“A real rural adventure”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A real rural adventure”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

I cant recommend this trip enough! There are so many tour operators and trips on offer I didnt know how to choose. I wanted to see rural Thailand but not in a large tour group where you keep stopping for an elephant ride or cobra show. Pooh offered exactly this. A long but worthwhile and scenic drive out of Chang Mai. Our guide had excellent knowledge and was very friendly. Our night in the village was wonderful. In fact the food cooked here for us was without a doubt the best I tasted in Thailand! The trek on the third day was an exciting 3 hours through and across the river then through a bat cave. The trekking was pretty challenging at times due to the climbs and heat but our group had 2 children and they loved it,so definitely suitable for anyone with a sense of adventure.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Chez1000

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“It was interesting”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Went on a two day trek (3000 B).

The good:
Beautiful scenery (but honestly didn't really feel like I was in a jungle ... could have been a forest back home ... except for the beautiful rice fields etc).
Great food ... the food was surprisingly amazing
Our guide was cool

Mixed
The 'waterfall' -- this turned out to be about 3 feet high. While I had a great time playing in it I don't really feel that it counts as a waterfall ... more a rapid.

The awkward:
No one in the village really spoke English making it very hard to interact. It felt a bit like going to a zoo and looking at people. Sat up late drinking with the family which was also kind of weird. Having spent months working in similar villages where I learned to speak the language and really became a member of the community I didn't enjoy this.

I wish we spent less time in the car and more time hiking. The hiking wasn't too hard. Be sure to have some good sandals/watershoes/something to wear while walking through a river.

1 Thank Fritzel3
“Authentic Amazing Trekking Experience”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I would highly recommend this trip!! Myself and two friends were looking for a trek for 2-3 days from Chaing Mai and there were a few that were cheaper than this one but it is definitely worthy the extra money for the authentic experience. We ended up doing the 2 day one night trek that was offered and the trekking was beautiful, the home stay was interesting and everyone was really friendly. Our guide, Jack, was friendly, funny and spoke good English. Overall a fantastic experience.

Southampton, United Kingdom
“An experience not to be missed”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My friend and I were not disappointed with this 2 day trek it was so amazing . The drive to the beginning of the trek was long and bumpy at times but this all added to the fun and we got to know our fellow trekkers along the way. Much to everyone’s delight we were joined by the owners dog ‘Dang’ he was such a great character and we all loved him. We had a couple of stops en-route to stretch our legs, one of these being a market where we bought some local produce for our dinner later that evening. This was a fascinating experience in itself, just walking around the market taking in all the sights, colours and smells. Further along we were served a delicious lunch at a roadside café which provided the most amazing views.

The 1st day trekking was brilliant, we walked for approximately 6 hours taking in stunning views, village life, a village school & farmers tending their crops. Our guide (Mok) was very keen to point out many things of interest, he knew so much about the flora and fauna and was happy to answer any questions we had. Along the way he made everyone bamboo walking sticks and drinking cups which we were to use later at the Karen village. That evening he carved a picture of an elephant on each cup which I thought was a lovely gesture and I have kept mine as a wonderful keepsake.

We stayed overnight with the hill tribe people, who made us so welcome. Our evening meal was cooked by candle light on an open fire, it was delicious and most appreciated after our long trek. Our bed for the night was the floor, but we were provided with sleeping bags and mosquito nets to use. Not much sleep that night, woken by a cockerel’s dawn chorus at 4.30 am, but it didn’t matter - this was such a unique experience!

The 2nd day was equally as good with lots of walking, splashing through rivers, clambering over rocks and fallen trees, it was not always easy but our guide made sure that everyone stayed together and we stopped for short breaks when needed. The visit to the ‘Bat Cave’ was such a brilliant finale to the trek.

6 very tired people, a long drive back to Chiang Mai, but the most amazing experience ever, I loved it!

Visited June 2013
Montreal
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Unbelievably surreal”
Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

Pooh's trek is so real and authentic that when you get back you wonder how you ever made it. Cooking 3 entire meals out of bamboos that you chopped down and cooked in a campfire without any metallic utensils.... Wait what!? Ya that's right.

You will climb up and down hills and mountains the way the hill tribes have been doing it for centuries. You will trek along a never ending river stream that is basically one continuous waterfall. You will meet the tribe host and their family (which is never the same one), ask about their way of life. Meet their daughters and sons. No one will sell you anything. there are no options or upgrades. You will eat fruit that is freshly picked in front of your eyes. Walk by cattle, cross through different hill farms. I cannot stop emphasizing the word "authentic".

Words cannot describe the feelings that we all got whenever we entered a different landscape... I guess the term "Trekcstacy" is a feable attempt. Groups are small (max 6 people). Intimacy is guaranteed. Our guide Wijak has a fondness of nature and his knowledge plentifull.

This is not a light trek. You will be sore, wet, sweaty and dirty. All elements of a good time. I went in solo and met 5 other trekkers that also wanted something different. We went in as strangers and came out as travel friends.

If you want showers, a toilet bowl and air conditionning, this is not for you. If you want some dinky ride on a probabky abused elephant or some cheap 20 minute rafting ride, this if not for you. When I read reviews and travel books for trekking in thailand, I understood that most if not all of the popular ones are highly commercialized and are marketed to the mass public, which is fine by me if you want something light.

If you want something even more rugged, try the survival trek which usually runs during the cool and dry season.

You don't need money or your passport... Although some cash for whiskey is a fun idea ;) Follow the minimum packing requirements on the website. Bring a good pair of hiking sandals or amphibian shoes or waterproof hiking shoes.

All I can say is WOW WOW WOW.

3 Thank duttypersian