“Very satisfied”

Seven Senses Guest House
Ranked #37 of 807 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 9, 2012

This type of guesthouse is usually above our budget, but with a discount by booking online, we were able to get the Ayutthaya suite. The room was just lovely, there is a small outdoor area, and the bathtub/shower is also placed outside. The room is different from a run-of-the-mill hotel room with much much more personality. All the basic stuff was in order. Clean, good bed, tv, fridge etc.
Breakfast was nice. You order the evening before and have the option of regular american breakfast or different thai dishes. Be sure to try the Khao Soi.
When we arrived we were given a cold drink, this is a nice touch but a common thing. The difference here was that the following days we were staying at the hotel the chef gave us cold drinks every time we came back from sightseeing or dinner. Everyday was a new type of juice. The staff in general is very nice. The owner was very helpfull with advice on what to do and see and the occasional sorting out taxi prices for us.
Location was in a quiet resedential area. The north and west gate of the old city is within 15 min walking, Central place mall is 5 minutes away. Across from the hotel is a parking lot that the Sorng-taa-ou drivers use for breaks. 20 baht PP gets you to Nimmanhaemin, riverside or East gate in no time (and you don't have to flag them down on the street, just interrupt their brake).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ceftriaxon

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I had booked 3 nights after looking at the photos and did not expect it to be quite like the pictures, but I was really surprised as the place was fantastic and so serene. The owner Munee is so lovely and friendly and went out of her way to help. The breakfast provided is very delicious; try the museli and fresh fruit was great. It is close to everything and yet quiet. I wish I had stayed longer as the tree days were already packed with trips and I would have loved to go to meditation at Munee’s temple with her as well as give alms to the monks in the morning. It was the best place I stayed in on my trip and would stay again and I will highly recommend it to my family and friends.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Krishan L
Reviewed July 14, 2012

This small guesthouse is away from the backpacker 'ghetto' but close to the old city and a great restaurant.

A lot of thought has gone into the decoration of each of the rooms, which are all quite different. Lots of local character.

My room wasn't large but it did contain everything I needed. They have bikes you can use and the small sois nearby are good for this. It feels very much like staying in a 'normal' suburb, and yet it's so close to the old city.

Nearby is the excellent Pun Pun restaurant - ask the Manager or receptionist for directions.

The breakfast is great and the breakfast room is set out well for socialising with fellow guests.

The Manager of the guesthouse is lovely and very helpful. She is a Thai lady who speaks excellent English, and she can write taxi instructions etc. in Thai for you. Apparently she used to be an air hostess (hence the excellent English).

This is a very good option. In the off-season be sure to ask for a discount.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Julie_L14
Reviewed July 13, 2012

The place is beautiful, the Owner is incredibly helpful, even her kids are willing to lend a hand.
Feels like a combo hotel/home stay and we were treated perfectly.
The cafe/restaurant served amazing breakfasts (get the yoghurt muesli).
They even let us borrow bikes for an afternoon to go exploring and helped us plan and book everything we needed.

Great English, friendly & helpful, so we don't have to worry about anything.

Also, there are red truck taxis across the street at all times to take you where you want to go.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BuchanOdyssey
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We were given the large (Rattanakosin) room at no extra cost, in spite of having paid for a less expensive room. I especially liked the outdoor shower, but everything about the room was quite nice. Breakfast was great, although never a quick experience. We used the bicycle for free everyday, which allowed us to go everywhere we wanted to in the city (and to some remote temples). The staff waited up for our late arrival the first night, and were always friendly and helpful. Location is nicely just outside of the moated city, in an uncongested area. I did notice myself getting tired of hearing roosters crowing, but being away from a touristy area more than made up for that, and I look forward to staying at Seven Senses again the next time I'm vacationing in Chiang Mai.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fred60827
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Lovely guesthouse. Lovely details. Bathrooms could do with a little extra clean. Clean towels everyday. Great breakfast. Very friendly and helpful staff, thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Would recommend .

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mamaweba
Reviewed February 3, 2012

This guesthouse screams romance! We booked the room with the outside shower. Our room (Rattanakosin) was very spacious and was anchored by a majestic bed (King size, I think). The mosquito net over the bed added to the romantic setting while ensuring a good sleep. From the bed, you can see the private garden with water feature (through the sliding doors). Wooden blinds ensure that you can cut out daylight and sleep in a bit longer. There is an outside shower overlooking the private garden. The water was always hot and it felt like I was standing under a mini waterfall – Gorgeous! Everything is clean 

The guesthouse is a 5min walk from a shopping mall with a selection of department stores. Cheap internet is also about a 5min walk (turn left from Guesthouse and first left again). The cheap red taxi’s often gather in the vacant area outside the guesthouse, so its easy enough to hail a taxi.

I loved:
The outside mini-waterfall shower
Clean, soft and super-white looking towels
Soft bed (by Asian standards)
Timeous refills of toiletries
In-room massage
Muesli Breaksfast and yogurt
Friendly staff
The English speaking lady (I think she is the owner) was also very friendly and helpful. She called some tour companies to enquire on our behalf and made a booking for us.

I tolerated with slight amusement the annoying sound of a cock crowing in the morning. It was amusing because it sounded like it had the flu and seemed a bit more high pitched than it should be!

This place would be great if there was an English-speaking staff available at all times. On our last day, we had booked an early morning taxi to the airport via the guesthouse. The taxi arrived about 20minutes late. It was a nervous time for us because we were trying to communicate with the non-english speaking staff about the urgency of the situation. We fortunately made it on time for our flight. I would definitely return to this hotel but I would think twice about booking a morning taxi through them!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple