“Very courteous services which is critical for a hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Mercure Chiang Mai

Mercure Chiang Mai
Ranked #67 of 376 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Hong Kong, China
“Very courteous services which is critical for a hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Initially I've mixed feelings with this hotel, but at the end of the day I've no problem recommending it to any other ones. I'll try to make this review short by listing what I liked & disliked.

What I disliked (& I'm very picky): (1) Slippers, shavers & toothbrushes are not provided unless I pay for them (for standard room class); (2) You will need to call the Front Desk for them to deliver a hair dryer to your room (but this is a one-off process; once they handed the hair dryer to you it won't be taken back until after you've checked out); (3) They occasionally missed to refill the complementary tea & coffee bags for us (but when I called the front desk they will deliver to you again in no time); (4) breakfast buffet was really a disappointment (at least for me) - tastes so so, not too many varieties to choose from, not many changes from day to day, & seemingly no local Northern Thai dishes (like those Chiang Mai meat balls & sausages).

OK, now here's what I really liked: (1) Very, VERY courteous services from everyone in the hotel; all of the hotel staff including the front desk, bellhops, drivers & even room cleaners were so meticulously polite, friendly, eager & earnest to help, & always have a bright smile on their faces. I personally found this very comforting & enjoyable every time I returned to my hotel; (2) At the same price point, this is a Very large & grand hotel inside out (& I had compared directly by walking into other similar priced hotels nearby), looking superior from the front court to lobby area to back yard. (3) Large room & VERY large "Triple-King" sized bed. I'm confident to say this is the LARGEST double bed I've ever seen among my 25 years of frequent traveling experience (middle-priced hotels); (4) Another point that worth mentioning is the swimming pool. It was closed for renovation during my stay. So why would I list this as one of the things I liked? It's because I booked for my hotel well in advance, & about two weeks before I went there I received an SMS message notifying me the pool is being renovated & not available, so at least there will not be unpleasant surprise for us. And then when I arrived, I found out if I wanted to swim, they will provide free shuttle service to another nearby hotel for us to swim. So we gave it a try, and I realized the "free shuttle service" is actually your very own private driver & car, taking you at any (reasonable) time you wanted to go & return to the alternate pool!! And the pool there is actually a paid service & of course our hotel paid for us. I think this attentive arrangement more than make it up for the unavailability of their own pool.

Balancing the Pros & Cons, I'm still glad I chose this hotel & would recommend it to anyone going to Chiang Mai, looking for a middle-priced hotel (between guest houses & 5-star villa).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Seoul
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

The staff was very nice, but the hotel is in the middle of being renovated. We will probably stay there again after the renovations, but not until then.
The location is very good if you want to see things outside of the city walls. Rent a scooter for about $10 a day!
The value is great!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is a good value hotel not far from the centre of Chiang Mai. There are some shops and a large "Tops" supermarket next door. The rooms are a little dated, but the service more than made up for it. The swimming pool is clean, of a reasonable size and refreshing (read a little chilly) after a days' sightseeing in Chiang Mai. Breakfast was acceptable, although a little pricey. The tour service just outside the hotel (which we normally avoid, as they are usually over-priced) was very good and reasonable value.

Room Tip: Some rooms on the fifth floor are being renovated. I'd try for one of those.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank RealGoodBloke
MercureCNX, Manager at Mercure Chiang Mai, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that your stay at Mercure Chiang Mai was satisfied. However, our rooms and swimming pool renovation is expected to be finished by end of October 2012. we are looking forward for your return for staying in our new rooms.

Once again, thank you very much for your review and future return.

Yours sincerely,
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

old hotel ,but ok .exceipt bed to soft.and the price cheaps
very nice stay at this hotel..staff very hospitality and friendly ..near hotel have a good food ,cheaps & delicious..
hope can stay again in this hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lemana701
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

It was new years and this was the only hotel we could find available. We had been here before so we decided to go again. The hotel has become old but the hotel rooms are still nice. We stayed in the suite room and it was very comfortable and big. The new year dinner was very good and we enjoyed it!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends