“Great Day”

Ran-Tong Save & Rescue Elephant Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: Ran-Tong elephant camp is devoted to preserving the future of abused and domestic elephants in Chiang Mai and across Thailand. Every elephant we rescue from hardship brings us closer to saving them from the brink of extinction. Our goals are not only geared towards protection and prevention but also educating the public. Rated as one of the best ethical elephant sanctuaries in Chiang Mai for activities like learning, bathing, feeding & playing with elephants. Free Hotel Pickup & Drop-off.
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We looked into lots of different places before we decided on this one. The elephants seemed well cared for and everyone seemed genuinely interested in their welfare. Great day out - particularly washing the elephants in the river.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,642)
All reviews
"change of clothes"
in 30 reviews
"basic commands"
in 18 reviews
"best experiences of my life"
"take care"
in 37 reviews
"picked up from our hotel"
in 34 reviews
"khao soi"
in 27 reviews
"their lives"

Reviewed September 16, 2013

The staff were very unassuming but attentive to every detail. The camp is very basic and exactly what you'd expect in the midst of the mountains and beside a rapid flowing river. The elephants come from a variety of backgrounds and must feel as though they've arrived in heaven. I must admit that I was very scared when chosen first to show how I had listened to the various commands as to how to control the elephant. But the staff helped me and the elephant work together. I just loved washing the elephants in the water and giving back to them in this way. Their eyes are so deep and mysterious. And their trunks are so powerful. They are truly gracious creatures who should be cared for. The staff took my camera for me and took some amazing photos as we washed the elephants. Be sure to bring a change of clothes and a towel from your hotel. This is an experience I shall never forget!

Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had an amazing half day here with the elephants. We learnt how to command and climb onto the elephant bare back before riding into the jungle towards the river and waterfall. We played in the water and then continued up the mountain to eat a delicious thai green curry in a grass hut. The views from here were breathtaking! Mr. T and his staff really do take care of the elephants

Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

There is a lot of choice when it comes to Elephant Camps in Chaing Mai. I really care about not supporting places that treat their animals badly but also wanted to be able to get up close and ride/play with these beautiful creatures. I accept that if you want to do this the elephants will need to be trained, to those who wrote negative reviews on here I say - if you want to see a wild elephant go on safari. If you want to ride one accept that it will be trained!!

I felt that this camp had the perfect balance. The animals were obviously trained so I felt very safe with them and they were also clearly well taken care of.

Had a wonderful ride on our own elephant then bathed them which was the highlight of the day. After a second ride back to camp we had a delicious meal and were then taken back to Chaing Mai. We were even offered juice and snaks for the return journey. Everything included and no pressure to purchase anything extra or even to tip.

They also take photographs during the day and post them online for you to download - a great extra service!

1  Thank gembi
See more reviews
Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a amazing experience we had with my family. We booked this trip on the Internet in Australia. We where picked up from our hotel around 8am for the long trip to the camp. We arrived and where introduced to the elephants then taken upstairs to learn to speak commands and change into our outfits. We where taken to a elephant to learn to ride and practice the commands. After practising we where given our elephant to ride into the jungle as much as I loved the experience it was a uncomfortable ride . After the ride we had a beautiful lunch and rest time to prepare or our ride to the river the best bit by far. Once arriving at the river the elephant walked straight in and laid down whilst we bathed it. Just a little hint wear runners not thongs as current was quite fast in some areas. We had a baby elephant with as well who just loved the water who my kids loved playing with in the water. It was the most enjoyable day by all of my family learning and bathing these wonderful animals. One more hint whist riding these animals they love to spray there bodies with muddy water getting you as well but that was part of the fun. Thank you rantong for a beautiful day

1  Thank debbiekeppel