“Great Service and location”

Dusit Princess Chiang Mai
Ranked #56 of 389 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We stayed here in June. The checkin procedure was efficient and pleasant. We had booked two rooms and asked for them to be next to each other as we were travelling with our teenage children. Unfortunately two rooms together were not available for the first night, however the lovelly lady who checked us in assured us we could move the next day. The rooms were large and clean, although the carpet probably needs to be replaced, you can see that they are in the process of upgrading around the hotel and I'm sure that it is on the list. Wifi was free and very fast. There were two spare pillows in the top of the wardrobe and the bathroom was a good size with shampoo/conditioner, moisturiser, shower cap, shaving kit all replenished daily. Our view from the window was the back of another building, and an alley, but we didn't book the place for its view. The hotels location is perfect, the night market is right outside the front door. There was maintenance work being done on 1 of the 2 guest elevators which meant a long wait on most occasions or you could go up a flight of stairs to the left and use the staff elevator, which I think was much faster than the other one anyway. There are plenty of places to eat nearby and it is close enough to the old city to walk there if you feel energetic. Taxi touts at the front of the hotel became more and more insistent each day we were there and it was tiresome to have to run the gauntlet each time we left the hotel. I don't blame the hotel for this, it is beyond their control. Overall we had a great stay and wouldn't hesitate to stay at the Royal Princess again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
PRdpcm D, Public Relations Executive at Dusit Princess Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2014

Many thanks for your time to complete this comment.

We are so glad that you impressed while staying with us.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to our Royal Princess Chiang Mai soon.

Reviewed July 11, 2014

You step out of this hotel straight into the night markets and for a shopaholic like me was perfect. The service was great, the rooms really nice and clean. It may be a little more expensive than others but I still had a great deal so thought it was good value. The breakfast, which was included, was amazing...so much to choose from! I would recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Some renovations happening atm so choose a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
C_Racharit, Manager at Dusit Princess Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2014

Thank you for staying wiht us and time to provide this comment to which we shared with all staff.

We all look forward to welcoming you to our Royal Princess Chiangmai again soon during your next visit to Thailand.

Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with a family of 5. Upon c/i the receptionist told us that we were upgraded to better rooms. We could not really tell the difference but the gesture was very nice. The rooms itself are OK (except for the carpet, hate carpet and looks bit dirty). I would like to point out the lobby bar; which was great to watch the World Cup. The employee (in argentine tenue) working during the Netherlands-Costa Rica match was very friendly. Please send my compliments to him. I would certainly recommend this hotel due to the exceptional location and easy-going atmosphere of the hotel.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for staying wiht us and time to provide this comment to which we shared with all members.

We learn form your kind comment and have passed your complimentary message to the staff.

We all look forward to welcoming you to our Royal Princess Chiangmai again soon, especially when we complete upgrading the entrance, lobby hall, carpet in rooms, on corridorand facilities before end of this year.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

The location of this hotel is awesome. At night the street it is on essentially becomes the Night Bazaar with shopping lining every sidewalk and from there is a short walk to the main market. It is also right across the street from McDonalds and Subway and there is a Starbucks nearby. The price of the hotel is reasonable, though a bit on the high side for Chiang Mai. Still, if staying in Chiang Mai during weekdays with the purpose of shopping it is hard to beat the location.

For the actual hotel I have mixed feelings. I've stayed here in August 3-consecutive years in row. As of the last time I was here (Aug 2013) the two biggest issues were the age of the hotel and the swimming pool. The pool I suspect (though can’t say for certain) it gets used by non-guests (perhaps paying the hotel a fee – perhaps just coming on own – or maybe they actually guests) because for the low season I've always seen this pool packed. It is on the small side too, which makes the pool really not all enjoyable due to how crowded it was.

As for the age of the hotel, the lobby, the outside, the seating next to it, front part where pull up to park etc is maintained and in good condition, but there is a musty smell in the halls the rooms are in, and the same for the rooms. We however did have smoking rooms (though were not smoking) so perhaps (not sure) this applies only to smoking floors.

The biggest complaint I have is they allow VERY AGGRESSIVE touts to hang out outside of their hotel. We had one that was very difficult to say no to. He followed us to our restaurant, followed us everywhere we went. What he was offering was cheap saying 500 baht per day for a car and would take us all these places (likely because he gets commissioned at those places and will try taking to others he can get commission from). He was so aggressive and wouldn't take my no as answer that for my only time in Thailand ever I snapped, going off on him. Don’t bother me, don’t talk to me, don’t come near me! I was loud and this isn't in character for me, but he followed me every day anywhere I walked. (Note to management: this is the older white haired tout).

For the rest of our stay after I went off on him he stayed and worked across the street, but there were other touts in the area. We went outside looking to hire a Songtaew (red truck) when we got bombarded by these touts which still on Royal Princess Property. I told them no this is what we were doing, and they kept saying but we have a car and just don’t like hearing no. But we just waited to flag one down. Finally a security guard working the front of the hotel told them to stop. Then he even called one for us. We’re Thai speakers and he told us later in Thai that he had a problem with them, that they were mad he assisted us in getting other transportation.

Really most things about this property are fine. The rooms are about average but the location is a great base when looking to be in this area. But after staying here 3-years in a row I've decided not to stay here again for my coming trip. The main reason is how aggressive the touts are and that I want a better pool. Granted this means less ideal location, and also paying a bit more for luxury. For someone that this fits well in the price range for that wants to stay in this area, I’d still recommend granted with the 3 issues I just mentioned as heads up. For this coming year we’ll stay elsewhere and for the future I’ll wait to see how staying elsewhere goes.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jim G
C_Racharit, Manager at Dusit Princess Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Thank you for returning to saty with us and time to complete this details.

All have been shared with staff and people in fron tof the hotel, how our guest feel about their behavior.

Size of our swimmng pool could not be extended to a larger one but we reinstate ourselves to look after our client, no matter it is crowed or empty.

For your kind information and alternative, we have our sister hotel branded dusit d2 which is located on the same area and not right on the street which will not be closed to those people selling tour.

We all really look forward for your next reutrn to experience or new entrance, lobby hall, facilities, elevators which are upgrading and will be completed before end of the year.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

Very clean hotel, but expensive for Thai standards. Restaurant offered a lot of selection. Staff very helpful and had decent english speaking skills. Hotel is located on the strip of the main night market which is worth checking out. NIce fitness center and pool area

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
C_Racharit, Manager at Dusit Princess Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2014

We all look forward to welcoming you to our Royal Princess Chiangmai again soon, especially when we complete upgrading the entrance, lobby hall and facilities before end of this year.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

As most people write, the location is central to what is going on in town. Plenty of bars, restaurants, market stalls all within easy walking distance. If you come out of the hotel and turn right to the main junction then right again along the waterway you come to another area with many restaurants and bars. Many are vegetarian but Italian and Thai also.

Cheap massages can be had in close proximity to the hotel and bars at the indoor market have live music, pool tables, board games etc.

The hotel itself is adequate if you don't set your sights too high. It is clean but poorly maintained. The one area of disappointment was the pool area and bar. The hotel employs someone to service the bar but they are not given the tools to do so efficiently. A glass of wine involved the polite young waiter going back to the main hotel bar and coming back several minutes later with another staff member who was quite insistent that I purchase the bottle. The canned drinks in the fridge at the pool bar were caked in grime and dirt around the rim. After rinsing under the tap the white towel became black when wiped over the can. The hotel bar itself lacks atmosphere.
The staff are friendly and provide a professional and wam welcome. If you just need somewhere to lay down your head at night then this is a good place at the right price.

Room Tip: See the room first before accepting it. The lifts can involve a long wait as they are slow and frequ...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Corcoran1
C_Racharit, Manager at Dusit Princess Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

We learn form your kind comment that extending Thai hospitality is our core practice in the hotel and company.

Maintaining and preparation is area we have teken note for an improvement to which we all aprrecaite your comment in details.

We all look forward to welcoming you to our Royal Princess Chinagmai again soon, especially when we complete upgrading the entrance, lobby hall and facilities before end of this year.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

My stay at the hotel absolutely stood out because the staff there foster such an amazing culture of truly exceptional service. In every little way, they just have it down. If it's raining, the staff will give you an umbrella before you think to ask for one and provide you with a towel when you get back. If you look exhausted, or thirsty, a drink will appear as if by magic. I was taking the lift back to my room and the Housekeeping Manager introduced himself to me, and asked me if there was anything he should be improving on, and it all felt very genuine. Plus, lovely little touches like free gifts in your room every night and a well-stocked fruit bowel just add to the feeling of professionalism.

I went in the wet season and yes, there were building works nearby and they are currently giving the hotel a bit of a necessary face-lift but for its class or even better, I've never been treated so well.

Also - The Night Bazaar is right outside the hotel entrance and you are close to all the nice restaurants and the ex-pat bars if you wish to partake.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo