“BEAUTIFUL DECOR-OK FOOD”
Review of Sahara Thai - CLOSED

Sahara Thai
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: One of the most interesting restaurants in the most exiting area of Chiang Mai, Sahara offers a varied range of cuisine set in a beautiful Moroccan style environment. From popular western foods to exotic middle eastern dishes to a wide variety of local Thai flavours, high quality dining at very affordable price is on offer. A second floor rooftop bar with a relaxing open air lounge features a Bedouin style tent roof. Upstairs you will also find private hookah smoking rooms serving a variety of fruit flavoured shisha tobacco. Playing the latest lounge music, this setting mixes perfectly with our large range of cocktails and imported Belgian and German beers. Our well stocked wine cellar holds a wide range of fine wines from around the world. We're open daily Sunday to Thursday 11.00 to midnight and Friday to Saturday 11.00 to 01.00 am.
Phitsanulok, Thailand
“BEAUTIFUL DECOR-OK FOOD”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I love middle eastern food, which is not too available here in Thailand where I live. When I have the craving the Sahara fills the bill, but the food is not spectacular. I reccomend the salads, such as baba ganoush (my favorite) and humus with pita bread. I have had both the pork (sorry no lamb) and chicken kebabas on 3 occaissions and they were always overcooked. The place is beautifully designed in a Morrocan theme, and has never been crowded when I was there. The prices are typical of a falang specialty restaurant in Thailand. The service is not real quick. I'd go back again just because this cuisine is not easy to find.

• Visited March 2013

• Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
“Went for a late lunch and almost got served at dinner time”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Dropped in for a late lunch with my wife, not many customers. Ordered from the waiter, who could not understand menu, though we pointed to items. Wife's food given to another table, so we had to swap with them. Salad arrived first with entree last. My order still not arrived when my wife had finished her main & entree. Great looking place with potential, but after 2 visits in 2 weeks, will give it a miss. Sorry guys.

Visited March 2013
Falls City, Texas, United States
“Descent buffet”
Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Came in for the first time . Salad buffet 99 baht & mixed drink (mojito) 139 baht. Drink watered down and salad bar with fresh veggies and fruits was ok. Asked for bottled water and the bottle served out of nasty. Decided against drinking it. Overall seems to be ok place. Sat inside

Toronto, Canada
“A Secret Oasis in Chiang Mai”
Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I arrived around 7 P.m. hungry seeking a meal of good Middle Eastern fare.
Boy, were we surprised. First, we were the only ones inside this otherwise deserted restaurant . It was like our private dining room. All the other patrons were seated outside sucking in the fumes and noise from the busy street. The Sahara is beautifully decorated and the seating very comfortable.
The service was prompted and we ordered a humous appetizer and a chicken and eggplant dish. It was exquisite .
There was one over zealous staff member who attempted to take our dish away while we were paused in good conversation.
i think he was bot bored and inexperienced as his function appeared to be rather of minimal utility.
When we were about to leave around nine another couple arrived . I noticed that the traffic had died down outside and perhaps this would be a good time to make use of the beautiful outside patio service .
I ,indeed felt full as did my partner and the bill was under 450 Baht.
i do look forward to returning soon again as I live a short stroll away.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
“This place is a secret”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I can't for the life of me figure out why there aren't more people at this restaurant. And then it dawned on me last night while leaving (for about the 30th time, we eat here all the time), that the restaurant is so spread out, with an outdoor area, an upstairs area, an upstairs back area, an indoor downstairs area (you get the drift) and I just can't see everyone, but they're there.

I live here in Chiang Mai and I've not met anyone that knows Sahara to have said anything bad about it. The food is excellent. My personal favorite is the Chicken Panini sandwich with pesto sauce. Really, just so fresh and delicious. And it comes with fries. I mean, being an American, you'd think you were eating at a number of excellent restaurants of that city. But this is Thailand and good western food is hard to find sometimes. And my Thai wife loves the Thai food there. I forgot what she seems to order all the time, but whatever it is, it passes the quality control of this tough to please woman. ;-) Just go, trust me.

• Visited January 2013