“my second home and family <3”
Review of Deejai Backpackers

Deejai Backpackers
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“my second home and family <3”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

just a few words about Deejai Backpacker
I will never stay another place anymore!!!, I feel family here with Deejai staff and the owner especially almost new friends I met here was pretty cool and amazing people from over the world <3 Amazing cheap and clean! some time 99 bath / 120 bath / 170 bath

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Medan, Indonesia
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Like many travellers I arrived at this hostel in the early hours at 5:30am and after no sleep on a freezing cold air conditioned bus for 12 hours all I wanted to do was get in a bed and go to sleep. I was told I had to wait until 2pm to check in to my room and I had no other option other than to wait for 7 and a half hours to get my key. During this ridiculous wait other guests arrived and seemed to get their key without any problem and check in. I asked the reception why I couldnt check in and they just told me to wait.

Other than this, the fact that my room may as well have had no door as the windows didnt shut and was held together by a small wooden stick and anyone could easily break in and open the door through the window and the staffs complete incompetence to grasp even the similest order from the menu, the worst was yet to happen.

On the evening of the 30th December 2013, I had just returned from a three day jungle trek and was put back in my old room and went to bed as I was tired from the jungle. At 3:30am a thai girl sharing my room came back hammering on the door and after eventually getting into the room proceeded to shout that she was going to kill someone. She repeatidly said "He is going to die", to the other Thai girl who was, like me, in bed asleep. I asked her if she could be quiet as it was early hours in the morning and she had just woken both of us up and she didnt even acknowledge me. I got up and went to the toilet and she continued saying "He is going to die" to the other girl. When I came out of the bathroom she was staring at my bed like she was possessed. Obviously like anyone else with any sense, I wasnt going to stay in a room with a girl saying she was going to kill someone and who was extremely intoxicated, so I went down to reception and asked them to go and sort the situation out. Not even a minute after the male and female receptionist went up to the room, the intoxicated girl came down the strairs walked straight towards me and punched me several times in the head. As I pushed her away she fell and I managed to restrain her on the floor by kneeling on her legs to prevent her kicking me, thinking the receptionists would come down and help me. The girl then pulled my hair out, strangled me to the point where I still have marks around my neck and continued to punch me.

When the receptionists came down they did NOTHING to help me. I asked them to call the police and they said nothing. I tried to call the police myself and they wouldnt tell me how the telephone worked to make an outgoing call. All they kept saying was please dont tell anyone?!
The girl was held by this point by the male receptionist and like a never ended nightmare kept letting the girl go throughout, who would just walk straight back up to me and punch me repeatedly again and again. It didnt stop until another western guest came out of his room to see what was going on and stood infront of me. Then some other guests came back and managed to defuse the situation whilst I was hauled into a room away from the crazy girl. I asked one of the guests to get my stuff out of my room and she had gone upstairs empited my entire backpack on the floor and poured liquid all over it and everything was soaking wet.
I asked again what was going to be done about this and nothing was said other than please dont tell anyone, its bad for the reputation of Deejai. The girl was allowed to remain at the hostel and I was forced to move rooms for the night whilst the staff went through every belonging I had to get the wet stuff dry.

In the morning the staff basically acted as though nothing had happened and I had to ask what was going on with my room and my bag. The only thing they did was offer me a 50 baht (about 1 pound) breakfast free of charge. Ive never been so insulted and shocked by a series of events in my entire life. On getting my belongings back there was a good amount of items missing and when I asked what they were going to do about that, they said nothing and did little about looking for the missing items. I asked again the day I left the hostel and once again there was no sufficient response.

The only good that came from being in that hostel were the fellow guests who were really kind to me and the fact that the crazy girl didnt have or obtain a weapon. I am still covered in black bruises a week since the incident and its tarnished my experience in Thailand. Had this been two guests of forgein nationality I have no doubt they would be removed from the premises immediately and the police called. The whole thing was horrific.

Avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Lora B
Bristol
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

This hostel is perfect for backpackers! We paid 450 baht for a private room and bathroom. Located in the old town you will probably have to get a tuk tuk into town. The value is so good and you meet so many people. It's not spotless but it is clean! There is a cable TV with some English channels. The receptionists do not speak really good English, the food is ok but not good! The best thing is the pool a few yards down the road. The same owners and it is so nice! Treehouse, firepit, saltwater pool and hammocks make it so relaxing. Definitely the place to be!!!

• Stayed November 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2013

I found Deejai's searching online and was impressed with pictures and the fact it had good reviews and a pool. The pool is not at the hostel but a 5 minute walk down the road. The pool was nice. It is not particularly central to the town. The room was dirty and they did not change the sheets from the last person who had stayed there. The bin was over flowing for days and they did not come and empty it. Next to the hostel is a noisy building site. We asked for a locker and they said we couldn't have one as they did not have enough. They didn't provide us with an toilet paper for the toilets. I wasn't impressed with it all. It's cheap but you basically get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emmab22
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This place have really nailed the backpacker experience. The rooms are good value but more importantly there is a lovely sociable atmosphere. It is easy to meet people and the hostel do what they can to encourage people to socialise. Several times a week they put on free food across the road at their bar and pool. There are comfy hammocks to chill out on during the day, a treehouse with cushions, loungers by the pool. The staff are very helpful and customer service is excellent- there were no twin rooms available when we arrived so they let us have a three bed dorm for the same price for just the two of us. My only criticism would be that it was slightly further away from restaurants and bars than the other place we stayed in Chiang Mai but you can still easily walk around town.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Kfar Yona, HaMerkaz, Israel
Reviewed December 6, 2013

1.Its one of the cheapest places (100-150 baht)
2.It has a lot of rooms and beds so you get a chance to meet a lot of people from around the world.
3.Staff is very kind and helpfull, even woke me up for some day tour.
4.Can make you good food at reasonable price
5.Towel is rentable
6.Lockers, security cameras. After midnight there is one worker at the reception
7.Nearby pool with BBQ (usually free)

The only bad thing about the rooms is that the windows are not big enough at some of them, I would prefer a good smellin toilet on a colourfull closed window like in a church.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Deejai had a good atmosphere and really great communal areas including a beautiful garden and pool area. They held some cool events too. It was definitely good value for money and the staff were really helpful. It was good to have lockers but they are downstairs which can be far from your room (don't forget your own padlock). I was in a room with a fan which was fine for me but some might still find it very hot, they had no room service and their city maps were very dodgy, but other than those minor complaints I would recommend this hostel to anyone.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo