“Not our first choice, but an enjoyable trek”

Journey - Day Tours
Ranked #118 of 281 Tours in Chiang Mai
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were in Chiang Mai during Songkran so our first two choices for trekking tours weren't running. We ended up going with a one day trek with Journey. The van ride was a little nerve wracking... But we did make it to the trek safely. We started with bamboo rafting which was fun. The river was full of locals because of the New Year festival, which made it even better! Then we went on the elephant ride. We enjoyed this experience, but my husband and I agreed that the elephants are not treating properly at the place we used. It was not bare back riding, which I probably would have preferred. After the elephant riding we had lunch at a local Thai restaurant and the food was delicious! I only wish that the bathrooms were better as they were the only ones up to that point during the day. The trek was next, and we really enjoyed it, it wasn't too long and we stopped to swim at a waterfall halfway. The swimming was great and very refreshing! Continuing on the trek we stopped at the Karan village. This was very interesting but because it was during the festival not many people were there.

Overall we really enjoyed this trek, although I wish that our tour guide spoke a little more about where we were and what we were seeing. I was not disappointed, but not wowed either.

There are newer reviews for Journey - Day Tours

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We took a tour to an elephant park including elephant ride through a river, elephant show, bamboo raft trip down a river, ox cart ride through a rural village, lunch and orchid and butterfly garden. The tour guide was friendly and efficient, wasting no time as he guided us through the park. The tour was very cheap for the amount of sights we experienced in one day--costing around $30 per adult! This included pickup at our hotel in Chiang Mai.

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

We took two yours with Journey tours, one to Chiang Rai Golden triangle, long neck and another to Elephant farm.

The trip to the elephant farm was really very bad and I am really disappointed. The vehicle that came was in a very bad condition and old with a driver who didn't drive well and always talking on his cellphone while driving. Then we reached the elephant farm and it seemed nice. It's called the Maetaman elephant camp. They had nice elephants, we did a good bamboo rafting about half hour and an elephant show. We were served lunch which was included but NO WATER but coffee and tea was served. It was a catch to earn more money from you. They charged 30 Thai baht for 500ml of water at soft drinks etc. It was quite upsetting as we ended up spending about 200 Thai baht each on water and soft drinks. There was only one vegetarian item available even when we requested for vegetarian meals. The elephant ride and ox cart ride were 15 minutes each and there was a wait time of about an hour to get your turn. We felt very disappointed with the whole tour.

Then we took the Chiang Rai golden triangle tour. It was a good tour with nice vehicle, English speaking guide, lunch and water. Once again the meal had only one vegetarian option. It was long tour of about 14 hours and we enjoyed the tour.

Just remember to negotiate on there printed prices, I paid about 25% less than their printed prices for each tour.

Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

You will have many opportunities to meet and talk with other frangs. Use these encounters to seek out the good from the bad tours. I wish to offer some feedback on the actual sites/activities "packaged" by the operator rather than the operator.
We purchased a "Longneck" tour which was offered by most operators. Prices varied 900-1600B.
Let me give a short summary of our experience.
The guide was knowledgable and explained well
The Longneck visit was a makeshift collection of huts sporting their wares for sale. while we did meet some ladies in their necklaces which was fantastic to see. - the letdown was that the village was not authentic but a staged sideshow.

The trip to the Chiang Dao caves was a quick walk in for 5 mins then out again

The visit to the 2 villages was a sideshow as well. you would be better to stop at a farm village on the way between A and B and you will see more.

I was somewhat disappointed as I love Thailand and its culture. It has a lot to present to us frang but this tour method sadely fell short.
There are many diffrrent tours. I hope the others were better

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Would recommend trying a tour with Journey Day Tours if you have the budget for it while you're in Chiang Mai. They came recommended by our guest house. They told us that their guests never had anything bad to say about Journey, while when guests tried other tour companies, they usually had bad experiences. Our guide's name (she told us) was "Moon" and our driver's name was "Beer" :) (or at least that's what they told us to call them). We did the 1 day trekking tour, which cost us (if I remember) about 1000 baht each at the time of this writing. This included elephant riding, bamboo rafting, visit to the Karen village, trekking though rice fields and some jungle (abt 30-45 minutes, which included 3 bamboo bridges), and the trek ended at Maewang waterfalls for a nice quick dip before going back to our guesthouses. Like other tours, they will pick you up from your guesthouse, and serve lunch (which was delicious!).