“Good place for the price you pay!”

Chiangmai Backpack House
Ranked #260 of 784 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I booked for one night and finally stayed 9 nights! Not only because of this place but also because of Chiang Mai itself.

This hotel is very well located, not in the old city but just closed to it, you can go everywhere by walking. Owners are very nice and helpful.I was sleeping in a ladies dorm which was very quiet because not on the big street.

The only problem was that they don't really clean rooms and bathrooms and that their is no toilet paper anywhere, you have to ask. No individual light in the dorm neither.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Alice C

Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 2nights. The owner n wife were sooo kind. lovely n friendly:)
The location also is nice!
They serve breakfast.lunch.dinner as well.
we stayed a doom room for 9 people. Was include own nice n warm water. shower n toilet. Also have public shower n toilet on the corridor .

I would love to back to stay there.
Wanna stay for a while!! Haha

Thank you for everything!!
See you again hope it'd be soon!!!

Stayed: November 2556, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I chose this guesthouse because after going in for a good value breakfast one day (90THB for a pot of tea, a bowl of chicken rice soup, 2 toast with butter and jam and a glass of mango juice) and using it to do my laundry (it was almost half the price of my other hostel, and even though it was after the 2pm cut-off point, they endeavoured to get it clean for the following day), we had to change hostels as ours was booked. We remembered the good value, the central location, and of course the family's eagerness to help us with any questions or queries we had. We stayed for three nights and spent a lot of time in the communal area at the front, using the free wi-fi and computer to research our route. The guesthouse wasn't as fancy as our last one but it was cheaper yet better located which is rare. The rooms were basic but very spacious and couldn't be faulted and unlike the last review, I thought the hostel was clean and well maintained. I in fact saw the staff cleaning several times during the day. Every night I had a sound night's sleep. Security was a very strong point at the hostel: there was CCTV in the hallway and a gate at the entrance was locked every night at 2am. A security guard kept watch and the shutters were brought down too. There was a notice saying to let the staff know if you were staying elsewhere or likely to return later than 2am, so that if you didn't return there'd be a cause for concern. The best thing about this hostel by far though and the thing that made our stay fantastic was the staff; the owner, Tony, is lovely, ever so friendly and always trying to go out of his way to help you and he gives you good local advice. His family is so sweet and can't do enough for you. At reading a bad review 2 days ago he was truly devastated, and my 2 friends and myself felt it completely unjustified. Because of the '2 way mirror' comment he has had to remove it from the wall so as not to concern and/or deter othe guests, which in turn inconveniences guests who want a full length mirror in the room. Since I've been travelling this has been one of the best guesthouses, especially for service, and thought it a shame that such a lovely family were portrayed in an inaccurate and bad light.

Room Tip: We were a group of 3 girls and so got a four person dorm - just 120THB each and we got the room to o...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 5, 2013

Wow!! After reading the reviews on here and then seeing what goes for acceptable, let alone a high rated hostel, nowadays, I'm floored. Seriously floored.

Yes, the owner and his family/employees are friendly and interested from the start. That's what impressed me when I first arrived. Wi-fi works well in the room. But let's face it, that place hasn't been CLEANED since who knows when. I asked the owner if the rooms were cleaned every day because I was tired of staying in guesthouses which weren't. He told me the rooms are cleaned twice a day. What a flippin' joke!! The floor in the dorm hasn't been swept in days, it hasn't been mopped in longer (same thing for the hallways and stairs). The bathroom wasn't cleaned (the same old toiletries sat in there for days) and toilet paper only seemed to be supplied in a limited number of the bathrooms. There was an over-sized mirror (which looks much like a 2-way mirror) in our dorm which was definitely ready for a cleaning. Disgusting to know this is how he keeps his own house. And finally, the beds. Let's just say that springy, springy best described them. Not bouncy, bouncy, but springs in your back, springy. When she changed the sheets, it didn't look like it, bu those mattresses are gone.

The last generation of travelers never would have given this place a thumbs up. It's sad what this new generation is accepting as "great" and "lovely". $120 dorm, $130 female dorm. Better dorms can definitely be found in the area. I'm giving this a 2.5.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We stayed in a double room with shared bathroom. Cheapest place we had stayed at since starting our travels in Thailand. The bathrooms are clean and they have a good restaurant/chill out area down stairs. The owner is very helpful....I got a nasty ant/spider/mosquito bite on my elbow that swelled up like a tennis ball, he told me were the pharmacy was and what to buy and gave me some alcohol cleaning wipes....the swelling had gone the next day. It is nicely situated on the old city wall road so easy access to the old town or the bars and restaurants outside the walls. They also offer bicycle and motorbike hire.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I stayed in a dorm with 8 beds and 4 fans. Dorm is large enough, but the bathroom was not clean like I thought. But totally It was a lovely place to stay with a small garden in front of and mini bar, best price for backpackers. I enjoyed my time there in Songkran, and it was inconvenience cause I could not check in at 3pm, full of water. It is not far from the center and you can walk around (temples, night market, bar, coffee...) to see peaceful Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Tony, the owner is very personable, intelligent, respectful, and helpful! He is always available to be engaged about anything in Chaing Mai. He can direct you to the best coffee (Happy Espresso) or the best century eggs in the city. His service makes the whole place perfect! He and his wife go out of their way to be sure the rooms and bathrooms are clean and the food is good. Also, ask him about "cedoor".

• Stayed: July 2013