“Fake fake FAKE!”

Ran-Tong Save & Rescue Elephant Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: Ran-Tong elephant camp is devoted to preserving the future of abused and domestic elephants in Chiang Mai and across Thailand. Every elephant we rescue from hardship brings us closer to saving them from the brink of extinction. Our goals are not only geared towards protection and prevention but also educating the public. Rated as one of the best ethical elephant sanctuaries in Chiang Mai for activities like learning, bathing, feeding & playing with elephants. Free Hotel Pickup & Drop-off.
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was informed that this camp was one of the better ones where the elephants were happy and treated fairly. This is not the case! While the mahouts will not use sticks or weapons in front of tourists, they do indeed beat the elephants in secret. I witnessed an incident where one mahout actually bit the baby elephant on its ear and cruelly forced it to perform tricks. The baby screamed in pain. The elephant I rode had bloody holes all over its skin. I really thought this place would be different but I was horrified to find out what went on there. Boycott.

27  Thank Matronomy
Write a ReviewReviews (1,620)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

So exciting animals, nice location, good staff, tasty food = amazing experience.

In this camp to everyone, we had no problem and had a lot of fun. I Will never forget this day.

Thanks a lot of mahout in this camp and their elephants. Elephant so cute.

3  Thank classiclady499
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Please please please do not visit this place unless it is to rescue the elephants. ALL elephants including the baby are chained up ALL day with no water and very little food. I saw some of the 'trainers' wielding sticks with huge spikes on the end and witnessed some barbaric 'training' of one particular animal who was whacked on the feet and legs, shouted at and leapt onto from another elephant. My particular elephant was obviously exhausted, starving and very very thirsty as most of my ride (which I now very much regret) was spent with this poor elephant eating and drinking. I saw marks on some of the elephants that looked like spike marks and saw what looked like blood underneath the leg of the very biggest elephant & left feeling very very sad & confused that this trip was advised as a very good trip.

19  Thank Alex J
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

This was an awesome trip! Riding , feeding and bathing the elephants was well worth the two and a half hour ride to the camp in the back of what amounted to a 8 person tuk tuk. My only critique would be that face masks should be given out just as clothes for the elephant ride. The ride to and from the camp was quite dusty. Again, once we got there it was well worth the trip. Making our own Thai lunch was great too. The highlight for us though was the baths. The elephants truly looked like they were having fun...like this was their reward. Would definately reccomend Ram-Tong for this experience.

2  Thank globetrotterz
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Just in few words: exciting animals, nice location, good staff, tasty food = amazing experience.

I can recommend this camp to everyone, we had no problem and had a lot of fun. Will never forget this day.

Thanks to people of this camp and their elephants.

8  Thank Tom P