“Great location, helpful/friendly staff, average rooms”

Kamala's Guesthouse
Ranked #103 of 776 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We had reserved a room with a double bed and small deck on-line and received an email confirming our request. Unfortunately, our request was not properly recorded in the books (I'm not actually sure we were in the book at all) and we ended-up in a room with two twin beds and no deck. Not the biggest deal, but disappointing as this trip was our belated honeymoon/one year anniversary trip. Moreover, usually when a business makes a mistake such as this they offer free drinks or dinner--no such offer was made. The rooms are basic, but very clean and spacious. They have 2 wifi networks, one of which was usually working but we often had to bounce between them while searching the internet. We both thought the beds were hard and not the most comfortable (this could be said of most places in Thailand though). Aside from our initial check-in, the staff was incredibly helpful and always friendly. We booked all of our trips through the front desk (elephant camp, cooking class and Doi Suthep) and had wonderful experiences. The location is perfect, just outside the city wall within easy walking distance to everything; especially the Sunday Night Market. We ate at the Guesthouse and had one of our favorite dishes while we were in Thailand, it was an "egg salad" (fried egg over noodles). This is a nice newer guesthouse that is very spacious, clean, friendly, and has a great common room. It could be a great guesthouse with just a little more attention to detail.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Kamala's Guesthouse

Reviewed December 17, 2012

I had a great stay at Kamalas Guesthouse.I travelled on my own and I was very welcome at Kamalas guesthouse. It's owned by a british/thai couple and they know what hospitality is. I would def. go back here. They just opened the guesthouse in the summer of 2012, so everything is brand new, fresh and shiny.

The guesthouse is at the old city in a quiet street, close to the food market, main street, thai pae gate, nightmarket. Everything is just within a 10 minute walk.

The staff and the owners are super friendly and made my 6 day stay very pleasant.
Free wifi is available plus a computer in the hall for unlimited free use. Each room has a mini refrigerator, fresh towels every day. The shower is great, the best I had in Thailand, and the sheets are hotel-like quality. Good and quiet airconditioning + fan at your room.

To summerize the above, kamalas guesthouse is a very good deal for the price you are paying. Definitely worth a visit when you are going to Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank peggypositive
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I arrived here by accident, searching for a hotel. The staff was super friendly and the room was perfect, very good airco, good beds and very clean. The staff helped me with booking my meditation course and booked everything I wanted to do very good, the girls are really friendly and had a nice drink with them. Then there is Jojo, the chef. She is super nice and friendly and makes najmmie good food. Thanks for a lovely stay, if I'm ever in Chiang Mai again, I will surely come back here.

Greets, Sarah from Belgium

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Found it by luck on my first visite to Chang Mai, and with good beds ,food,service,and nice staff, made the visite worth repeating.It's close to the center of town which means no need for taxis at night, With all services in the guest house (good food, drinks,T.V. lounge and pool table) you don't have to move to enjoy yourself.You won't regret a stay here (if you are lucky enough to to get a room)

Room Tip: up to your budget,it wiil be good value
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

They were booked out so couldn't stay here but we ate here a few times. Food was excellent as was service. Well worth a try. We actually ended up getting breakfast here 5 times and met some French people staying here who absolutely lived it. Free wifi and pool table was great to pass time!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Ended up here accidently because Chiang Mai in was full. I got lucky and stayed here the rest for my stay in Chiang Mai. Rooms are too big for my small appearance and loved the big window attached to a mini balcony. With everything in it for only 400 baht, you dont need anything else. It is located in the middle of the centre, but you have the peace of a living area and the view of some ancient ruin from your window. Last but not least, the staff ladies are more then helpfull, very attractive ;-) and funny! :)

If you like an open guesthouse go to Kamala's!

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Clean, comfortable, cheap, perfectly located and above all: such a fun place to stay. Kamala's is how every guesthouse should be. You simply cannot beat the price for what they have to offer. Good food, clean and bright rooms, free WiFi, great vibes and a staff that goes out of their way to make you feel completely at home and give you advice on the best things to see & do in and around Chiang Mai. Although be warned: you might not even want to go out in the city at night, and just stay and enjoy a good laugh and a nicely chilled Singha in the lobby, with guests and staff. I definitely wouldn't want to stay anywhere else next time I go back to Chiang Mai. Perfect!