“WARNING - Don't stay here!!!”

Kamala's Guesthouse
Ranked #108 of 801 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2013

As the title says, don't stay here! We had the cleaning staff go through our bags that we left in the room and they stole money from us!
Kamala tried to say that we couldn't prove it and it probably happened on our way to the airport but that isn't the case!

The hotel staff was nice to us until they found out we booked our tours online and not from them. Then they did a 180 a barly acknowledged us.

I would highly recommend avoiding this place, they are plenty of other guesthouses to stay at which won't rob you!!!!

1  Thank thomasbackpacker
Kamalas_CNX, Owner at Kamala's Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Hi Thomas,

I am really sorry what had happened to you. I have police to investigate this but you were not here to do the report to the police. I have been finding out this problem your behalf. No evidance that things had been stolen from the guesthouse according to the CCTV in the building. All my staff got investigated by police and made a record. You left my place without notify us striaght away which police find it hard to investigate and questioning you both. Only emails between you and that they had seen.

I have been trying to do my best for you two and I am so sorry to hear that you both are quite sure it happened in my place. I can't compensate everybody if no evidance. I hope you do understand me that all guest reviews mean a lot for this business. And I run this business with my profession and spiritual. I did my best for you. All the best.

Thanks,

Kamala khemapirak (Nok)

Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We moved to Kamalas Guesthouse from the Elegant Lana after we had had enough. With the breakfast included, it was a very similar price and very good for the location and what you got! The room was clean and cheerful, good air con, good tv, good bed, clean and modern bathroom - all very nice. The reception room was also great with everything you might need. Wifi was fine for us. The food was good. And most of all the staff were so cheerful and helpful. We really wish we had taken action sooner and spent our whole stay here!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank 4besie
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I like this place . Friendly staff , lovely owner . Close to city center . Great breakfast .
Comfortables bad and room . Clean and quiet . Can play pool table . Tour agency service and laundry service working good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Yes, the rooms are pretty large. The guesthouse is definitely ok, but not more. He are the backdraws:
- Wifi constantly breaking. Unable to seriously do anything online. Totally annoying when having to organize remaining trip.
- Noise: GH is very noisy. Despite of earplugs I woke up early from street noise and vendors outside. Even aircon is super loud so that you have to turn it off if you would like to sleep.
- slippery floor: the floor is extremely slippery. You can easily hurt yourself
- Not clean: my linen was extremely dirty. Same is true for bathroom which was obviously not cleaned from previous people staying there. Super dirty floor from shower. Was never cleaned during my several nights stay.
- Security box not working: defined my pin, put stuff in, closed and could not open anymore despite using my PIN. Could get key from reception to open it though. Did not leave any stuff in there afterwards. Also I asked reception whether they could secure it for me - they just put in their room without securing at all. I asked to get it back immediately and rather carried it all day.

During my SEA trip, I have stayed in a lot nicer GHs for less money. I am sure, there are better options for Chiang Mai to sweeten your trip. This was not my first Choice originally - other options were booked out.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hotel_Consult
Kamalas_CNX, Owner at Kamala's Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

I am really sorry to hear this and apologize that cause you unpleasant stay. I will definitely taking in for my top issue to improve this and train my staff more about how to do their job properly. As we are located in the centre of town, It really difficult to control the noise but we also have some room in the back of the building which is quite. Internet now I am using fiber optic connection 30mb. I will look into my software. The rubber floor is slippery because my maid put too much duster polish spray and I will look into this. I have already started to change all floor to be a proper tiles on unoccupied rooms since the beginning of last week. I am totally understand about slippery floor. Hopefully I have a chance to provide a better service to you again in the future.
Regards,
Kamala Khemaphirak

Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend are staying in this guesthouse for 4 nights and it is truly worth the money. We have a twin bed shared bathroom with a/c and pay only EUR 5 per person per night. The rooms are super clean, the beds are more than nice, staff is friendly, great location (near the old city) and the café below is good to chill-out. All in all, a really cheap place to make you feel like home. Really recommend this place.

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights, two in a double en suite room and one in a double room with shared bathroom. The en suite rooms are huge, the beds are rock hard and the bathrooms are dated but have good shower units with hot water. The furnishings are adequate but the bare Lino floor is a bit harsh. The room with shared bathroom is smaller with a floating ceiling which had seen better days, we also heard scratching and scuttling throughout the night. We just put up a mosquito net and tried to ignore it, the shared bathrooms are ok if a little grubby, I think they are used by staff/long term inhabitants. They are full of shampoo bottles, soap etc. all in all not terrible considering an en suite room was £15 per night and the non en suite £8.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I honestly can't fault this place, my only disappointment was how quiet it was. That might sound strange but I'm a solo traveller and was hoping to meet some people through my stay at the guesthouse, which was pretty much impossible as there was no one around (even though the guesthouse was quite full). I stayed in a double room which was fantastic! Clean, good size, huge bed with clean linen, bathroom isn't luxurious but had everything I needed. Location is great, just outside the Old City, everything within walking distance. Staff are helpful after a bit of encouragement. The breakfast included in the room rate (if you opt for it) isn't worth the extra 100 baht. I paid 650bht per night including breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo