“Immerse yourself in a real Thai neighborhood!”

Santitham Guest House
Ranked #70 of 801 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 9, 2013

The guest house was clean, and felt more like living in a house than a hotel. Noland the owner was always helpful and friendly, and the neighborhood is great! What I liked the best is it is a non-touristy neighborhood. It is a REAL Thai experience to stay there, and you get real Thai prices, not the tourist ones for all surrounding restaurants, gyms, internet cafes, etc. I noticed how much cheaper it was when I went into the old city around 20 minutes away by baht bus. I paid 10 times cheaper prices for EVERYTHING than in the area where most tourists stay. I also learned more Thai, since I had several opportunities to practice. If you are looking for a hotel in the middle of the action where you are surrounded by other foreigners, want to pay tourist prices, and want to walk very little, do not stay here. Find as place in the old city! If you want to immerse yourself into a TRUE cultural experience, eat better than you ever have for 30 baht, and enjoy the real Thailand life, then stay at Santitham Guest house. i loved this area and would definitely stay there again. The 20 baht you spend on the baht bus called Sonthows that pass by every 5 minutes will be much better than paying 250 baht for the same meal that is 30 baht in this neighborhood, and better quality meals than the tourists experience. This area is where Thai families go to eat! and drink! There is a great English breakfast place down the street called Amazing Sandwich too. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank magic4040

Reviewed July 17, 2013

The hotel is away from touristic area. You are in the middle of local people. You can really spent a whole day walking around seeing their daily activities. The hotel is clean and has comfortable beds. This hotel was a beautiful thai house turned to hotel. Many small things decorated in rooms and hotel made you feel homely. Beautiful garden with small fish pond.

Room Tip: new building
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Digambar S
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Pros: Clean room
Shared bathroom was nice
Pretty grounds

Cons: We rarely saw any employees
A long walk to the part of Chiang Mai that we wanted to see

I chose this place because of positive reviews and specifically high availability of the owner. My experience was the opposite.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank 194SteveS194
nthuss, Owner at Santitham Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

One of the hazards of this trade is that as management, you cannot always be two places at once when guest arrive or need you. I regret that I had to be away from the Guest House when this guest was here for a very short visit. We were down of one of our English speaking staff that day as well. So I apologize for the opportunity to be of service. I always try to help guest when I am around so, I have built a reputation that is not always possible to live up to. Please come see us and remember to do your homework first and make your plans accordingly. There was NO need for
this person to walk 20 mins to the old city when our free bicycles are available to ride or cheap transport is directly in front of our house. I have written to this guest personally and offered my sincere apology. Cheers, Noland

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Really beautiful place located in a quiet area of Chiang Mai. Santitham guesthouse is located away from all of the noisy hustle and bustle of Chiang Mai and a great place to relax and enjoy the beautiful landscaping and decor of the place. There are tons of beautiful Koi fish and parakeets which makes you feel like you are in a tropical oasis. Staff are really friendly and willing to help in any way possible. The place is also gated so you feel safe at night. The beds are the most comfortable beds that we have slept in during our 5 weeks in thailand and the AC is also the best out of any place that we have stayed. The owner lives on site and is always willing to help his guests. He is a really sweet man and knows alot about the area. The price is very reasonable as well. Much cheaper and nicer than most other places we have stayed in.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The guesthouse was about 10 mins drive from the airport. Yeah the location was not so good, a little bit far away from all the temples. The owners English are not really good but they would try their best to understand you. But I still loved this guesthouse for the garden was fabulous, well-decorated, the floating water, the singing birds, the swimming little fish, they were all made you feel so close to the nature! They also had free bikes you can ride. The bed I stayed had ants on it, but they would not bite you, I promise. LOL

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

The guest house was pretty, but before you stay here you should know that it is a VERY long walk (twenty-five minutes to half an hour through local commercial streets and neighborhoods - all quite safe) into the parts of Chiang Mai you are probably there to see. It was sometimes even hard to find a tuk-tuk or taxi to take me back in the evenings, because it was out of the way. Also, the staff (when I could find them) were very sweet but didn't speak a ton of English, and couldn't really provide a ton of help with orienting myself of planning my stay.

So, everything about the grounds and rooms themselves was lovely, but you just need to know what you're getting into in terms of being far away from things and more in your own/isolated that at other guesthouses, so you can make a good choice.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank S K
nthuss, Owner at Santitham Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Obviously, we are very disappointed when one of our guest is not pleased for any reason. However, I think this reviewer is a bit misleading and off the mark. Just read the other reviews. Most of our guest find our location a real plus if you want a true Thai experience. We are located in an upscale collegiate area of town called Santitham. Yes, fortunately, we are out of the highly tourist, commercialize area of town with noisy bars, discos and traffic. Other reviewers use words like sanctuary, oasis, peaceful refuge from the busy commercial side of town to describe our location. Most of our guest really appreciate being in our local Thai neighborhood, not surrounded constantly by other western tourist. I travel easily back and forth to the old city in 10 minutes by our free bicycles. Perhaps this reviewer has a bad sense of direction or just had a series of bad experiences. Or perhaps they love the hustle and bustle of a Bangkok type atmosphere! I am, frankly, quite thankful about our location and would never consider moving. Please come check us out for yourself and join the majority of our guest who love this little part of Thai heaven!

Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

this place is a diamond in the rough. located in a lively neighborhood outside the old city, the garden setting creates a shady and peaceful place to relax. free bikes can take you into the old city (10 min), you can walk (20 min), or have a tuk-tuk or red truck take you from door to door. the street comes alive at night, and feels very safe. wonderful tanin market and the assoc. of blind massage are a short stroll away. the rooms are all nice, although i sprang for the upstairs villa. with my private balcony overlooking the garden, and large beautiful room, it was so worth it. santitham is beautiful, the people were very friendly, and it feels a lot less touristy than the old city.

• Stayed: June 2013