“Pleasantly Surprised”

Dusit Princess Chiang Mai
Ranked #54 of 392 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Great location outside of the night markets. I was on the 6th floor, yet it was fairly quiet considering I overlooked the markets. I was expecting a typical 3 star hotel, however I was pleasantly surprised by the service and cleanliness. The rooms were fairly modern and the bathrooms were quite nice by SE Asian standards. I stayed in a similarly rated and priced hotel in Hanoi and the Royal Princess was well and truly ahead of that hotel! The only slightly negative comments I can give were that the bed was not very comfortable and the carpets in the room needed replaced. Overall, I was happy and would definitely stay here next time I'm in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Niti_Racharit, Manager at Dusit Princess Chiang Mai, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Thank you for your time and comment.

Points for comfortabel fo beds and carpet had been recorded for our replacement.

Once again, many thanks and look forward to welcoming you to our Royal Princess Chiangmai again soon.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Everything is right next to the hotel. You can easily get tuktuk or rent a bike/motorcycle, 40 baht for laundry, McDonald, nail shop, massage. Although it is in the night market but room is quiet, big and functional , sits in between old city and riverside. You just cannot do better than that. Service from the airport pick up to check in, check out are attentive and make you feel welcome and taken care of. They provide map, advices and operator even book restaurants and negotiate free pick up for me. The hotel has a summer package, so book from the hotel site is cheaper than Agoda or Hotels etc. Email response is promptly. I moved to another hotel after my 3 nights stay and found myself missing it. I will recommend this hotel to my friends and family, and to my dear friends in the hotel, I was the one from Canada.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank JoyStone

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Checked into Royal Princess, Chiang Mai on 5 Jul 13 for 3 nights. The room was clean and big. I always value a safe to keep my valuables. It has. Breakfast was good, and food plenty. It was cleaned after my daily tour. Air conditioning was good . Nothing I can complain of , except that room given with no viewing. Wi fi was available both lobby and room.

Night market and fast food outlets was just outside the hotel. Can stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cheedad

Thank you for your time and comment.

Once again, many thanks and look forward to welcoming you to our Royal Princess CHiangmai again soon.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

This cosy hotel is located right smack in the middle of the night bazaar. Perfect place if you're into markets. We requested a room on the higher floors, never heard a peep from the busy street outside, bliss!!.Excellent quality meals and service from the in-house restaurant too. Happy to stay put for two weeks, yep, that's right, 2 weeks. Thank you Royal Princess!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Travel8791

Reviewed July 11, 2013

My second visit to Chiang Mai. Stayed at three hotels and the Royal Princess was my top pick of the three. R.P is located at the door step of the Night Bizarre. Service was very good. WIFI connection was adequate. Although, the internet on the two public computers in the foyer often did not work properly. Room was clean, large and nicely appointed. Cable TV had good reception. For a short stay near the centre of Chiang Mai this is a good pick.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your time and comment.

Points for those two computers had been raised and improved.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I booked Royal Princess via hotels.com because the reviews seemed great and the location was perfect. While the location was absolutely amazing (right in front of the night market and the amazing lemongrass restaurant), the room and service was awful. When we arrived we found out that they hadn't booked us a king bed as we had requested and instead offered us a room with two twin beds. I asked to see if there was any other option and after a bit, they offered us a king bed in a smoking room. Just to note, we were told they would find us an alternative room (non smoking) the next morning but we were never contacted. When we got up to our room, we found that it had blood stains on the sheets and duvet, a very lovely surprise. When we called downstairs, they seemed in disbelief of the situation and reluctantly offered to clean our room. Housekeeping took one look at the bed, called someone on our room phone and spent five minutes talking and laughing with someone on the other line. She gave us new sheets and left. Futhermore, upon checking in, I asked if Breakfast was included to which the attendant responded yes. When we went to breakfast the next morning, we were handed a bill for 800+ baht. I spoke to the front desk and they told me they had a promotion for the breakfast cost and they could offer me that for the next day, but they could do nothing about the breakfast we had just eaten and would have to pay the full cost. It took me a second visit to the reception and a chat with the manager to finally have them waive the fee for a breakfast I was told was included in our room price. Finally, my favourite experience was at check out when the attendant told me that they had to charge me 80 baht for a hand towel they found that had coloured stains on it (blue, from my running shoes). We actually had to suggest ways for them to clean it and reassure them that the colour would indeed come out before the attendant told me that we didn't have to pay.

Overall, the hotel room was dirty (apart from the sheets, the carpet was pretty grimy in spots as well) and the staff wasn't really willing to accept their mistakes and help us correct them. I do want to mention that the tour desk operator and bell staff were exceptionally kind and helpful. Apart from them and the location, this hotel was the worst I've actually ever stayed in, and I definately won't return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank TruthfulAnon

Many thanks for your time and comment.

Please accept our sincere apology and it was my mistake have not looked into any details before and during your stay.

Have shared with all concerned head of departments to improve our services.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The Royal Princess is the perfect location if you are visiting the Night Bazaar in Chiang Mai. Its central location in the middle of town makes walking around easy except when you return during the night market. Although not too much of a problem, be aware that you will be dodging stalls on both sides of the footpath, right up to the hotel. But with plenty of eateries nearby (yes including McDonalds across the road), 7-11 over the road and the hustle and bustle of Chiang Mai and the Night Bazaar, the location is perfect. The hotel itself is a bit dated. The carpets really do need replacing as they are filthy but apart from that the rooms were tidy and clean. The plate of fruit was a nice touch. The staff were efficient although our room wasn't serviced until mid-afternoon after we returned from our daytime excursion.

Room Tip: We had a room on the side which was quiet but the view wasn't the best.