“surprisingly good”
Review of Deejai Backpackers

Deejai Backpackers
“surprisingly good”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

i stayed in a 3 bed mixed dorm and luckily slept on a single bed (not a bunk bed). the rooms had their own toilet and shower which i've never seen in other hostels. that made me feel much more comfortable, not going out of the room in the middle of the night or carrying my shower stuff everytime.

the hostel was full by time i went there. i don't know if it was my luck but people were respectful and quiet during the night. the hostel was filled with teenagers and they were indeed partying late, but everyone was keeping the noise low.

common areas are very clean, stylish and great for meeting other people. average age was around 20-25, but i had nice time and good conversations with the people i've met, since the crowd was not like the party animals in phangan or phuket.

room prices were very reasonable. can't remember how much i paid, but it was one of the best value i've ever stayed in thailand (in that quality range, of course).

all in all, deejay is a great place and definitely a bargain. go there...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Torquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of our South East Asian trip and loved it. They were going through renovations at the time but we did get to stay in one of the new rooms (3 bed dorm + bathroom), which was gorgeous! Staff were really friendly, especially Rob :)
Everything about this place was good. The communal garden area, bar trips with other travelers and Rob and also the map that was provided on arrival with all the cool places to see, eat and drink.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Definitely one of the most fun hostels I stayed at. The staff is friendly and helpful. The common areas are open and constantly have people in them giving you a great opportunity to meet people. The motor bike place they suggested was extremely understanding and delivered the bikes to the hostel. As with the other reviews, there was problems with some toilets not draining and getting plugged while I was here, I have no idea if it was someone's fault or the hostels fault but it was brought up by at least there different people.

Overall a fun hostel and worth staying at, especially if you're a solo traveler.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Good points

Our initial impression was that this was a good backpacking hostel. The rooms were clean and as we were in an air con room it was cool as well. The food was reasonably priced for large portions and it was delicious, it also had the cheapest soft drinks I've seen in all of Thailand.
The guys who run the hostel were also very good at introducing people and helping people to mix, I wasn't a single traveller but it must have been nice for people to be introduced to others easily. They also organised a hostel day trip to a lake in a national park which was a good day out and a good chance to meet other people.
They had wifi and spare computers for those without tablets.
The people working here were happy to point you in the direction of a good restaurant (directing business away from the hostel restaurant) and they were nice guys.

However.....

Bad points

We weren't provided with a bin for the bathroom, despite not being able to flush anything down the toilet. Bit of a dilemma.
There were a quite a few issues with the plumbing, our toilet would suddenly gurgle away. Loudly in the night, the sink wouldn't drain and the shower could suddenly turn off, tho would turn on again after a little wait. A friend we made there tho did have more issues, her bathroom had flooded with poo because of the toilet and the management said to her..blame your room mates, and basically wouldn't take any responsibility for it. Although this wasn't my experience the attitude of the staff dealing with it wasn't great.
The rule was, to hand your key in if you wanted your bathroom bins emptied, which even tho I handed the key in (once we and a bin) wasn't changed...a bit unhygienic and not following their own rules.

It was an average hostel and overall fairly decent but I don't think I'd choose to stay here again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Richmond, California, United States
Reviewed June 6, 2013

The moment I walked in I knew the place was chill. There's a cat that always lounged on one of the bean bags and people taking naps or chatting. The common area was like a college cafeteria: not the cleanest, but definitely lively and fun.

The room was clean and air conditioned, but the bathroom had some drainage issues that was kind of resolved soon after we notified the front desk. There is an outdoor area with pool table, hammocks and a platform where people can hang out at night when the quiet hour (10 pm) starts. The location requires a 5-10 minutes walking to the temples and restaurants, and with a bicycle or motorbike everywhere becomes pretty accessible. Moreover, all the activities I did in Chiang Mai offered free pick up from the hostel, so accessibility wasn't that big of an issue for me.

Overall I had a good time here. It's a good value for what you pay for!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Loved this place. The staff were very helpful and accomodating.
The food was really good and good prices!
Very short walk to Sunday Walking Street
Rob (the owner?) was ready to answer any questions and helped any time something wasn't right

The pool table was a nice touch and good fun way to socialize

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We lived in new dorm rooms whit 3 bed. We had read good reviews about this place. Мery European place, friendly staff. Our room looked very clean! Everything is new! And just 3 beds, we were thrilled! But the evening was very noisy, we were looking for a place to sleep, it's a little embarrassed us. But the worst was at night... I felt that I had someone crawls! In the morning I found on my body a lot of red dots! I'm very scared. I never seen before biting bugs. My sheets had a small bloody spots! My friends and staff said it BUGS!!! It was awful. Our room was cleaned special steam engine which is used in the clinic. But the next morning I found a new bite((( We were moved to another room, we got a free cleaning of all clothing and a small discount. But an excellent first impression was irreparably damaged. And the bad memories do not make me go back there again.
If you want to find new friends and enjoy noisy nights and more lucky than me. This is the place for you!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends