“Favourite hostel in the world” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Deejai Backpackers

Deejai Backpackers
Koh Tao, Thailand
“Favourite hostel in the world”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

This place has a wonderful that really fits into Chiang Mai's relaxed atmosphere brilliantly. It's an excellent place to meet people and the staff are super friendly. Only problem I encountered was the building site next door, which was pretty brutal for a changover, but the management have organised with the builders not to start until 9pm, which was very appreciated. Food is reasonably priced and very good. You can get better, but it's a great lazy option. The rooms are very reasonably priced with comfortable beds and I've never had a problem nor met anyone that had a problem with bedbugs. Also the new pool and garden bar are just brilliant, the staff put on a lot of BBQs for the guests and encourage everyone to meet and feel at home. Overall a fantastic experience in a really beautiful city.

Room Tip: If you can stretch the budget to 450THB, the single deluxe suite is as comfortable and well stocked...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lyndon S

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hanoi, Vietnam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I stayed twice in Deejai Backpackers in Chiang Mai.

The dorms are clean and incredibly cheap (99 Baht/night), the location is ok, though it's a bit of a walk to the centre, they have good food and even better coffee (obviously more expensive than street food), helpful and reasonably friendly staff, lockers and a fast Wifi connection (which didn't work in my room upstairs). There is a large chillout area and a nice garden.

If you are looking for a quiet place though Deejais might not be the best choice. There is construction work going on next door at the moment and the area downstairs is always crowded with young travelers drinking beer, chatting and playing card games. Sometimes it feels like a party base camp. Not in a bad way though, people are mostly nice. So if you want to meet other travelers and go out at night it is the perfect place for you.

I did not and only wanted to spend a few days to relax before going to Laos, but that's really my problem, isn't it? I do understand what other reviewers mean by 'unoriginal backpackers', but that's more a question of personal taste - and in a nutshell Deejai is a 'very good' guesthouse.

Room Tip: Wifi didn't work upstairs (on my notebook).
1 Thank fhsch
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Friendly and helpful staffs. Very welcoming and cosy hangout lounge. Met life-long friends. Good restaurant with good foods. Although the price doubled the normal food price at night market.

Stayed in the 4-bed mix dorm with private bathroom. beyond satisfaction as i didn't expect much for 90 baht per night. Clean room, quiet, comfy bed, and new toilet. Bring your own mosquito net or repellent.

Location is a bit too far from the centre. Near Wat Phra Singh n tour agent, but 10mins walk to nightlife zone, good restaurants n saturday night market, but great experience walking pass the cafes, massage n spas, temples n shops every day n night. Otherwise you'll find yourself on the Chiang Mai's cheap Tiger tuk-tuk.

Liked the chill-out lounge, wifi connection from lounge to bed, + BBQ night (100 Baht/p).

Room Tip: Should stay in the 3-bed mix dorm; ground level, new n clean.
2 Thank Haikal_Hazman
Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I booked a private room with an ensuite shower-room ages before arriving there. When I did, the room wasn't clean and I had to ask for this to be done. I appreciate that you're not going to get immaculate cleanliness and great customer service at a backpackers' hostel, but the room wasn't that cheap; I do expect them to at least do some basic things like clean my room! Never again. The staff were not particularly helpful at all and it felt like it was in an inconvenience whenever I approached them.

It's also quite far from the old city; there are plenty of sorng tiaws going there, but I didn't see many going back. I wouldn't recommend this place if you're there on your own.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed in the 4 bed dorm for 90 baht. With a price like that i didn't expect much. However i was really surprised, sure the room wasn't much to look at, but you just sleep there anyway. They had a really nice lounge where you could hangout and i met so many nice people there. It's a very social kind of hippie place and the straff were so friendly! Definately recommend this place!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Nyleve85
Chiang Mai, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Overpriced hotel full of noisy unoriginal backpackers. Unauthentic and sad. Travelling to Chiang Mai from Chiang Rai with a couple of Thai friends, we ended up in this guesthouse. We paid 600 baths for a room of 4, but one of us had to sleep on the floor. Even the food is four times the normal price. You won't hear any Thai around. We were woken up at 7am with so much noise from the workings behind the hotel that we couldn't talk in the room.

Room Tip: Throw your lonely planet away and make Thai friends...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Palakorn V, General Manager at Deejai Backpackers, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
We would first like to thank you for staying at our Backpacker Hostel recently. We can only offer our most sincere apologies for the noise from behind the hostel, we have spoken to the owners who have apologised and promised to start work in the future not before 9am. As regards to one of you sleeping on the floor, that is perfectly correct, but I'm sure as you can remember this was your choice as our 4 bed dorms were full and you requested a mattress for the floor so you could be together. You were of course charged the same rate as a 4 bed Air-con dorm, 150baht per bed. As far as not hearing any ''Thai around'' I guess that would be quite normal in a back packer hostel, where our guests come from all over the globe and usually have very limited Thai language skills. Even our Thai staff communicate with guests in English, as I presume your Thai friends do with you. Sorry also you thought our food was 4 times the usual price, with some concern I've just checked our menu and while I agree we are more expensive that the street food in the area our pricing is comparable to other guest houses in Chiang Mai. All being said, thank you for staying at Deejai and we hope you find accommodation suitable for you and your friend in the future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I visited Deejai back in June for just one night, but i was really impressed with the standard. It was clean and tidy had access to wifi free and two computers to use. ther had a little library and lots of room in the little bar/coffee stand type thing in reception. We could meet other backpackers and relax with a book easily. I was staying in the three bed dorm, all female, however my friend had a private room. the dorm was clean and tidy, no air con but a great fan, a clean bathroom ensuit was in the room also. The shower was cold but that was delightful in the heat of chiang mai. The private rooms were also clean and tidy and had a double bed actually with air con though. The bunk bed was a bit wobbly and rickety but again, its thailand! It was really cheap for the night, working out at £2.50 but also good price in thai terms. the staff were helpful letting us leave our cases before we could check in (we were there really early) and they also helped me organise a taxi to get to the airport in the morning, which actually turned out to be the owner driving me there which was a great help! could totally recommend this place as a hostel. was a great crash pad even if we were out till 5 am!

Room Tip: pay the extra for the double room if you want some privacy, we didnt know the third girl in the room...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends