“Surprisingly negative evening”

Ranked #309 of 2,813 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Piccola Roma Palace has been the first Italian restaurant in Chiang Mai (Thailand), founded in 1991 by an award winning Italian Chef, Angelo Faro. In 1991 Mr. Faro was nominated as 'Maitre de Table' of the prestigious 'Chaine des Rotisseurs' subsequently becoming'Grand Officer Maitre-Chef'.
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I start by saying that this is a restaurant too expensive for certain sensitivity and courtesy deficiencies, however, I had been satisfied with the previous visit then I went back with my friend again with the expectation of a nice relaxing dinner, but it was turned into a non-qualifying disappointing experience. The restaurant is quite good, the staff is friendly, and depending on what you order the food is good. We ordered a good appetizer, a very creamy pasta carbonara, and a cold served absolutely disgusting pizza, good wine dessert and coffee, I would say that the cost of food is too high for the quality of the ingredients, but the real dissonance of this place is the arrogant and rude owner. I was sorry to be back here because of embarrassment for the food and the screams directed to staff that the whole room heard during the dinner.. A classy place as Piccola Roma should be, cannot afford to economize in ingredients and abound in the neglect of incivility and pleasantries. No one apologized or cared about us, so the atmosphere fell into a sad embarrassment. What to do ! we asked for the bill and we left.
I had a good experience and a bad one, so don't know how to judge this place, but certainly is that I have ascertained a significant decline in quality of food, and in the class of the restaurant. For the money that you pay this things absolutely can not happen !

Date of visit: August 2014
12  Thank johc_cesar
AngeloFaro, Owner at Piccola Roma Palace, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear Sir,
I think you may misunderstanding about the arrogant and rudeness. I'm very friendly with the customers. In Italian 'arrogant' is very impolite. Your explanation about your review is also very impolite. For the food in Piccola Roma, one carbonara is 250 bht and one pizza is 250 bht. It's reasonable price and this is a restaurant not a street Thai food. It's impossible for the cold pizza because the kitchen is next to the room. And for the staff, they have been working here for 24 years in Piccola Roma. If I was very impolite with the staff, they wouldn't work here with me for that long.

Reviewed August 8, 2014

This restaurant can compete favorably with some of the amazing restaurants I have been in in Italy. The owner and chef, Angelo Faro, is a member of Chaine des Rotisseurs, so you cant get much better then that. He is Italian and has lived in Thailand for many years. He brought the taste of Italy with him.
The pastas are fantastic and the Caesar salad had the perfect dressing on it. All the pastas are homemade and the flavor attests to that.
The location is very convenient. I love to walk and actually walked to the restaurant from the Le Meridien. I went early, around 6:30 so It wasn't too crowded but it was getting so around 8:00pm. Its popular with both locals, expats and tourists.
The homemade lemoncello capped off a perfect meal.

Date of visit: January 2014
1  Thank cruisr
AngeloFaro, Owner at Piccola Roma Palace, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review. I'm very happy you like my food and my service. Please come again anytime.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Piccola Roma Palace is located near the night market of Chiang Mai. It serves a variety of the Italian cuisine from Pasta and Pizza to Seafood. Chef Angelo serves excellent dishes with his own touch and a smile.

You can walk to the restaurant if your hotel is located near the night market, but if you booked a table and you don't feel like walking, a driver from the restaurant will come and pick you up.

Date of visit: August 2014
1  Thank ybaram

Thank you very much for your kind review. I'm very happy you had a good time having dinner at Piccola Roma. Please come again anytime.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

I have visited this restaurant 5 times over the past two years and every time I am more impressed with the food, service and ambience Chef Angelo creates Piccola Roma. As well as the best collection of Italian wines I have seen in Thailand, the fresh home made pasta and special ingredients flown in from Europe and Australia make for a unique culinary experience in Northern Thailand. I love to eat Thai food when in Chiang Mai, but for a special treat, Piccola Roma really hits the mark - highly recommended!

Date of visit: July 2014
1  Thank Dallas H
AngeloFaro, Owner at Piccola Roma Palace, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Thank you very much for your kind review. I am very happy you like my food, my service and keep returning to Piccola Roma and I hope to see you again on your next trip to Chiang Mai.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

Visited Piccola Roma on my last visit to Chiang Mai in 2011 and was impressed by the organically grown local vegetables and home made pasta so when I had my 1st visitor from the U.S after moving here permanently in April of this year.I had to share this special dining experience with him also. Chef's pastas carbonara and bucatini were again unsurpassed both here in Thailand but also by the best Italian restaurants in the U.S.( New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore included ). My friend was equally impressed so Piccola Roma will be a destination for all my U.S visitors who appreciate traditional Roman Italian cuisine!!
Grazi & Khun Kop Chef Angelo and his lovely bride. You both made our evening special!

Mike Pattavina
Chiang Mai, Th.

Date of visit: July 2014
3  Thank Mike P

Thank you very much for your kind review. I am very happy you and your friends like my food ,my service and had an excellent dinner experience at Piccola Roma. I hope to see you again soon.