“Atmosphere and value”

Deejai Backpackers
Brisbane, Australia
“Atmosphere and value”
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Deejai for a week and absolutely loved it. We stayed in a twin private room which cost us $8 each per night - crazy good value! The facilities are appropriate to the price, small rooms and poky bathrooms. And don't expect your bathroom door to close! However it is comfortable enough and the excellent common areas mean you don't spend much time in your room. You can't help but meet people here, the beer garden down the road has cheap drinks, live music and a fire pit to sit around and chat. Staying here is fun, plain and simple. This hostel could easily be taken to the next level by making some simple changes, such as an safe in the room, a more organised front desk and a cleaning service a few times a week to empty the bin and top up the toilet paper. Overall I would recommend this to travellers on a budget that are looking to meet people.

Stayed January 2014

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week, stayed in a lot of hostels over the world and this had to be up there with the best!! Very clean, brilliant staff, always helpful and up for a laugh, they'll organise whatever you need with tours etc... Deejai has pretty good food on the menu, and beer ofcourse. Sweet common area to meet other travelers, there's also a bar run by the same backpackers about 100-150m down the road, which has a fire pit and swimming pool, great place to hang out.. This place is also very cheap and in walking distance to what you need. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again! Primo hostel!!! Churrr

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Peter G
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Rooms were extremely cheap compared to a lot of places around Asia which is always great. Everyone was really friendly and I met plenty of people I went on to travel round part of SEA with. They have a great social area and tasty food, they didn't mind us bringing in Sangsom from nearby 7-Eleven. Laundry was free (at least I thought so). Staff were very friendly and there was an onsite wizened ex-pat who provided a lot of help and info. Back garden had a chill out area with a pool table but now they have made it into a pool which is looking great from the pictures. Location is central with a 7-Eleven nearby and cheap songkhlas to the bars. Chiang Mai Uni Hospital is nearby also which is the number one stop for all moped related mishaps. All in all highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Upon being turned down from another hostel as it was full they recommend we check out Deejai. We arrived and were able to get a room for very cheap. We had a problem with our room with the air conditioning unit leaking over my bed. I reported the problem to reception. We walked down the road to the hostel's swimming pool which had just been built. We paid 50 Baht to enter but it was worth it as it was helping to fund all of the surrounding area for backpackers. Coming back from the pool the air conditioning unit had been fixed. There was building work going on at the back of the hostel but we were pre-warned at reception and work didn't start until 9am. It is situated a short taxi drive away from the main drinking area of Chiang Mai and is very lively and sociable. The food offered is limited but very cheap and the pool area was regularly offering cheap BBQ's. The pool table was also free and in the hostel the wifi was also free. Well worth checking out the hostel if travelling on a budget.

• Stayed November 2013
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed January 5, 2014

just a few words about Deejai Backpacker
I will never stay another place anymore!!!, I feel family here with Deejai staff and the owner especially almost new friends I met here was pretty cool and amazing people from over the world <3 Amazing cheap and clean! some time 99 bath / 120 bath / 170 bath

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Medan, Indonesia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Like many travellers I arrived at this hostel in the early hours at 5:30am and after no sleep on a freezing cold air conditioned bus for 12 hours all I wanted to do was get in a bed and go to sleep. I was told I had to wait until 2pm to check in to my room and I had no other option other than to wait for 7 and a half hours to get my key. During this ridiculous wait other guests arrived and seemed to get their key without any problem and check in. I asked the reception why I couldnt check in and they just told me to wait.

Other than this, the fact that my room may as well have had no door as the windows didnt shut and was held together by a small wooden stick and anyone could easily break in and open the door through the window and the staffs complete incompetence to grasp even the similest order from the menu, the worst was yet to happen.

On the evening of the 30th December 2013, I had just returned from a three day jungle trek and was put back in my old room and went to bed as I was tired from the jungle. At 3:30am a thai girl sharing my room came back hammering on the door and after eventually getting into the room proceeded to shout that she was going to kill someone. She repeatidly said "He is going to die", to the other Thai girl who was, like me, in bed asleep. I asked her if she could be quiet as it was early hours in the morning and she had just woken both of us up and she didnt even acknowledge me. I got up and went to the toilet and she continued saying "He is going to die" to the other girl. When I came out of the bathroom she was staring at my bed like she was possessed. Obviously like anyone else with any sense, I wasnt going to stay in a room with a girl saying she was going to kill someone and who was extremely intoxicated, so I went down to reception and asked them to go and sort the situation out. Not even a minute after the male and female receptionist went up to the room, the intoxicated girl came down the strairs walked straight towards me and punched me several times in the head. As I pushed her away she fell and I managed to restrain her on the floor by kneeling on her legs to prevent her kicking me, thinking the receptionists would come down and help me. The girl then pulled my hair out, strangled me to the point where I still have marks around my neck and continued to punch me.

When the receptionists came down they did NOTHING to help me. I asked them to call the police and they said nothing. I tried to call the police myself and they wouldnt tell me how the telephone worked to make an outgoing call. All they kept saying was please dont tell anyone?!
The girl was held by this point by the male receptionist and like a never ended nightmare kept letting the girl go throughout, who would just walk straight back up to me and punch me repeatedly again and again. It didnt stop until another western guest came out of his room to see what was going on and stood infront of me. Then some other guests came back and managed to defuse the situation whilst I was hauled into a room away from the crazy girl. I asked one of the guests to get my stuff out of my room and she had gone upstairs empited my entire backpack on the floor and poured liquid all over it and everything was soaking wet.
I asked again what was going to be done about this and nothing was said other than please dont tell anyone, its bad for the reputation of Deejai. The girl was allowed to remain at the hostel and I was forced to move rooms for the night whilst the staff went through every belonging I had to get the wet stuff dry.

In the morning the staff basically acted as though nothing had happened and I had to ask what was going on with my room and my bag. The only thing they did was offer me a 50 baht (about 1 pound) breakfast free of charge. Ive never been so insulted and shocked by a series of events in my entire life. On getting my belongings back there was a good amount of items missing and when I asked what they were going to do about that, they said nothing and did little about looking for the missing items. I asked again the day I left the hostel and once again there was no sufficient response.

The only good that came from being in that hostel were the fellow guests who were really kind to me and the fact that the crazy girl didnt have or obtain a weapon. I am still covered in black bruises a week since the incident and its tarnished my experience in Thailand. Had this been two guests of forgein nationality I have no doubt they would be removed from the premises immediately and the police called. The whole thing was horrific.

Avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Lora B
Bristol
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is perfect for backpackers! We paid 450 baht for a private room and bathroom. Located in the old town you will probably have to get a tuk tuk into town. The value is so good and you meet so many people. It's not spotless but it is clean! There is a cable TV with some English channels. The receptionists do not speak really good English, the food is ok but not good! The best thing is the pool a few yards down the road. The same owners and it is so nice! Treehouse, firepit, saltwater pool and hammocks make it so relaxing. Definitely the place to be!!!

• Stayed November 2013