All reviews muesli old city queen size bed thai experience quiet street banana pancakes sticky rice the ground floor a wonderful stay spent nights hot water ayutthaya guesthouse suite renovation ac
Reviewed March 14, 2015

Staff were friendly, the place could have been cleaner as when we arrived the bathroom flooded and we had to ask for the plug to be cleaned. Lots of mosquitoes but with a large net, they were kept at bay. The aircon worked well. A major drawback is that only a curtain separate the bedroom from the bathroom. Not really pleasant when one goes to the toilets, but we coped. Why not a sliding door?
Breakfast was extremely generous and good.
Hotel is well located within walking distance to the old city.

Room Tip: Perhaps not the I-san room if you don't want a flimsy curtain separating the bedroom from the bathroom!
  • Stayed: February 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lilly062
Reviewed February 27, 2015

We stayed here for 3 nights as we wanted somewhere walking distance to Old Town, and then subsequently we stayed in a Hotel outside of Chiang Mai for 3 days chillax around the pool.

Service: 6/5! Very, very friendly and helpful, spending time pointing out some of the places for us to go to, and being charming from start to finish.

Breakfast: very good.

Room: We stayed in the Bangkok room, I found it very nice, relaxing and had a good sleep. There were a couple of mossies around, but I picked up some insect killer spray for a few baht from the 7-11 and always take it with me around Thailand. Nice shower. Theres some small noise from other guests as it's a converted town-house, but didn't disturb us, and we chose this as our base to explore Chiang Mai so was mainly out and about. You hear the cockerel next door, this didn't bother us.

Building: Lovely place, very nice, Koi pond moat, stylish decorations.

Location: Easy walk to the Old town, though for a small section there's no pavement, it's very safe, but an experience with the Chiang Mai motorbikes at rush hour. We also went to the old shopping centre close to the Seven Senses for budget shopping and cheap massages. The Maya Centre is a walk/red taxi away and is much smarter for more top end shopping. Street Food on the top of the Old Town Boundary road. Cracked us up that another review referred to it being opposite a "rubbish strewn waste lot" - it's just an empty patch of land. I kept referring to places as "rubbish strewn waste lot" for rest of holiday for a joke!

Great place - thanks guys.

• Stayed: February 2015, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cmdenny
Reviewed February 25, 2015

I stayed in this guesthouse last November when my mom came to visit me in SE Asia (I'm currently living in Cambodia). The atmosphere in the guesthouse was kind of weird to me personally. There was a younger boy who lived there (I think) and he got into a huge argument with some of the staff. We just sat in our room (on the bottom level) and listened to them yell at each other which was very awkward. The rooms definitely look much nicer on the website then they are in real life. The bed was comfortable though, the shower was hot, and the AC was strong, so I can't complain too much. It is also within walking distance to the Old City which was really nice. Overall, it was a fine stay, but next time I go to Chang Mai, I likely wouldn't stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Chaing Khan room.
  • Stayed: November 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 14, 2015 via mobile

After island hoping and a long road trip to Bangkok and a short flight here it was a delight to pull up outside in a taxi. I knew I was going to love the place.

A warm welcome and a fresh fruit drink was a great start along with Noot (the superb hostess) unfolding a map and then marking off places of interest and giving us some tips. The reception area is very stylish with a water feature and koi carp to distract you from the fact you are in a busy part of town.

If you sat in reception for any period of time a chilled drink would always be offered to you. Nice!

We stayed in the Bangkok room. I personally adore reclaimed furniture and the vintage look so I was very happy. A good sized room and bathroom with quirky bits and pieces. Very comfortable. Oh, you could sink into this bed as it was so comfortable.

There are a fair few Mosquitos so do come prepared.

Shampoo and body wash supplied and the towels are good quality.

There is a kettle in the room but you need to bring or buy your own supplies. There is a decent sized fridge too.

Because of all the wood, there is a bit of noise at busy times but nothing that the white noise of the air con and bedside fan won't drown out.

Breakfast varied and good sized too. Pot of coffee would be nicer but we are coffee guzzlers.

You can walk around the corner to a shopping centre with a variety of decent shops, chemists, massage places (cheap!) and a large food court. You need to buy coupons before you order food and can get a refund on the vouchers you don't use. Good coffee shops there too.

Within a 5 min walk at night, you will find excellent street food stalls.

We used the red taxi service on our 2nd day to get to the night bazar (no more than 20 baht each, 30 at a push - if they want more then tell them to go and flag the next one down. It's slightly more expensive at night). We walked back - 30 mins or so at a reasonable pace.

If you are happy to walk places or jump in a red taxi then this place is fine. It's not far from the YMCA. A scattering of chic coffee shops around this part too as well as a street food staff 1 min walk away.

We live in London and when we visit any other large city we always stay just outside of the busiest areas and this place suited us perfectly.

I found every single member of staff pleasant and polite and always smiling.

A special mention to Yo who was always asking if we were ok and had us laughing our heads off during the impromptu photo shoot when we were leaving. The talented Chef and the lady who keeps the whole place spick and span also joined in and waved us off.

I would highly recommend this place. It's truly wonderful.

Stayed: February 2015, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jiana D
Reviewed January 21, 2015

I was walking past this Guesthouse, when I decided to pop in and have breakfast.
What an aptly named establishment. The decor and surroundings are there to stimulate ones senses! A very calming and relaxed atmosphere.
I had a thoroughly enjoyable breakfast. Afterwards I had a good look around, and was impressed by what I saw.
Please note that this is by no means a 5 star hotel, but more of a peaceful quirky oasis just off the old city.

Stayed: December 2014, traveled solo