“Day with the elephants”

Ran-Tong Save & Rescue Elephant Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: Ran-Tong elephant camp is devoted to preserving the future of abused and domestic elephants in Chiang Mai and across Thailand. Every elephant we rescue from hardship brings us closer to saving them from the brink of extinction. Our goals are not only geared towards protection and prevention but also educating the public. Rated as one of the best ethical elephant sanctuaries in Chiang Mai for activities like learning, bathing, feeding & playing with elephants. Free Hotel Pickup & Drop-off.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a amazing experience we had with my family. We booked this trip on the Internet in Australia. We where picked up from our hotel around 8am for the long trip to the camp. We arrived and where introduced to the elephants then taken upstairs to learn to speak commands and change into our outfits. We where taken to a elephant to learn to ride and practice the commands. After practising we where given our elephant to ride into the jungle as much as I loved the experience it was a uncomfortable ride . After the ride we had a beautiful lunch and rest time to prepare or our ride to the river the best bit by far. Once arriving at the river the elephant walked straight in and laid down whilst we bathed it. Just a little hint wear runners not thongs as current was quite fast in some areas. We had a baby elephant with as well who just loved the water who my kids loved playing with in the water. It was the most enjoyable day by all of my family learning and bathing these wonderful animals. One more hint whist riding these animals they love to spray there bodies with muddy water getting you as well but that was part of the fun. Thank you rantong for a beautiful day

1  Thank debbiekeppel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,629)

Reviewed September 2, 2013

There are many places around Chiang Mai u can go for a ride, but even this was my first one, I'm sure it's one of the best.
We reserved a afternoon ride a night before by phone & arranged pick up at 2pm. We wanted the afternoon only coz of others plans we had.
We were lucky to be just two of us, mostly in a sense that private experience.
Firstly they taught us something about elefants, we improved some commands and first real try in a smaller elefant. That the real ride to the river ( must accept I was scared so I went firstly with my boyfriend together) , than a funny and precious bath and cleaning with three elefants and turn back each of us with our own elefant.
Afterwards a small ride up to the hill, lovely dinner with natural and beautiful views and back to the hotel.
I really enjoyed this experience and I truly recommend this place.
Animals treating nicely and respectful.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We visited the camp today and we were all thoroughly pleased with the experience we had. Riding bareback on the elephants and bathing them in the river was the highlight of the trip. We were all very impressed with the set-up and service provided, the elephants seemed happy and contented, the babies were especially cute! We would definitely recommend this experience to anyone who would like to ride an elephant in a more natural environment.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We took an afternoon tour, booked that same morning by phone, and they picked us up without troubles. The camp is about 40 min away from Chiang Mai, in the middle of the countryside. The trip was nice with a lot of sightseeing.

When we arrived, we were greeted by the staff, including Jan, our guide, who was super friendly (and spoke perfect english, he's Swedish). We were alone in the afternoon tour (just the two of us), they gave us some clothes for changing (you WILL get dirty and wet), and then we had some basic training.
After the initial training, we rode to a river, where we could bathe them and get to spend a lot of time with them. Afterwards, we rode back to the camp up the hill (amazing view) to have a delicious dinner on the hut terrace.

The elephants were very well taken care of, no chains, seats or pointy sticks to guide them, the mahouts used only voice commands to guide them. Also, they are not forced to do unnatural things as in other camps (painting, dancing or that kind of stuff). You can really see that they care about them.
Also, my wife was a bit scared at first (first time to ride an elephant), and didn't want to ride, so Jan walked with her the first half, afterwards we rode together, we both loved it.
The staff was super friendly and helped us all the time, they take a lot of pictures for you (which you can download from their facebook site), and we never felt rushed.

The camp is relatively new (7 months), and they are still working on it, I'm sure it will become very famous with time. If we return to Chiang Mai, we would totally go there again.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Went with our family yesterday to this camp, I have been coming to Thailand for twenty years and I can honestly say this has been the best experience I have had. The elephants are looked after so well... No tricks just a wonderful ride down to the river where we washed the elephants and then back to the camp. Our guide Jan was very knowledgable and answered our many questions about the elephants. It was very obvious that the all the staff love the elephants and their job caring for them. A wonderful experience, worth every penny I thoroughly recommend it .... Not to be missed.