of laundry (.5 kilo) and they refused. 4) I was very happy that they sent my girlfriend's forgotten t-shirt to BKK airport - at no charge! That made up for the laundry issue. 5) Since we were entitled to a free drink each day at the lobby bar as part of our upgrade package, we both ordered Long Island Iced Tea one day. Two bartenders kept us company the whole time we sipped our drinks. We saw another customer with 3 girls entertaining him while he drank. Nice service! 6) The lobby is beautiful polished granite and the staff is always smiling and helpful. 7) The tour desk is convenient, but more expensive than other travel agencies in town. I saved B3000 on my Doi Inthanon tour by using Gem Travel http://thaifocus.com/ If you want a private tour in a new Toyota Camry, there is a guy named "Pooh" hanging out in front of the hotel 082-1818359. We went with him our first day to the elephant camp.

We ate across the road at Dukes twice - excellent food. I would recommend the full slab of ribs for 2 hungry people. We went to the Maetaman Elephant Camp and Bamboo Rafting. Nice day. Stopped at Maerim Monkey School and Tiger Kingdom on the way back. I would skip the Tiger Kingdom, since it is a ripoff. Also had dinner and watched the show at the Old Chiang Mai Cultural Center. It's interesting the first time, but this was my second visit and found it boring. Same thing with our visit to Doi Inthanon National Park. It's the highest point in Thailand, which means it's cold, so bring a jacket. It was also rainy, windy and foggy the day we went - not ideal. The first time I visited the pogodas of the king and queen, it was sunny and warm. The gardens are amazing here, as are the carvings, the buddhas in each chedi and the views of the surrounding countryside. Chok dee (good luck)!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank risky111
seattle
Reviewed May 19, 2009

We wanted to stay at this hotel. The rooms look great. However, the management needs to change. I was squirted with a super-soaker water gun while standing INSIDE at the front desk by the MANAGER. He squirted me in my face and chest and would not stop (although I asked him several times and tried to push his gun away) until my husband came and physically took the water gun from him. Only later did we find out that this man was the MANAGER. Although this occurred during the Songkran festival, we would have expected this behavior to happen OUTSIDE in the streets, not inside the hotel lobby and that the manager would stop spraying me in the face/chest when I asked him the first time. We left the hotel since we do not want to support such an establishment where the management thinks they can do anything they want. The other staff were nice and apologetic about the incident, but looked too scared to say anything to the manager on our behalf.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank lisadaisy
Berkshire
Reviewed May 19, 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights at the end of April after having stayed for 3 nights in a 5* hotel Bangkok. We were prepared for it to be a lot less luxurious but in some ways it was a pleasant surprise but it was let down by minor niggles.

We were offered a room on the third floor and asked if we wanted to upgrade. As the rooms on the lower floors seemed poorly decorated and the one we were offered was very small and the bathroom looked like it needed to be refurbished we agreed to upgrade. Unfortunately the air con in the upgraded room was broken and so we were moved again to a room on the 8th floor. We paid a discounted rate for the upgrade which included breakfast, free internet access and one free drink at the bar each night.

Upon returning home, when I was surfing the net I came across the hotel's website and noticed the Superior rooms are all located on floors 2 to 5 and the Deluxe rooms on floors 6 to 9. As we had booked and paid for a Deluxe room at the time of booking I am now in communication with my travel agent as to why we were charged for this upgrade when that was what we had already paid for!

The only other thing that let the hotel down slightly was the breakfast which wasn't up to the standard of other hotels we stayed in. It wasn't bad it was just a bit luke warm and the croissants were a bit heavy.

Apart from that we found the hotel to be very conveniently located. The staff were always very pleasant and polite and the facilities and service were good. The hotel was always kept very clean. I would definitely recommend a Deluxe room (on floors 6 to 9) as these appear to have been recently redecorated in comparison to the lower floors where things looked a little tired. The reception area is beautiful and in the evenings there was a pianist playing really lovely music which was most welcome after a hectic day and the bussle of the night market.

When eating out the best restaurant in the area by far was the Gallery, which is located a short Took Took drive away on the river bank. We also visit the elephant training camp, where we took a ride on an elephant, visited a hill tribe and then after an excellent lunch took a bamboo raft leisurely down the river. This was an excellent day out and well worth the money.

If the check-in/upgrade service is improved at this hotel, along with the breakfast and the lower floors were to be redecorated then this hotel would be faultless. I would return to this hotel but I would be much wiser next time and make sure I got the correct room I had paid for!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HolidayAddict2009
New Delhi
Reviewed May 14, 2009

Absolutely amazing service, cleaniness, food everything........ Fantastically located .. in the middle of night bazaar.... Awesome experience.....

• Liked — Everything...
  • Disliked — not applicable
Stayed January 2008, traveled on business