“A very special home with very special people”
Review of Baanlek Home Stay

Baanlek Home Stay
Ranked #76 of 801 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 10, 2014

i will join the masses in confirming that indeed most of the charm of this place comes from the beautiful energy and gracious hospitality of Mr and mrs Lek who truly open their home and their hearts

I spent nearly 3 weeks on and off while training for thai massage and Mr. Lek drove me to school and collected me, just out of the kindness of his heart, opened a cold Chang beer for me (or more!) when i arrived back from a hot day out, and took me to the airport to see me off home to london after 3 months of travel---all done with a huge smile and a beautiful open heart.

The accommodation is comfortable and its apparent it was built and is kept with great love and care--nothing extravagant, just simple well thought out creature comforts--nice bed, air conditioning…

I will be returning to continue my study and will absolutely be staying with Mr and Mrs Lek--it will truly be like returning home---they are the perfect ambassadors for such a lovely warm place such as Chiang Mai

i didn't find mosquitos to be a problem or any form of discomfort and I was there during the hot season...

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo

Reviewed April 13, 2014

The owners, Mr. Lek and Miss. Lek are very warm and welcoming.
They know some various words in other languages. And you should not miss a another gentleman(sorry I don't know spelling)! He's helping them and has lots of tips which the best restaurant is and local popular foods are. He's like our infomation center :)
When I've stayed there, there were crazy much mosquitoes but they have a tool to kill them and check them in each rooms every night.

Finally, if you have a good luck, you might be able to get free beer, great food and nice Thai talking as well!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 15, 2014

As other reviewers have mentioned, the owners of Baanlek, Mr. Lek and Mrs. Yen are the nicest folks you will ever meet. They are genuinely sweet folks - they're not faking politeness for your business. They stay up late to make sure that their guests have returned safely each day, and are up early in the morning preparing breakfast and answering any questions you may have.

When in a pinch, they were nice enough to give me rides (I'm not saying the guests should assume that they can get rides from the owners, but the point being that they will go out of their way to help if they are able to). They showed me where to eat and shop, had my laundry done on time as promised, and were always cheerful and trying to lend a hand.

The rooms are basic. If you're looking for a cushy 5-star boutique, this is not for you. But if you just need a nice, clean, cheap place to sleep and shower before hitting the next day's sites, this is your spot.

Location-wise, Baanlek is about a 10-minute walk from the central part of old Chiang Mai and the Night Bazaar. It's also a convenient 10-15 minute walk to the Central Airport Mall for those of you who want to visit the comforts of a modern mall with a movie theater. At night, it's a bit of a dark walk, but walking alone (small female) I never once felt that it was unsafe. Baanlek always has their light on at night, and you feel a sense of warmth and happiness when you see that light after a long, tiring day of sightseeing. I'm not kidding!

Most areas I visited in SE Asia had local roosters that often woke you up pretty early in the morning. Baanlek is no exception. Neighbors' rooster was right on time each morning, but I was able to get used it. If you're a light/sensitive sleeper, you may want to reconsider.

If you stay at Baanlek, Mr. Lek and Mrs. Yen (and their really nice neighbor whose name I can't remember (sorry!) but who speaks pretty fluent English and often helps out) will have you starting each day out in a great mood!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Chocobochick
Reviewed February 9, 2014

All the great reviews of this place are exactly right. Mr Lek is so kind and helpful and really takes care of his guests.

The place is quiet and peaceful but about 15 minutes walk from the centre. We hired a scooter for next to nothing so it wasn't a problem. The rooms are basic but clean and good value for the low price.

But it's Mr Lek that really sets this place apart. Definitely the nicest hotel owner I've met. Nothing was too much trouble for him or his wife. Totally awesome
guy!I would absolutely recommend this place if you're on a low budget.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I went to Chiang Mai as a part of my trip to Thailand. It turned out a great trip. After I got off the plane, my husband and I were introduced to use taxi service which was 120THB no matter how far it was. Since we didn't make a detailed schedule, we were a little shocked when the taxi stopped about 5 mins. after departure from the airport.
When we arrived at this hotel, we were a little confused since it was really like a home. You could see the neighour who seems to have three kids playing outside. ^-^
The owner Plek was very hospitable to us and informed us some useful information at once like local restuarants, bike rental and so on. Every morning, we were treated with different combination of breakfast which was very delicious!! The owner also had a helper whom I mistook for his son.-_-! And he was also very humurous and helpful. Thanks very much for both of them.^-^
Well, the negative thing about the hotel is that the room was in the first floor and it was small. There was no slipper for bath and bed was a little pointy around corner which tripped me sometimes. (tears)
The soundproof doesn't work and I woke up all night hearing persons upstairs jumping up and down. I suffered a nervous breakdown.(tears)

Room Tip: try to avoid the first floor
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Amazingly friendly hosts, who made us feel right at home. Cosy bedrooms and small, but perfectly functional bathrooms. TV, fridge, air conditioning all available, but the kind, helpful owner and his family were what we will remember from our visit. Very good location too.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FamilyGanders
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

Baanlek home stay, the place to be!
Mr.lek (the owner) is the most helpful person in the world! He always have a good advice for you. Where to go, the most chepeast way, he give u map from chiang mai and everything! He take care of the guest, from de breakfast, until the night! When you arrive very tired, he offers you his hospitality! Take a beer with him and know his friends! They gonna help you to meet the real chiang mai.

And of course the rooms are amazing and the garden, the breakfast, the mr.lek's wife is amazing too!

So, I repeat, YOU HAVE TO GO TO MR BAANLEK GUEST HOUSE, you are gonna feel better than any place of chiang mai!

• Stayed: September 2013