“working holiday”

Santitham Guest House
Ranked #63 of 806 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 1, 2013

in late nov / early december i spent a 2 week working holiday here. this was my 3rd visit to this very charming property and i stayed in one of the lovely deluxe rooms - i love it there, beautifully kept by the friendly staff guided by noland who oversees the efforts of many, including an excellent restaurant that serves delicious (real) thai food or a measured tamer version for westerners. i was helped with my internet requirements so i was able to complete my desired tasks. this property is located in a 'real' part of chiang mai. the open minded approach to the needs of the guests here insure the time spent here and in the chiang mai area to be the rewarding experiences one wishes for when being away from it all.

Room Tip: spend your money, you will receive good value
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Overall, a fantastic place to stay though it is a bit from the city center/action (80-100Bht tuk-tuk ride into Old Chaing Mai). Noland was a great host and very welcoming and down-to-earth. We stayed in the "honeymoon suite" and it was almost like living in a tree house. There were at least 180 degree windows, which overlooked the area (beautiful trees). Breakfast in the morning was bread (toast, croissant, rolls), fresh fruit, muesli/granola, yogurt, and tea/coffee/water. The restaurant next door has music every Saturday and this time was Christmas music...I even won a free bottle of champagne during a drawing! Only suggestions I would have would be to accept credit card in the future (if possible) and provide a bit more assistance in booking tours/renting cars/mopeds. Thanks for a wonderful stay Noland!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank EarthNatureGirl
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed here for one night then found something closer to the action. It was a cute little B&B with a fantastic garden and the rooms, although sparse, were clean and comfortable. I shared a bathroom, which was fine since I was the only one using it. Unfortunately when I was there the hot water wasn't working!:( (despite the owner explicitly telling my upon check in that they have hot water). The owner was friendly but not super helpful - I've had much better service in the area with people helping me find places and things to do....they didn't even have a map to provide (rather thay had one for sale!:( ). A fine place if you need to relax on a budget, but not great if you're looking to walk to the night market/hotspots.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
nthuss, Owner at Santitham Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2012

I am so sorry this reviewer did not like our location or our shower. We actually tried very hard to please this person. Some thing are out of our control. Most people love our location as you will read on other reviews. We DO provide a map on our web site and a small map on the back of our card. We are not perfect but we do have MANY satisfied customers. Sorry this one is not more enthusiastic. We wish all of our customers a very Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

Being a very well travelled couple, we were looking for somewhere that would offer us comfort and some privacy, yet not be completely out in the sticks.
Bingo! Santitham Guest House. If you want a 50" flat screen, tea and coffee served in your room and a swimming pool this is not for you. but if you want a very comfortable bed, in a tasteful room in an area that's a stones throw from the Old City then I can only recommend this place as a definite gem of a place.
The key to being here and having a truly magical time, is to rent a scooter from Buddy's down the road, and visit the myriad of Temples, the Royal Flora Gardens, Suan Rachapreuk and more..
We shared a bathroom, and this didn't detract from the ambiance of the Guest House.
We are already looking a scheduling a return visit next year, Noland best wishes to you and our thanks.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I always love to stay here every year when I first come to Chiangmai. Beautiful place, friendly and very accommodating. Surrounded by beautiful gardens yet right in the middle of Santitham area. They also own a fabulous restaurant next door called Sabaidee Santitham where I eat frequently andnever get tired of trying new dishes there.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 6, 2012

will stay here again when I finally get back there in 2015. wonderful place to stay-I had a room that was in the corner by the intersection and would not recommend it---it was noisy with traffic but then again I live out in the woods and the only sounds I hear are the possums under the house. The bed was fantastic--the most comfortable one I have ever slept in. Breakfast was good even for a diabetic. People have talked about how close it was to the center of town--and that they would get a tuk tuk or ride a bike--I walked alot--there is always so much to see in Thailand and it is not that far-and Chiang Mai is not full of smog like Bangkok. and as in all my other reviews vegetarian food is so easy to fing in Thailand--but for the purist there is always fish sauce in alot of prep

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank david f
Reviewed November 15, 2012

It is located in a real bustling Thai area... You can eat and drink and shop (7/11) 24
hours a day. I stayed for almost 10 days and had a room in the garden; no noise
from the road, only birds and the water could be heard. Sometimes I could sit on
the balcony for hours, reading, dreaming, just forgetting that a few meters away
real Thai life was going on... so peaceful it was. Within a few minutes you can be
anywhere in the city with the free bikes, alternatively the friendly staff will arrange
almost anything for you. The breakfast was great as well - lots of fresh fruit - the
gym was quite well equipped even though I did not make use of it. All in all a great
place to stay.... And last but not least, they collect you from and bring you back
to the airport and / or train or bus station. And if you like a good glass of wine or
any other drink in a very informal setting you should try their bar / restaurant. Will
definitely go back if I choose Chiang Mai again.

Room Tip: You can choose to hear traffic or birds and water.....
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo