“Marvelous Steak Dinner”

Pern's Mediterranean Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #270 of 2,271 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A friendly small restaurant with great food and good value. Live music on Wednesdays and Sundays and Half price House Wine on Wednesdays!
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I had the opportunity to enjoy a steak dinner at Pern's earlier this month. I have to tell you, it's the ONLY restaurant I've found in Chiang Mai where I would order beef. His beef is some sort of hi bred Kobe beef from Australia. It's tender, full of flavor and prepared with excellence. The owner Brian Pern is an avid supporter of the displaced people along the Thai / Burma border, which is the reason I went there in the first place. In addition to the steak, they have several other great dishes on the menu. I'm especially fond of his lamb dishes.

Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

A nice evening all around. A bit pricy for chiang mai, but oh we'll it is a nice place to go. Food other than tapas is good and more plentiful than average for Thailand. We'd 1/2 off wine is nice. Tapas were fun, but each were very good without being exceptional. I was rather hoping for exceptional.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

After closing for a complete refurbishment Pern's is now open as a full tapas bar, whilst still retaining much of its Mediterranean menu. The owner Brian, his partner Pong and his delightful staff now also offer an extensive selection of tapas dishes, ranging in price from 25 to 65 baht a dish (12p to 30p). Incredible good value presented and served in true tapas style in elegent individual dishes. There is enough of a broad selection to suit all tastes, including many suitable for vegetarians. Some are piquent enough to also please the local Thai pallete. Simply tick the dishes required from the lisitng provided with accompanying, fully illustrated descriptions.
One can sit at the new, long bar on comfortable, height adjusting seats or in the main dining area as before.
There is now also a selection of draught German, Belgium and Dutch beers to quench your thirst together with the usual wide wine selection and cocktails to order.
A delightful dining experience to suit all tastes and pockets.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I've now dined at Pern's at least 3 times and each time was a wonderful experience. The owner, Brian Pern, greets and chats with his diners, the staff is always helpful and the food has been a delight to consume. Wednesdays are my favorite due to the half price house wine ... but its the food that brings me back.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Ate here in May 2013. Ordered some tapas and other mains, one of the tapas selection a chicken ball thing came out cold. Asked for it to be cooked again or reheated, again came out cold. We asked the waiter if it was supposed to be cold he said no it should be hot. When it came out cold the second time we were informed the kitchen was closed and nothing could be done. We asked for a discount or not to be charged for the tapas, the friendly Thai waiter had to ask the manager which I assume was the older farang guy behind the bar. We were told sorry no discount and we were still charged for something that was we couldn't eat. The other food was fine, but this disdain of customers would make me never want to step foot into this restaurant again.

6  Thank swglobetrotter