“Very enjoyable!”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Spotted this little French bistro opposite Wat Chedi Luang in the Old City and reserved a table --luckily, as it was full when I turned up. It's only small, so I would recommend booking! I had the grilled salmon with lemon sauce -- it was perfectly cooked and served with a selection of equally perfectly cooked, crunchy vegetables from the Royal Project. My dessert was nougat ice cream, again attractively served with a small selection of fruit. An amuse-bouche was offered at the start of the meal and a small sweet dish came between main and dessert. The whole meal was very enjoyable and of high quality, the service was efficient and friendly and the price reasonable for good French food. This is a little bistro I look forward to returning to on future visits to Chiang Mai and one which I shall be recommending to friends.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We haven't had good French food in a very long time. So, we decided to give La Fourchette a whirl. It exceeded our expectations. I had the fresh trout with potatoes and veggies and my husband had chicken in a mushroom sauce with potatoes and veggies. They gave us healthy portions. The fish was fresh and cooked to perfection. And, his chicken was melt in your mouth tender with a sauce to die for. He had Crepes Suzette and I had an Apple Tart. Both desserts were flawless. We absolutely loved this charming restaurant. Give it a try...you will pat yourself on the back for doing so. I promise!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Because my wife and I have been to La Fourchette in 2013 quite often since we settled in Chiang Mai one year ago, and because we always had been thrilled by the quality of their treats and of the attentive and kind service and the beautiful ambience, we made up our minds already a few weeks ago to celebrate Christmas there and to have dinner there again, and miraculously La Fourchette offered a Christmas Menu 2013 for Christmas Day which was absolutely perfect for us because we love this little restaurant and its food so much.

When we entered in the evening, we found the restaurant illuminated in a very festive manner and brightly decorated, the tables nicely laid and enlightened by small candles, and in addition to La Fourchette´s lovely textile table-cloth and textile table napkins there were paper napkins as well which showed some lovely Swiss countryside motivs, and the tables were decorated as well with the red petals of the winter rose, a flower which is called Weihnachtsstern in Germany and which is essential in German houses on Christmas and in wintertime. And there was a printed and very beautiful little menu card for every guest, very much alike the programme you have when being at a recital or at a concert of classical music. And indeed the dinner would prove to be a veritable composition on its own. Of course there was also a gorgeous little Christmas tree at the entrance, twinkling and glistening, which seemed to wink to us saying, hey, it´s Christmas. The whole place looked so homely and comfy and romantic, and it really was (it is beautiful at La Fourchette all over the year too, of course). We felt snugly immediately. Very nice dinner music, Latin American tunes, unobtrusive. This restaurant has style. Two bonus points for the lovely atmosphere from the very start.

We were warmly welcomed and shown our table. Chef Oh took the time to welcome us as well, he welcomed every guest this evening before dinner, and we had been 28 guests, a limited number scheduled for this special event.

Looking forward to the evening, we were served table water, and we ordered a bottle of red wine, La Fourchette´s pleasant-tasting Merlot from Chile, and a glass of Campari Soda in addition and a lemonade for my wife. Slices of crunchy and tasty bread and butter were served before the meal. The wine waiter was absolutely attentive, refilling the glasses exactly when they had to be refilled. And then our seven-course meal started. My goodness!, what a fantastic meal. Every fare was cooked and prepared and served à point, which means comme il faut. We had two starters: Salmon Rillettes and Terrine de Foie gras with Roasted Apple and Calvados, then a Roasted Chestnut Cream Soup, followed by Salad de Noel. All four fares absolutely delicious and the portions well-sized. Main course (which as a matter of course had to be ordered in advance when booking): Baked Phuket Lobster or Roasted Beef Wellington. My wife had ordered that gargantuan beast which came straight from the ocean, and it was so tasty she said (well, we shared some and I can only approve), and my Beef Wellington was absolutely great, very soft, melting in the mouth, very flavourful, in one word: excellent, or in two words: divine and so good. The side dishes were selected vegetables from the Royal Project, very very tasty (compliments to the Royal Project, they do a good job) and Potatoes Gratinées, so good. Desserts: Fresh Strawberry Soufflé Glacé, followed by Chocolate Truffle on Brazeli Bricelets which are crunchy Swiss cones. Wonderful again. To complete the Christmas dinner, coffee or tea was served. We had two espressi as we always this after a meal like this. The price: absolutely affordable and adequate to the high quality of food and to the beauty of the place.

The staff were very kind and mindful and competent as they always are, and always with a smile when we were smiling, and they made us smile when they were smiling.

La Fourchette is, I emphasize this, a well-kept restaurant. Cleanliness: absolutely superb.

A nice touch again, when we left we were given the symbol of France, a tiny ceramic rooster, in memory of our Christmas dinner.

The meals, the complete evening were sheer poetry, and Chef Oh is a man of taste. We were full and happy, the dinner was so delicious and abundant and rich that I did not have breakfast next morning, on Boxing Day, nor did I have lunch but was a little hungry again in the afternoon, with the memories of this fantastic dinner at La Fourchette still lingering on.

Do I have to say that we booked for Christmas 2014 already? We really did, so who will be the other 26 people? I can only repeat what my wife and I said on Trip Advisor afore: La Fourchette is a highly recommendable restaurant, and we HIGHLY RECOMMEND it and will be back again soon.

1  Thank Jurgen H
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This place is very romantic, the staff is charming, the service is excellent (with the occasional quirk) and the presentation is good. They served two amuse bouches with the meal, one pre-dessert that was excellent. I had the bone marrow on toast, onion soup, roasted chicken with bacon and shallots, peach melba anbd a glass of the house red (South African). The food was erratic and average on the whole (hence the rating): the chicken was slightly overcooked, the potato cubes seemd to have been sitting in a waming tray and the wine was served chilled (just as well, as it was bordered on having turned bad; had the food been as good as hoped, it would have been a crime to serve the wine with it).
The total bill came to the equivalant of $27 US plus tip, a bit more than I think it was worth given the cost of dining out in ChiangMai.
So maybe it deserves a 4, but one does eat out for the food. I haven't tried the other "French" restaurants in Chiang Mai, maybe this is typical

1  Thank travelin'dave
Reviewed November 1, 2013

For to celebrate my husband's birthday, we recently have been again to this lovely restaurant in Phra Pokklao Road, in the old part of the town, where we have been before, in summer, together with a friend who had liked La Fourchette as much as we did. I do not have to add much to the words of the previous reviewers here on TA but want to confirm and to emphasise that La Fourchette is a top notch restaurant, and to have found such a lovely place in Chiang Mai is still a big and most welcome surprise for me. Having lived in Germany before next to the borders to Luxembourg and France, we know and love French cooking (and we love Italian cooking as well). La Fourchette is a very well-kept place, the meals are well prepared and perfect and absolutely tasty, the starters and main courses and desserts clearly indicate that Chef Oh is a master in the art of cooking, the service is friendly and attentive and helpful, and the interiors and the atmosphere at La Fourchette incredibly cosy. And of course the prices are affordable (whereas they are not in Luxembourg) and reasonable when you consider you are eating fresh high quality food. Big variety of soups and meat and fish and desserts in the menu, and they do not only look beautiful, but they are indeed absolutely delicious. La Fourchette is, to say it in a few words, simply a nice place for a dinner with friends or with one's wife or husband and/or with the one you love..

Being very content again (and full, because the portions are not small at all, and this is another good news for the eaters), we said good-bye after our dinner, and Chef Oh who is a real gentleman came to our table to ask whether we liked the food and the evening in his restaurant (yessss, sure we did!) and to say good-night to us, and as a present we were given a little neat ceramic rooster, un coq ceramique, the symbol of France, which was so sweet and charming and another very nice touch.

Thank you so much for that pleasant evening, dear Chef Oh and staff of La Fourchette, and needless to mention we made a booking yesterday to be back in November with some friends when we are back in town.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.