“second time the charme”

137 Pillars House Chiang Mai
Ranked #3 of 395 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I had another excellent stay in the 137 Pillars House. Stayed for 2 nights and really enjoyed the room and service. It was hot outside but the AC worked well. Breakfast was excellent. Close to restaurants and a short tuk tuk ride to the night market. Also very near the airport.
I definitely go back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank asiatraveler1964
Write a ReviewReviews (1,265)

Reviewed June 5, 2013

A little bit out of the way, but it's beautifully finished and makes you feel someone very special.

If we're ever in Chiang Mai without the kids (fat chance!), this would be our first stop. This is a special occasion type of place, perfect for honeymoons or anniversaries. Lovely attentive staff too. Well worth splashing out the boat for.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank RosiePosiePerth
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The house was the property of the son of the Lady of "the King and I", it is very beautiful, and has been arrange with a lot of taste, the suites are fantastic, with indoor and outdoor showers, a great place to stay in Chiang Mai

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I really love all of them. They are very very very nice design hotel, coming with excellent service. The most famous are swimming pool and the outlet with 137 pillars. The location is quite good. They are near Ping riverside. You can walk to a lot of riverside restaurant and bar. LOVE THEM ALL <3

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Thanawut GoOd S
Reviewed May 24, 2013

My wife and I were planning to enjoy our first trip without our two year old children, so we researched quite a few hotels that would have "couples" details. We wanted a nice spa, a nice pool, a very comfortable/spacious room, and excellent customer service. We found all of these in 137 Pillars House. The layout of the property makes it feel as if you are the only guest and the immaculate care the staff takes of the guests is unmatched in the area and quite possibly the world. I have been to 30+ countries and hundreds of hotels and this is my favorite by a wide margin. The details are all handled here and you will go wanting for nothing.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room if you want a little more privacy. Also, definitely get the limo servic...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sean M
Reviewed April 22, 2013

What a wonderful place to return to after a hot day of sightseeing. The lovely hotel with great rooms and bathrooms was just the place to unwind. From checkin to food to service it was at the top of the game. The first two nights we had the place basically to ourselves which spoiled us when it filled up with families for Easter weekend. Outdoor seating at breakfast became limited with two large families taking over the space. Not the hotels fault that they ate in shifts utilizing the tables for the morning. Only other weakness was my massage which was ok but not great for the money. Expensive for Land of good cheap massage.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank smountaintraveler
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I've stayed in several boutique hotels in Chiang Mai over the last few years but 137 Pillars is definitely the best looking of the ones I've been to. The designers have thoughtfully blended the old home-style residential elements with the modern. The restored 18th century home that now houses the library and communal lounge areas are gorgeous. I also really loved the pool and the massive living wall next to it.

Although some people have waxed lyrical about the food, I didn't think it was all that. We ate lunch at the property one day and all the Thai dishes that we tried had been "westernised" to the point that I felt some of the dishes were bordering on bland.

The breakfast menu was nice, dominated mainly by European dishes (Brioche and bananas were yum) but the wonton soup was also very good.

We booked a half day private cooking class. When we were booking the class with the hotel staff we explained that both my partner and I are experienced cooks who cook a lot of Thai food and that we wanted our lesson to focus more on regional / complex dishes. The team arranged for us to nominate the dishes that we would like to cook which was great.

Prior to commencing the cooking class we did a local market tour at Thanin Market (I recommend visiting on your own as you'll have more time to explore - it's really worth it if you like food markets) to pick up some ingredients for the class. Only problem with this excursion was that we were accompanied by one of the hotel staff who, by her own admission, knew nothing about Thai cooking! When we were asking about certain foods on sale in the market, she was pretty clueless (she spent most of her time googling our questions on her iphone). While the market tour is a nice inclusion to the private cooking class, I think it would be better led by a guide who actually knows a thing or two about food (ideally the cooking instructor).

Overall the cooking class was good. We were taught by the Executive chef who provided us with lots of helpful tips for refining our Thai cooking and the food we cooked turned out great. However, I think the lesson would have been even more enjoyable if all the ingredients had not been prepared and chopped before we got there! We also had to ask the chef to let us cook with woks because they normally have students cook with small teflon pans - not the most authentic Thai cooking experience. That being said, both my partner and I are pretty died hard foodies so others that might be after a less intensive private cooking class experience might be completely happy with their standard class offering.

Aside from the restaurant food and the OK cooking class, we really loved this hotel. The rooms and the communal grounds are gorgeous, service is attentive but not obtrusive (personal butler is a nice touch) and the afternoon soundtrack of cicadas was a constant delight.

If in Chiang Mai, I would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple