“Lovely spacious hotel, a little bit of luxury 15 minute drive from the centre of Chiang Mai.”
Review of Sheik Istana Hotel

Sheik Istana Hotel
Ranked #94 of 388 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

Loved Chiang Mai and enjoyed staying at the Sheik Istana.

Big clean rooms, awesome gym, nice pool areas amd friendly staff. Good view over the river across to an old stone Wat. The restaurant served excellent food at a good price. Bicycles are also available for guests to use, we cycled into Chiang Mai which was a great fun.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012
There are newer reviews for Sheik Istana Hotel

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stayed at the Sheik Istana hotel in August 2012, as part of a nearly 4-week stay in Thailand. I found this hotel through Trip Advisor, and finally have a moment to echo the sentiments of other reviewers and sing the praises of this hotel. I stayed for 3 nights.
First of all, the online booking was easy and I got a great rate. I emailed the hotel staff to arrange for someone to pick my friend and I up at the airport and bring us to the hotel. The staff were friendly, courteous, and the fee for the transfer was very reasonable. When I saw "Noom", a member of the hotel staff waiting for us dressed in a beautiful Morroccan style uniform holding a placard with our name on it at the Chiang Mai airport, I could already tell this hotel paid great attention to detail.
The hotel is close to the airport, and a bit outside of the main attractions of Chiang Mai, but the conceirge does a phenomenal job of arranging fabulous taxi drivers who are polite, speak English well, and will cater to your every need for a very low rate. There is also a daily shuttle to the night market and Nimmanhaeman Rd, one of the shopping areas outside of the University.
The decor in the hotel is absolutely beautiful and I loved having the opportunity to experience a little bit of Morocco in Chiang Mai, as I have always wanted to go to Morocco but have not yet made it there. There are two swimming pools and beautiful grounds with fountains and seating areas where you can sit and relax after a long day of walking around Chiang Mai.
In our room, which had a balcony overlooking the river, I was greeted with a personalized welcome letter from the hotel management. This hotel does not overlook any detail and I have never received such quality service or kindness at a hotel before. I had no issues communicating with any of the staff in English--they are very well-spoken and understand American terms and "slang" as well.
Additionally, there is a great restaurant in the hotel that serves a huge variety of food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner at a reasonable rate. Book the room rate inclusive of breakfast for the best deal--you can get pretty much anything you like for breakfast, with multiple juice, coffee, and tea refills at no additional cost.
When I went on to Bangkok, my friend loved Chiang Mai so much that she made arrangements to keep our room for herself for 3 more nights and stayed on. There were no issues with billing or any confusion over this change, which I appreciated, since the room had originally been billed to me.
There is also a cute pub/ restaurant just diagonally across the street (I think it is called #1 Pub) and it has cheap meals and drinks as well as super friendly bar staff and locals/ tourists to socialize with.
If I ever return to Chiang Mai, which I certainly hope to do, I will stay here again without question.
Many thanks Sheik Istana, for a beautiful and memorable stay!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank TZ138
Northern_chiangmai, Manager at Sheik Istana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2012

Dear our guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking your valuable time to share your feedback here on TripAdvisor.

In particular, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your staying and all services proposed by our team that our staff managed to put you at easy. We really take care about our guest’s needs and desires, being our main purpose making you feel well assisted.

I appreciate your kind comments on our services and hope we may welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here with my girlfriend for my whole trip, about 12 days, and I don't regret it. The staff was great, the hotel looks great and the rooms were also good. Apart from some distance between the hotel and the city, the hotel lived up to every expectation. About 10 min with tuk-tuk and costs 100 baht (150 with taxi). They also have free shuttle service at the hotel at specific times.

So in short the food was great, staff was great, hotel was great, rooms was great, swimming pools was great, view was great. All in all a great experience ;)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Our valued guest,

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your holidays so much. I will share with our team your comments about their positive attitude towards the costumers which is one of our principles in Sheik Istana Hotel.

I really look forward to welcoming both of you in your next visit.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Beautiful hotel next to the ping river, great views and stunning room decor...there were even gold leaves on the ceiling! The bed was more than comfy, room service amazing, and barthroom very romantic. The breakfast was great, shuttle service was OK...and it's a bit outside of the old city so we had to pay around 100 baht each way...it was worth it for the hotel though.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear our value guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about Sheik Istana Hotel.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay. I would also like to thank you for sharing your observations with us as this gives us the opportunity to make improvements and thus offer all our guests better service

Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed there for 7 nights for my vacation by myself. The visit of Chiang Mai was the first trip to Thailand for me. I had no idea what Thailand was until the visit. One of the staff, experienced staff was very helpful to me. He helped me to buy SIM card on the way to the hotel from the airport, arranged me English speaking woman driver and so on. Thank him very much. The manager and all the staff are friendly, some of them don't speak English well, but English speaking staff helped me well. The bouthque hotel is not large, so the manager and staff know who is the hotel guest always. It is safe and comfortable single traveler. It is not walking distance to the famous old town, and they have shuttle bus service few times a day.
I stayed Deluxe room then, and house-keeping is excellent. They kept my room very clean always. The only thing I was embarrassed was the noise of air-conditioner. I hope they have quiet air-conditioner next time. I hope the new hotel will be prosperious and matured.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Northern_chiangmai, Manager at Sheik Istana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing such a good comment about your stay with us.

In particular, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the leisure activities proposed by our animation team and that our staff managed to put you at easy. We really take care about our guest’s needs and desires, being our main purpose making you feel well assisted.

We assure you that we will continue working to improve your next experience with us.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Even if we are not on "honeymoon", we bought the honeymoon package. The package is very attractive and is offered during the low-season. I have stayed the first two nights at sheik Istana Hotel while the last two nights at Aruntara. when compared, I prefer sheik Istana Hotel because of quietness and facing to the riverside.

We stayed in the deluxe room with pantry but without any cooking utensils, it is very spacious and has a balcony facing to the river.
The breakfast was great, we can choose whatever we like in the menu. This is a nice meal even better that than of the romantic dinner offered in the package.
My friend and I enjoyed an 1-hour oil massage very much, the staff was very skillful and performed much better than that of "Cheeva".
We do not join the half-day trip in the package, it was a trip to the temple at the mountain.
Shuttle bus is great!! I took it to the night bazaar at 6:30pm and the shuttle bus picked us up at 9:30pm. On Sat, to the sat night bazaar while to the sun night bazaar on sun. Relatively, the night bazaar from Mon to Fri is not so attractive when compared to those on sat and sun. At 9am and 1pm, they also arrange shuttle bus to nearby, but one way only.

shortcoming ; the package included a "romantic dinner", I have arranged that we should have a dinner at 5pm. We arrived at the restaurant at 5pm, the waitress totally had no ideas on our arrangement even if we have claimed clearly our package including a dinner and room number. After 20 mins, she started to understand what is happening and serve the appetizer, mussels which were prepared for our dinner at 5pm was cold....

opening hour of Sauna from 4-8pm only, very disappointed

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Customer,

Firstly, I would like to say thank you very much for your review and we are really do apologies for all of inconvenient during your stay.
We will continue working to improve our services following your comments and would have pleasure in welcoming you again in the nearest future.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

Great design, nice view and very good service... I stayed here for 3 night with my wife and my parent. Please don't forget to try Moroccan style food at restaurant at night. You will experience Thailand nice pagoda along the Mae Ping river.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Customer,

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We will continue working to improve our services and would have pleasure in welcoming you again in the nearest future.