“Great experience... A must do!!”

Pooh Eco Trekking Day Tours
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I came to chiang mai 5 years ago and did a tribe trek with other company which was just all really touristy and staged!!! So i was not willing to try again and thanks god i did try!!! ;) this time we followed the advice of a friend and took on the Pooh's eco 2 day treks and loved it. The guide Ropon was excellent and knowledgeable plus the walks were great and full of beautiful sights specially the second day!!! The village we visited felt authentic and really hospitable... Full of smiles. So all really cool!!! My only observation is that the transport used to take you to the trek and back to chiang mai is an extremely unconforteable ride for my liking. Other than that!!! A must do!!! ;)

Reviewed June 15, 2013

After planning this trip for some time it certainly lived up to our expectations. Our guide, Mok, was very knowledgeable and informative and great fun. It is difficult to describe how amazing this was unless you have experienced it first hand. A truly memorable experience all round.

1  Thank Gingerule
Reviewed May 8, 2013

The 2 days trekking we attended perfectly met what is offered in their program. Our guide (Kaew) was very nice and professional. He had a real experience of the jungle and knew the Karen people very well, which allowed him to provide us with many information at anytime.

You are driven at around 200km away from Chiang Mai, in the area the Karen villages stand, and walk several hours every day. If you have the equipment required and no problem with walking it is ok. The guide always make sure you are not too tired and is adjusting the walking speed according to you.

The Karen family where we slept was nice, they do not change anything in their way of living when they are visited. We had a good diner altogether and Kaew was there to assist also.

We were 100% satisfied with this unique experience. The price is certainly on the hide side if compared with other trekking companies, but bear in mind they are probably not offering the same service. Pooh is focusing on a non-commercial orientated tours, reason why you will not ride elephants or other common attraction. This is what we expected and they did it !

1  Thank discopus
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Prior to this trek, my girlfriend and I were a little on the fence whether or not we should do this trek, we thought it might be kind of boring and still very touristy. But having completed it just a few days ago, we are so glad we did. This one is slightly more costly than most, but I would have paid twice as much to do it. The trip was extremely authentic, rewarding, and challenging. We both were high level collegiate athletes and were very happy with the difficulty. We had friends go and do other cheaper treks, they had a very different experience and clearly were not as impressed as we were. They had to buy food, water, and alcohol that was apparently quite pricey, as well as deal with the local villagers hassling them to buy their crafts. Our experience began with an extremely rewarding and informative 3 hour trek. Within the first few minutes of hitting the trail we stopped to learn about extremely interesting properties of the local flora and fauna. These learning moments continued throughout the three hour trek. Once we got to the village, we didn't really know what to expect. We entered a traditional Karen house, made out of bamboo and elephant grass, where we met the family inside. We learned that the locals saw us as guests rather than intruding tourists and were immediately offered rice whiskey by the family. They were very pleased to have us. We then helped prepare dinner with the food we had purchased on the outskirts of Chiang Mai during the drive. Dinner was fantastic. There was plenty of food as we shared a meal with the host family and other local villagers that wanted to say hi. The sleeping arrangements are not going to be padded mattresses and air conditioning, but rather bamboo mats on top of their bamboo porch. To our surprise and relief we got a mosquito net and sleeping bags and pillows, not that we weren't willing to experience sleeping without those amenities. We were awoken in the middle of the night by a huge storm. It was actually quite beautiful to watch. The roof, made out of elephant grass, didn't let in one drop of water. Breakfast included a traditional rice porridge and fruit. Then we embarked on our return journey which was even more exciting than our hike in. We walked through another village and down to a river, which we would proceed to wade in and out of for the next few hours. The storm the night before made for some very exciting and challenging river crossings. We stopped for a quick lunch and were provided with another delicious meal. Our fantastic guide whittled 6 sets of chopsticks out of bamboo within a few minutes. They are so impressive that we are bringing them home with us. After more exciting river and waterfall action we made it to the Batcave. This was so breathtaking and exhilarating. We had picked up two local Karen villagers to help with this portion as all three guides lit bamboo torches to guide us through the cave. It was raging water throughout the cave, we felt safe the entire way. It opened up to an otherworldly view of the jungle. We then proceeded for another 45 minutes up to our truck and drove home. If I had more time I would certainly do this again, and for longer. Our guide's name was Ropooh, spoke very good English and was a pleasure to hike with. Any negative reviews are most likely from people who don't realize what they are getting themselves into - this is not a comfy zoo experience where everything is handed to you on a silver platter - and why would you want that anyways? :)

3  Thank Austin E
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I had a terrible day when I did Pooh's 1 day nature trek. We were promised 5 hours of walking in the national park and also a visit to a Karen village. We were picked up and drove for about 1/2 hour when we stop somewhere and the guide, Egg, says '20 minutes' and we have no idea why. We've stopped for storm unclear reason at a nearly closed market. We then drove for about 2.5 hours on a terrible terrible road bouncing around in the back of a pickup truck where it was hot, dusty, and we were being thrown around the truck because of the terrible roads.after AGES, we stopped for the driver to go pee (I assume) and I asked if I could ride in the cab since I was feeling very car sick. The guide was fully reclined sound asleep and seemed very annoyed I would ask, but grudgingly let me get in the back among all the trash and stuff, moving nothing, and then fully reclining againg essentially into my lap so I had zero space. We then arrived at acres of greenhouses (part of the Royal Project to replace opium growing in the area), and were told to 'walk around project. 20 minutes." And when I said 'What project?' (Since this was not advertised as part of the tour) and he responded 'Walk around." In a surly voice and there was no one around who,might give us information. Then we start a hike though some second growth scrub forest climbing over trees and hear nearly nothing from our guide, though they carry a machete and chop down things for us to look at twice--the tiger balm tree--'very rare' he says as he hacks into it with his machete to hand us chunks of it. We stop after a very short time and sit there awkwardly for about 20 minutes, then walk another half hour before stopping for lunch. Lunch was packaged pork ramen they were going to cook in wrapped up banana leaves. I'm vegetarian and only barely managed to get him not to dump the pork powder in mine. They told me when i told them in advance it was No problem sinve we weremhaving noodles....And then I ended up with icky packaged ramen noodles with no flavor at all, and a little cabbage and tomatoes thrown in. Completely tasteless and not enough to eat. It was cool how they made a fire and cooking pots out of bamboo, but the food was very disappointing. Then we walked about another half our to go swimming (we were told to bring a bathing suit) and when we arrive at the river, the guide is already swimming and we have no idea where to change our clothes or anything. Then we walked another half hour to the car and drove back to Chiang Mai--another long hot ride, and no visit to a Karen village at all! Then we drop off all the other passengers except me, and they return to the office and get out and leave me alone in the truck, saying nothing to me and it is after 6pm and I'm very hot and tired and hungry. Finally I got out of the car and walked the 1/2 hour back to my hotel. The guide was either completely rude or spoke very little English and never answered any questions I asked. He was extremely surly and unfriendly.

And then the next morning whe I emailed them to complain, the manager of Pooh Eco Tours came to my hotel at night demanding I get on his motorbike and come to the office with him. I said no--was he out if his mind? I had dinner plans, I wasn't going to go anywhere with him, which is good since he became extremely verbally,abusive to me saying I was a liar and just a rude American with expectations of perfect English (and I pride myself on being very well-travelled and sensitive too). He was yelling at me being abusuve for about 1/2 hour before I finally couldn't take it anymore and left. He kept saying he wants d yo hear my side of the story but wouldn't let me say anything and just kept repeatedly insulting me. It was horrific really.

7  Thank Skw656