“Wonderful people at Naruncha, travellers I met over there”

Naruncha Green House
Ranked #232 of 825 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 3, 2013

First time to visited in Chiang mai. I have been stay at Naruncha nearly 6 months since March to August. owner and staffs are very familiar, honest, kind I saw many travellers during livening over there most traveller were repeaters. I was enjoying meals sometime with them. Specially very friendly lady dancing front of me! Who made for travellers excellent manner so comfy funny. I would not moved other guest houses during 6 months. New Naruncha guest house close to many markets very convenient place and surrounding area very economy . They have also massage spa inside old city, coming soon Thai traditional Massage school, and guest house + organise short trips country near Thailand, in Thailand as well. they are not charged extra prices honest people very local. No thief's over there I knew one couple were stay there & owner asked them to report police about missing them drive license, iPhone etc but stranger couple are refused they don't want pay money n didn't pay for the room such very bad couple disappearing So sorry all kind staffs at Naruncha

Room Tip: Good quiet place, closes many markets, economy serounding area
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 17, 2013

PLEASE DO NOT STAY IN THIS GUEST HOUSE!!! The people who run and own this place are shameful people. My boyfriend and I booked to stay here for three nights, after reading the great reviews this place had. Now we wish we hadn't! We were the only people staying here and when we arrived we thought it was a lovely family guest house. But how we were very wrong...after locking our bedroom door and going to sleep last night they came into our room and stole an Iphone, money, all our bank and credit cards, driving licenses, and sunglasses. We woke up to find the door open and all of our valuables gone. The owner was asleep on the floor outside the bedroom door, so if someone else had came in she would have noticed. They were the only people that had a spare key into the room so presume they used this to come into the room. When we told them they had nothing to say to us and carried on with what they had to do. I don't normally leave reviews but I am leaving this review as I want to make sure that nobody else stays in this guest house again, so please read this and DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Hannah C
NarunchaGH, Owner at Naruncha Green House, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Since we opened our guest house in 2011 we have had no reports of missing articles.
Although this is not our understanding of what the guests reported to us, we responded to this unfortunate isolated incident by offering to take the couple to the police station to file a report.
They declined our help.

Note: the guests' comments on TripAdvisor in May were brought to our attention only recently.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I actually stayed back in February 2012 and we loved the location, the price, and the owners were super friendly & helpful. They made calls on our behalf to arrange a tour we wanted to partake on, very grateful for the assistance. We'll definitely make our way back there in the future. Thank you, Naruncha!

Room Tip: Try to get a bottom floor room to avoid the rising heat to the top floors.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I came to Naruncha with high expectations following all of the favourable reviews on Trip Advisor but sadly my experience didn't quite match other people's. There are some positives: the room was fairly cheap, clean and comfortable (I paid 300 baht a night for a small double room with a fan) and the guesthouse is situated near the south end of the old city, just a short walking distance from some decent bars and many of Chiang Mai's temples.

Sadly, there were also a fair few negatives. First of all, whilst the price of the rooms is competitive, there is a big emphasis on up selling tours and massages. So much so that I heard an American couple being told that they could stay one night but the second would be conditional on them booking tours. Luckily I escaped this by purchasing both a massage and a tour on the first day, which I had planned to do anyway. I understand that this is common in Chiang Mai and that guesthouse owners need to make money, but I stayed at three places in Chiang Mai and this was the only place that I came across this attitude. Also, just a small thing that doesn't seem to be mentioned elsewhere, but Naruncha is close to a flight path so there is noise from planes overhead. Not a big deal but it sort of conflicted with this image of a tranquil paradise that I had read elsewhere.

Finally, and this is purely down to personal preference, but Naruncha is a very small guesthouse with Goi, the owner, seemingly everywhere you go. The (very clean) shared bathroom is right next to the kitchen and owner's sleeping space so if you're looking for relative anonymity this isn't the place for you. One night I came home about 1am after having a few drinks in town and you have to literally walk over Goi to get to the room, so she woke up as I very cautiously and quietly tiptoed through the door. The next morning she seemed a little funny with me and tried to deny that I had booked a second night's stay. I was then asked to move to an inferior room right next to the owner's sleeping area, feeling like a naughty child! Luckily I had an email confirming my two night stay so they eventually let me have the same room. Not a very pleasant experience and needless to say I booked another guesthouse for the following night.

For the price Naruncha has some positives, but there are far better guesthouses in Chiang Mai. I stayed in three in total and this was my least favourite.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Mikey_Forrester
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed in total 7 nights in this guest house, in 4 of their 7 rooms as we kept booking the room only for one more day as long as we booked our next destination. The lady who seems to have the main responsibility of this guest house cannot speak English but calls always someone who can or often there are also her kids / relatives (?) present who can some English. The family sleeps in the reception if no rooms are free. Shared bathroom is the familys own bathroom (actually this is 1 separate toilet, one separate shower and one bathroom with toilet and shower) but never needed to queue there.

The service attitude of the staff is amazingly excellent! We washed some laundry by ourselves and when the owner lady saw this she hanged our laundry in the front garden to dry. Last day when leaving my boyfriend had one pair of wet socks and the owner lady was drying these with a fan when we came to the hotel to pick up our luggage. :)

Hotel staff organised us some trips with very competitive price, everything worked well with these trips.

Hotel location is nice - 15 minutes walking distance from the east gate of the old town. Not in the centre of everything but peaceful area, nice fresh fruit shakes available from the neighbourhood, very cheap self-service laundy in the neighbor etc.

Ps. Roosters keep noice every morning so sleeping in Chiang Mai in the morning is not very peaceful if you don't have earplugs. Also dogs kept barking in the neighbour.

Room Tip: All 4 rooms we stayed in very clean and convenient. We tried both with aircon and fan - also fan is...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Just walk by after a long day of walking through temples, but my feet decided to stop for a massage. Soon enough they were follow by my neck, back and shoulders. A complete upraised. They all wanted to stay and live there. Fantastic massage!

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Very nice and friendly staff, so familiar. Clean and cheap hostel. Just 10 minute walking from night bazaar. The hostel is in a little street and Taxi driver had a problem with the adress, but... give him the phone number and... done!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends