“everything i expected and more”

Ran-Tong (Save and Rescue Elephant Centre)
Austin, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“everything i expected and more”
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

As an elephant lover, I knew an elephant ride was a necessary part of my trip to Thailand, but was apprehensive about booking with a company that treated the elephants poorly. I'd seen my fair share of companies that used bull hooks and wicker baskets that hurt the elephants backs. I was thrilled to see Ran Tong goes above and beyond to ensure the animals are treated well. No instruments are used - only verbal commands. You can tell the mahouts love them and have personal relationships with them.

We booked a half day your and really enjoyed ourselves. We loved getting to bathe the elephants and the lunch was incredible. Definitely recommend!

1 Thank tallytraveling

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Dundee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Life- changing experience!!?”
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Myself and my daughter decided on the Ran Tong trip for 2 reasons (great price and ethics). It was a fantastic experience and amazing to be so close to such powerful but gentle animals. We thought it was one of the best experiences of our lives. I'm still in Thailand and am booking anothet trip for my Birthday next week and hope as they say that an elephant always remembers you! The other reviews have covered everything we felt and experienced eloquently. The only other thing to add is- if you are deciding on an ethical elephant experience- THIS IS IT!

1 Thank Sandra846
Bangkok, Thailand
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“No photos as promised, not organised”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Photos were included in the price of our full day package but never posted on Facebook as promised. We were group "16-04-14 full day 2" full day 1 and the half day groups were posted but not our group. When I emailed and telephoned them about the problem I was told, "Well received your email with apologize, please let me find out and get back to you ASAP". We are still waiting for the photos or an explanation of what happened to them. I notice in the reviews that a few other groups have had the same problem in the past.

A few other items could also be improved upon. We begun the day with a rather long boring introduction to riding. one at a time each member of the group got a personal riding lesson as the rest of the group just stood and looked on. Later in the day we had lunch and then a very long rest period where we did nothing but sit around. Some people even went to sleep. It seemed apparent the they were trying to kill time to make the full day. Group one ahead of us seemed to be the priority as we were put on hold.

To start the day we were ask to put our personal item in the van where they would be locked. That system seemed to work fine until later when you got to the mini gift shop. I do not imaging they sell much there since most people have there money locked in the van at the bottom of the hill.

My advice, if you decide to visit Rantong is to make sure you bring your camera. Book the half day so you can save money and don't have to put up with all the down time. Better yet go to Patara or one of the more established camps.

2 Thank Michael S
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Rantong Elephant Training is not what you d expect from reading other reviews”
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

I think Rantong elephant training needs to change its name to elephant conservation. They are really keen to take care of more elephants and keep them safe so do visit this farm. It was a great day for the whole family with two short (long enough!) bare back elephant rides plus elephant washing and feeding. The guide was v informative and helpful and the children really enjoyed feeding and hugging the elephants! A great day out!
I would have liked to have heard more about how the camp works with the mahouts to treat the elephants respectfully and more of an organised centre giving the backgrounds of each elephant.

1 Thank Jane R
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“You will not regret this experience.”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Jennifer and Bass were incredible guides for our perfect day. We spent the day with the baby elephant named Pet, and had an amazing time bathing and feeding him. If you're wondering whether or not to do this, just do it. You will be very glad you did.

3 Thank CrashHarris