“Great Hotel”

137 Pillars House Chiang Mai
Ranked #2 of 395 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed January 21, 2014

The hotel is ideally located, close to wonderful local sites and the Ping River. The staff were delightful, and the room magnificent! Spa services were very enjoyable, the food tasty. The sense of calm and security added to the stay's pleasures!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank Ms. C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,263)

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I got the free voucher from the game winner for 1 night with breakfast. I had a chance to pass the front of the hotel, I know it is not beside the Ping river but it is closed enough to walk.

The hotel is with the contemporary decoration style, the old house - 137 pillars house is adjusted but we can still imagine about the old house. The room I got is the basic room, 1st floor with the balcony. The bathroom is fantastic, there is big bathtub, shower room and toilet. There is also the outdoor shower. It seems that the bathroom is bigger than the bedroom :) One thing I do not like is the mosquitos. Maybe it is only because during the time I stayed.

For breakfast, the line of food is not too much but we can get the fresh cook food, fried veggie, noodle or fresh bake bakery and homemade yogurt. The Chef was a breakfast tour guide, brought me along and explained. He is the first chef I have ever found.

This hotel is my place to stay when I go to Chiangmai next time.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I love this place. We stayed 3 nights here at room number 20. I asked for the quiet room as I think rooms in the front don't have much privacy which turned out to be great. The room is spacious with big bathroom and balcony.

Gym is small but good. The weather was too cold to swim but they have great swimming pool. The overall atmosphere and architecture is beautiful. I'm falling in love with the place. The piano bar area is nice and relaxing. I couldn't ask for anything more. It curtained became my 1st choice of hotel in Chiangmai town.

It is a bit pricy but I think you get what you pay for so I would recommend and certainly go back here again for a luxury hotel in Chiangmai.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2014

Spent 2 nights @ 137 Pillars House.

Booking : I sent them an email to enquire about their best rate for the East Borneo Suite. Altough there was still availabilities on their website, they told me the suite was fully booked and advised me to book William Bain Terrace Suite which is quite a different pricing. I could however book my East Borneo Suite afterwards via slh.com

Check-In : Was fast and efficient.

Room : Great room, great appliances, very comfortable bed, free mini bar (not all items though, so better watch out what you pick), great atmosphere, elegant decoration and Quiet room.

Lunch - Tried a few Thai dishes : What a disappointment ! I believe they try to be somehow fusion or modern Thai, but it this case it just does not work at all. My advise would be to focus on simple yet perfectly executed Thai dishes.

Breakfast - Although reported several times in the past reviews : The breakfast is really not up the level. The selection of dishes is good but there is definitely a lack of quality : Croissants are dry and the buffet is not refreshed regularly enough. No napkins on the table : You'll have to ask for it every time...

Service - I really liked the selection of songs within the room and I asked them if I could purchase the ipod nano from the hotel : I could not. Asked them if they could print out the list of albums or songs : They could not.

Overall : Yes for the room and overall atmosphere. F&B + Service are not up to the level and need improvement. Will explore other alternatives on a future stay.

Room Tip: Room NB 12 was a great pick
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Location: Good location, easy to access the main street.

Room: Very nice decoration with complete amenities. Quality and space of the suites are perfect. Look wonderful both day and night, feel like staying in your own house.

Breafast: Good quality with great attention from all staffs.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

By Penny M.
Houston, Texas
January 8, 9, 10 2014
My travel agent recommended this Hotel. We were pleasantly surprised with all the amenities.
Lovely and helpful staff. We will stay here again. Loved the room decor. They packed us a very nice breakfast "take-away" box of food when we left very early in the a.m. for our flight. A very nice touch.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Thank Mrs. M
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Wow!!! What an incredible hotel, beautifully designed, fantastic food and great staff. We loved leaving Bangkok for a few days and arriving at this oasis.

The perfect location just across the river and only a few minutes from Old Chiang Mai. Some of the best restaurants in the area are just walking distance from the hotel.
We will be returning back for many years.

Stayed: January 2014