“Impressed!”

Ranked #30 of 734 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Impressed!”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

My husband and I recently booked this b&b online and didn't really know what to expect. Early Bird Bed and Breakfast exceeded our expectations. The location was perfect with it being in the center of the old town. Great for the Sunday Market and visiting all the temples. From the second we arrived the young ladies were the most friendly we have met in Thailand. They were very personable without being pushy. Always making sure that our stay was comfortable and answering any questions we had (they spoke good english) It's always nice to be greeted by smiles. The rooms were very clean, tidy, and well decorated! I love the style of this place! It offered free wifi and air conditioning in all the rooms. You are given a nice selection for breakfast and could choose your time- I had yogurt with granola and fresh fruit. My husband enjoyed the main thai breakfast as well as traditional american breakfast. The small efforts left a lasting impression. From offering to send our postcards for us, affordable laundry service, heaps of dvds to choose from, candy treats. We ended up staying a few more nights then we intended to due to their hospitality and beautiful space. Overall if you are in Chiang Mai and want a quiet, peaceful, and well located hotel with incredible hosts stay at the Early Bird.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristi P

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Rarely have I encountered a place on my travels that I wished I could move in. The Early Bird B&B was one such place! I stayed only 2 nights but wished I could have stayed a year. Recently opened by Gig and Fah, two friendly young women from Chiang Mai, the Early Bird is a great value in the heart of the Old City.

We stayed in two different rooms during our stay and both were excellent: huge bathrooms with new fixtures, comfortable mattresses, flat screen TV's, and thoughtful touches (like shampoo/conditioner/bath gel, hair dryers, drinking water, safes, strong AC, etc). The wifi throughout the building was great too. And, wow, the decor was gorgeous! Whoever did the interior design has a real eye for style. Finally, other people already mentioned the huge and delicious breakfasts which were so good!

The owner Gig helped us to navigate the city, recommended places to eat, and even drew maps of how to find certain hard-to-locate places. She and her team are doing a truly excellent job and we strongly recommend this place to anyone looking to visit Chiang Mai.

Lastly, the Early Bird is located right next door to the Thai Orchid Cooking School and Wat Chedi Luang - two places you should definitely check out while visiting the city.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Adelaide
Reviewed May 17, 2012 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay at the early bird. The location is great nestled in a small street in the old city but within walking distance to places aroun the city. Rooms are light and clean with comfy beds. Breakfast is amazing, one of the best on my trip around Asia. You pick what you want the previous day, I had the yogurt, granola, fresh fruit, toast and coconut, it was very good and very satisfying!! There are also a huge selection of movies to choose from that you can borrow for free if it's raining or you need a brek from the heat. Thank you early bird, we will be back on our next visit to chiang mai!

• Stayed May 2012
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

Whenever I go to Chiangmai, I love to stay in the city for convenience's sake. Mostly I find that big hotels are boring and too much of a robotic staffs. Breakfast is lousy, coffee is crap.

Then one day I walked around Jedi Luang temple, I found this small, very small B&B in a small lane just across the temple. I decided to give her a try by staying for two nights.

The room was clean. I slept very well because the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was good; tasty and generous. Coffee is made fresh cup by cup. Good breakfast with aromatic coffee is the perfect way to start the day. I confirm that Early Bird has done this right.

Did I mention the staffs are very friendly? Yes, they are very friendly and helpful. The owner is also very lovely. She takes good care of every guest. So I feel more like staying in a home-stay rather than a hotel.

Whenever I have a chance, I'll stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank meawdom
Singapore
Reviewed April 28, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Early Bird for six nights over the Songkran period, and found it a very comfortable hideaway amidst the heat and madness of the festive season.

Location: The B&B is located in the Old City, across from the Wat Chedi Luang in a small soi alongside the 3Sis guesthouse. Taxi to the B&B from Chiang Mai Airport is 120 Baht (Flat fare; just approach the taxi desk at the airport). Getting around on a daily basis was easy, and we were never more than 10-15 mins' walk away from the Ta Pae and Chiang Mai gates, and 5 mins' walk to the night markets and food stalls. Tuk tuks and songthaews (pick-up taxis) can be flagged from the main road just outside, or you can ask the staff to arrange one for you.

Rooms: We stayed in a double room on the top floor (Level 3). Each of the rooms were given bird names and decorated accordingly, which is a nice and quirky touch. Our room was very clean and all the fittings worked well even though some parts of the walls and floors looked a little worn for a five-month old establishment (We learned later from the owner that her family had owned this property for some time and that she had only recently converted it into her own B&B. It was still a work-in-progress, and she and her small group of staff were working out the kinks).

Being on the top floor helped keep the noise levels down - generated mostly by guests chatting with the staff, or watching TV in the common hall. The walls are thin, and we're light sleepers, but we managed a good rest as all of the guests generally made an effort to keep noise at the minimum.

Service: We found the staff always ready to help us with our queries, and they also went out of the way to make food and activity suggestions based on our preferences, and to chat with us about our travels. No matter how busy, they were always warm and sincere, and looking for ways to make our stay comfortable.

Food: The daily breakfast can be ordered the afternoon before. Options are: American breakfast (eggs, bacon and sausages with toast), muesli and yoghurt option, or Thai breakfast (noodles or rice in broth, or chicken rice bought from a nearby street stall). There's always fresh local fruits to go along, as well as coconut juice, coffee or tea. Choice is limited BUT everything is tasty and servings are ample.

While they do ask you for your preferred timing, table service might be a little slow especially when many guests decide to eat at the same time. That's because they have limited hands in the kitchen and they do make the extra effort in their serving presentation, as well as ensuring everything is hot and fresh. If you have a tour or pick-up scheduled for the morning, best to emphasise this to the staff the night before. They might offer to make you a take-away sandwich instead so you needn't rush through your breakfast.

Other stuff we found useful:
- Free WiFi and ample sockets for our chargers
- A great collection of DVDs to borrow and watch in our room
- There's no mini fridge in the room, but you can request to use the ones downstairs if you need to chill your drinks. There are also drinks for sale at reasonable prices.
- The room didn't have a wardrobe, and not enough hooks to air out our clothes, so we asked for more hangers and hung them from the curtain rails
- There's a pick-up/drop off laundry service for 50 baht per kilo. Ours was done and delivered in 4 hours. Alternatively, there are lots of laundry shops around the corner and in town that will wash and dry for 30 baht per kilo
- Huen Pen Restuarant on Ratchmanka Road was recommended to us by the staff. A great place for authentic Northern Thai food. Walkable from the B&B, and relatively inexpensive.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor; as it can get occasionally noisy with guests coming and going, or watching TV in...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank iamwrkshy
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights in April 2012 and would definitely stay again. The staff is really friendly and always greets you with your name. If you have any problems they will do all they can to help you (I was sick with fewer and felt really good taken care of).

The rooms are simple but inviting. Also everything is "bird-themed" but not too much. The breakfast is ok. They also have a huge collection of DVD´s if you want to stay in your room and watch movies :)

Tip: Sunday night market is just some 50m away

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2012

The B&B has fun, contemporary decor and extremely cozy and well-furnished rooms. I felt more like I had my own little apartment than a hotel room. The windows opened up wide and let a lot of sunlight into the room, the bathroom was big, the whole room was clean, and there was a lot of furniture and space to spread my belongings out on. The lobby is cozy, and packed with TONS of DVDs that you can borrow and watch up in your room. Oh, and did I mention they have WIFI?

The breakfast is one of the best I've ever had - tasty, a lot of food, and healthy. I'm just sad I wasn't feeling well the whole time in Chiang Mai so I could barely eat. Faa was really sweet and seemed so concerned that I wasn't well, she even offered to take me to the doctor. Her and Gig took good care of the guests and always seemed interested in how you were doing.

The location is walking distance to many of the famous temples in Old Chiang Mai, and it's close enough to the night market that you can walk (it takes about 20 minutes).

Overall, I loved staying there - it honestly felt like my little oasis in the city, just what I needed when I wasn't feeling 100%

Room Tip: Try to stay higher up, the lobby area can get noisy due to the tv and guests walking in and out
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo