“Really cool and different experience”

Something Different Day Tours
Ranked #54 of 281 Tours in Chiang Mai
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We took the motorcycle day tour, 50% onroad 50% offroad, great fun and we've been to places not accesible to "normal" tourists. I had no experience in driving a motorcycle (onroad or offroad) but the guide(Pat) spent time explaining and waiting for me when I was lagging behind. Offroad part wasn't difficult as long as you have acceptable balance, you should be ok. To keep it short it was the highlight of our vacantion in Thailand, highly recommended if you are looking for SOMETHING DIFFERENT :).

3  Thank sirbugaby
There are newer reviews for Something Different Day Tours

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Spent the day doing the motorbike tour. Took a little bit of getting used to the different gears that what I'm used to. Had to had to push down with my left foot to up shift and vice versa. My guide was very patient with me as I tried to navigate a sandy downhill portion. Had a great time though! Went to Doi Suthep, two waterfalls and several viewpoints. Had lunch by a lake (already forgotten the name). Highly recommended for anyone who wants to get off the many tours buses I zoomed by on my little motorbike...

1  Thank PalagiPepelo
Reviewed January 15, 2013

My partner and I booked a day trip up to the mountains on scooters. We were told it was 1 1/2 hours on flat road then a little bit of off-road. We didn't have motorbike experience but I wanted to give it a go. In the end the tour guides convinced us it was probably better to be passengers than to drive. I'm so glad they persisted because the "off-road" part of the trip is not just dirt road...

These guys live up to their name.

My boyfriend and I chose a motorbike tour for 1 day (approx AU$80 each). It took us out of Chiang Mai and up towards the mountains. Our group was only 5 people total which was great. I much prefer a smaller tour group and if you choose to be a passenger you can ask your friendly guide as much about Chiang Mai along the way.

We stopped and bought food and took it up the mountain to a family to share lunch with. It was a bit confronting to see how these people live but they were happy, polite and very hospitable. We then headed off to a beautiful waterfall and up through strawberry, vegetable, and flower farms. Lots and lots of rice paddies and a fantastic view of the mountains. We finished at a large temple, and then headed home. Thankfully there was a stop along the way to admire the sunset and to rest and stretch a bit. You do get a little sore if you're not used to it!

There were many times I thought I was going to fall off but our guides were confident drivers and they had all my trust. Besides, once you get used to bouncing over rocks and tree routes you get into a rhythm and it's like being on a small trampoline.

If you're looking for a day-long adventure then this tour is fantastic. However, if you choose to drive you really do need motorbike experience. And if you're a passenger you can master the art of holding on with one hand and taking photos with the other! It's great... and definitely something different.

3  Thank Tess O
Reviewed January 4, 2013

From my first contact with Nat via email I knew "Something Different Day Tours" was the right choice for our 3 days in Chiang Mia. Nat was able to fit in all the things we wanted to do and see in the itinerary and provided us with a clear, well planned out trip. James met us at the airport with a clean comfortable van for our family of 5 and he made our vacation stress-free and entirely enjoyable! James was friendly, informative and truly went out of his way to make sure we had the best experience while in Chiang Mai. He listened to what we were interested in and curious about and therefore was more than just a guide taking us from one place to another - he shared his city and culture with us. His choices for lunch and dinner were fantastic both in terms of food and atmosphere. We spent some time talking about the treks available with "Something Different Day Tours" and we would love to return to Chiang Mai again for one of their treks - they sound amazing.
We have traveled with other tour guides in many cities throughout China and the team from "Something Different Day Tours" is one of the best!

2  Thank mohitos
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Had a great time with Nat, so friendly and passionate about what he does - would really highly recommend to anyone and a much more pleasant experience than with the other CM tour companies.
A must for anyone!