ATV - Chiang Mai Tours
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Beginner tour is not a beginner tour at all. we were 2 beginners who never drove an ATV before.
first we rode on 2 different vehicles and on the first 15 minutes of the trip , my friend crashed his ATV into a tree.
he was okay but he wanted to continue riding with me on my ATV.
The trip was mostly on the road which is very sloppy and full of cars.
our ATV car was in very bad condition - it was off-balance and very not stable. we could see it passed a few crashed before , also oil was leaking on my foot.
On some part of the trip, on a decline in an asphalt road, we lost the brakes.
With no way of stopping, we crashed at something like 80km/h on another ATV car and got injured.
I was taken to a hospital (a government hospital - my guess that they arranged it cause its cheaper for their insurance), and i was taken care of.
The next days of my trip was awful - full of pain and misrry.
On that same day in the hospital - the company's manager accused me of the crash - she said i hit the brakes too hard and for a long period of time.
Also, she insisted we pay for the ATV damage.
It's a complete shame and i believe they will continue to treat their ATVs poorly.

Overall, i decided i would share my experience.
please, do yourself a favor and dont go ATV in Thailand. or please, do so in a more safe enviorment.

5  Thank Dut389

Reviewed February 5, 2013

95% of the beginner tour is a ride on a very pristine main road, in fact one of the best roads I've ever been on in Thailand.

Riding on proper roads is incredibly boring on an ATV. It would have actually been fun if we just had scooters!

So here's my advice, JUST RENT A SCOOTER for 200 baht, ride the scooter to ATV - Chiang Mai Tours, and then just drive past into the mountains and you'll save yourself 1750 baht and have WAY more fun doing it.

We weren't offered snacks or drinks, although that was in the package the agent showed us. We actually had to buy our drinks from locals. And the ATVs were in poor shape, spewing thick clouds of oil.

3  Thank Porksalot
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I came here while we were visiting in Chiang Mai, I had some experience using an ATV before but she had none. Therefore we chose to go on the beginner tour. There is a little bit of training/practice before the trip starts, you take a lap around their small course. Then the tour starts off to the mountains.

On the beginner trip the group actually is on the road most of the time. Fun and interesting, the beginner tour is very much for beginners. You do go off road a little bit but not very often and when you do, it is not that challenging. So if you do have experience with an ATV (even if you feel you are not that great but still have had some experience) you may want to skip the tour for beginners. The company does offer several tours with different degrees of difficulty.

I think the quality of your experience will depend on your group mates, my wife also mentioned we had a girl in our group who repeatedly became stuck and was quite slow. The group had to stop several times to wait for her. She was on the tour with a friend and even her friend appeared to be mildly annoyed at times.

The staff was very helpful though, patient with the girl in question and (as far as I could see) always quickly willing to help. We were led by a driver from the company in front and then shadowed by another worker in the back. The ATVs themselves were good if perhaps a tad overused. Mine would die repeatedly and I had to start it on the fly. Besides these two minor issues (the girl and the ATV) I had fun and felt I had a good experience. I would certainly recommend if you enjoy riding ATVs or if you want to try something different.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed this except for one rider who ruined our experience. She was the slowest and a pretty bad driver. But that had nothing to do with the company. They were very helpful in helping her get situated whenever she got stuck somewhere. They never left anyone behind. Pretty much, if you are stuck with some slow drivers, you are not going to have as much fun.

The beginners course was very easy. This was my first time on an ATV and I wish I had done a more difficult course, but then again I have no idea how much more difficult a level higher would have been. There wasn't enough rocky terrain for me that I wasn't fully satisfied. We drove mostly on actual roads and stopped at two locations where there were Hmong villages. We got to see their New Year's celebration in their traditional clothing. It was interesting and fun. I highly recommend this, but if you know how to drive a car, maybe the beginners course would be a little too easy.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I chose a 3 hour Tour 2 with a 450cc ATV and it was absolutely brilliant, really enjoyed the ride and the views as I ventured further into the mountains. Do not choose any other tour if you want to off-road as they are predominately stick to the main roads!

Worth every penny and recommended to anyone who is experienced enough and likes an off-road experience.