“Rustic but social”

Deejai Backpackers
Philadelphia
“Rustic but social”
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

I chose this hostel for its social reputation and the fact that you could get a private room for under $20 a night. It delivered on both of those counts. I met lots of great people in the lobby who I was able to hang out with. Otherwise, it's fairly average. The bedspread was dirty, lots of bugs in the room since the doors aren't sealed, and the air conditioner dripped all night forcing me to abandon my hope of a night without ear plugs. There's a pool down the street but you have to pay 50 baht to use it unless you get a private room. The location isn't great, a little far removed from the markets, bars, and restaurants. Overall the place was adequate, if you're a young backpacker looking to meet people you'll probably be pleased.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I was travelling on my own and met so many others doing likewise. Hostel is verg good to orgsnise treks etc..
The garden nearby is fantastic. The guy running it with the long beard was great and organised special treks, trips to lakes for us..
Would def stay again!

• Stayed July 2014
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

When I first checked into Deejai's, I saw my room (a four bed dorm with fan) and considered asking for my money back. It's basic as basic can be in terms of the room. But within 12 hours I felt I could stay here for months. After the first night, I upgraded to a room with air con because the fan was essentially useless and the place unbearably hot. It's only a 50 Baht (£1) upgrade per night and definitely a necessity.

When they say a place has 'character', I usually take it as people talking nonsense but the whole vibe around Deejai's makes anyone feel so welcome and is very sociable that it is ideal for a lone traveller or people sick of each others company. The food downstairs is excellent, the staff are very friendly and the location is OK.

And then there's the garden. The garden is what makes this the best place I have stayed in years. An outdoor odyssey of hammocks, a tree house, a pool and a great bar. The local house band are without question the best I have ever seen. I normally cannot stand live music but these guys that play here every weeknight, I could watch for hours.

The English guy running the place is among the nicest and most interesting people you could ever meet and the whole hostel just screams the word "fun".

Do NOT come to Chiangmai without staying at Deejai's.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Nicholas Y
Essex
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We stayed in a dorm room with a fan for a few nights at this hostel. Luckily I knew the people I stayed in a room with as it was very cramped, dark and dingy, so I wouldn't have wanted to have been with strangers!! The room was unbearably hot the whole time. There was a standard fan in the corner which seemed to do nothing, and the large fan in the ceiling didn't work. The water kept going off during our visit which was annoying. I didn't think much of the location as it seemed far away from everything. Food was available at erratic times. I must say the scrambled egg was delicious, despite it being served with ants all over the plate! I don't understand the hype around this hostel. I definitely would find elsewhere to stay in Chiang Mai if I return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank wallywal90
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 22, 2014

It's simple. Bunk beds, AC, and a bathroom. It was clean and cheap. It's a great place to meet other back packers.The manager was awesome and everyone is just super nice and there to have a good time. If you're there before check-in or want to keep your stuff there after check-in they have a locker room which is open to anyones use. It's just a great place to stay!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

The first room we stayed in here was the basic dorm in which we found a cockroach and toad waiting to welcome us in the bathroom. The room was very dirty, dead insects on the floor, mould, dampness- it was just horrible. After mentioning this to reception we did get an upgrade to a private room where the hot water wasn't working. Apart from that the private rooms are okay.

The reception staff are not very friendly or helpful. They are supposed to have food available all day but the two times I have actually requested food the chef was 'away' and no one was able to tell me when she would get back which is awkward as there's no where around to get food.

Also we requested to borrow 2 towels for which we had to pay a 400 baht deposit and 40 baht rental charge which would have been okay if the towels were good but they were dirty towels that had been left by travellers which is just not on.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Marcus W
Manly, Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed her during Songkran, so the hostel was a bit crazy. My room was pretty gross as it had a shower and no ventilation, mildew was the scent of my room. They had a kitchen there that did standard breakfast.

They also owned a facility just down the road with a very nice pool, and bar. There was a cool tree house too that you could sit in as well.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends