“Very good place to stay”
Review of Sixty House

Sixty House
Ranked #463 of 776 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I was quite concerned when I read about the crazy owner, but during our stay we didn't experience any of that behaviour. In fact the receptionist was incredibly helpful and nice (don't know if she's the owner though)!

The room as well as the bedsheets were very clean, shower worked good and the wifi signal was perfect!

During our stay the guesthouse was fully booked and I can totally understand why!

Stayed: January 2014
There are newer reviews for Sixty House

Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

My and my boyfriend have recently stayed here . I'm not sure why people have given this a bad review because of the "reception".

I had booked the wrong date online as we were arriving from Bangkok and didnt realise how long the journey was. I emailed ahead and they changed the reservation to the following day with no fee which was a god send!! (Thankyou)

We were greeted with smiles even though we woke up reception because of how early we arrived. I can understand the reviews about the attitude of the staff but we began to just use the back entrance, this way you dont see the staff at all. The hotel/shop front (as it is a tour operator too) shuts at 9pm but this is not a problem because the back entrance can be accessed 24hours a day.

The rooms themselves were very clean although small. There's no tv, no air con (which was advertised on the website we booked with) and no fridge. But we were happy as the price helped us stay on budget. Our room never got cleaned, towels changed and we just about made it to the end of our stay with the toilet roll we had. Im not sure if this was our fault for sleeping in but other places we have stayed have still knocked and asked of we wanted fresh towels ect.

Overall our stay was pleasent and we will probably stay here again on our return to Chaing Mai.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Friendly and helpful staff. Very clean and blight room. Comfortable bed. Ample hot shower. Strong Wi-Fi connection. Louver windows (For women, it’s very good. You can sleep with the windows open). Good location and quiet. My room was relatively small, but 60 House has everything definitey I need! Actually, I came back to this hotel. Worth for money.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is in a great location. It is close to the centre but without the noise. You have free wifi in your room and a laundry service next door. The down side for me was the staff... They were not friendly and did not make us feel welcome. My boyfriend and I don't spend much time in our hostel because we like to explore but for the short time we were there it felt very uncomfortable. I wouldn't stay here again (Finlay's cottage is just a few meters away on your left and is much more friendly)

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Very unpleasant atmosphere due to owner/manager attitude. She is not friendly,at all and at times openly hostile. She made my fiancee feel so bad, we knew we had to move. Rooms there are smallish and it is very loud during the night thanks to drunk backpackers who love to rent their 3+ room, so there is no peace and no normal frindly connection you experience in other places in Chiang Mai - don't waste an opportunity to make new friends and enjoy the city - avoid this place and give others a try.

Room Tip: ask if you can stay on a lower floor - may be you can sleep better
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank G F
Reviewed September 26, 2012

The owner/manager of this place is very hard to deal with - she is smiling one minute and reprimanding you the next, or treating you with classic passive-aggressive vibes, or ignoring you... She makes a point to be nice at first, but that doesn't last long... It does not depend on your behavior- she is just always switching moods, and since she is there all the time you have no way to avoid it... It is very unpleasant and kind of crazy-making...
We have stayed at the place for several weeks, and we could never make sense of that... Finally, it became so unpleasant we just had to move - too bad for other people who are working there - they are all very nice, but her negativity overrun all of them...
I'd definitely give this place a pass -why stress when there are so many nice places in this city

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A M
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This is a very good, quiet "no frills" guesthouse for the budget traveler. Rooms are very clean, and well maintained but on the small side. They have bed, table fan (quiet), luggage table, chair. private en-suite bathroom has western toilet and good water pressure and hot water. They provide a towel and blanket, bring your own soap.

This is typical of many guesthouse in this area. The really great thing is the location. It is on a small soi just off Tha Pae Rd right in the center of the traveler area. It is a 5 minute walk to the Tha Pae gate, and 10 minutes to the night bazaar. There are many restaurants and shopping just steps from the guesthouse.Their is an attached internet shop and right next door is to a motorcycle rental shop.

They show rates of 280 baht to 500+ baht, I assume the higher amounts are for air conditioned. For a fan room this place is great value, if you are a couple + and willing to pay the extra cost for air conditioning, check around you might be able to find something with more charm in the 500+ range.

Check out their website. Best to pre book on phone or internet (no pre payment needed) as the low priced places fill up fast in the high season. It's not really easy to come and walk around and check out places, because they are spread out on a labyrinth of small lanes.

A final tip for dessert or a snack.. Every night right on the corner of the soi there is a Muslim roti cart, selling the best rotis in Chiamgmai. (try egg and abnana) I've been buying them for over 7 years.

Enjoy Chiangmai.

Room Tip: I had room number 1 on the condense floor. It had two windows. Pretty quiet. Ask for the lower floor...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo