“We are the best at cooking thai food now”

Thai Cottage Home Cookery School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We are a small cookery school dedicated to ensuring visitors to beautiful Chiang Mai have a truly amazing experience learning about Thai traditional food, and the Thai food culture. We welcome all visitors at every level, whether a cooking novice or those who seek to build on existing abilities. Our highly experienced and patient teachers hope to pass on their skills and passion for Thai cuisine.
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Maybe not the "best"...but we were so surprised at how good our food turned out and it was no thanks to us. We did get a little nervous when walking down the alley to get to school. It's not the Ritz. But what made up for it was our lovely instructor, Chad. It seemed like most of the instructors were college kids, but unlike me in college, they were really nice and earnest. It felt good to be contributing to them financially versus a big name thai chef. Sure, this is probably not the most professionally run venture of all time, but any hiccups were more than made up for by the sweetness of the staff, and how much fun we were having with our fellow students. Plus, the food we made was really great. One of the best experiences of our trip, hands down...and about 600 baht cheaper than the other schools.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

This was one of the cheapest cooking courses in Chiang Mai and I'd choose them again. The staff was amazing including 3 guys from the province on a internship, learning english. They teached us cooking and improved their english at the same time. I learned a lot and the fact that you can choose from so many menues makes it very imteresting, everybody cookes something else. I highly recommend this place!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

We chose this course because of the positive reviews on Tripadvisor. We had a very good experience and had a lot of fun.

Some Pros: the instructors speak good English and they explain many things. They give you a nice recipe book at the end of the class. The ingredients are all fresh, from the local market, and they teach you how to choose them. The instructors supervise the process very well and help you at all times.

Some Cons: many of the ingredients are already prepared for you, like the curry paste, some vegetables, everything is already measured. This is very convenient, but you don't really learn how to make these ingredients properly, which I think is a drawback. There are pauses in between the dishes, which could be used in a more efficient way as well. I would also suggest including some fruit dishes in the menu.

All in all, we enjoyed it, and I think I would do more cooking classes in Thailand.

1  Thank Maria Z
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My wife and I took this course and we really enjoyed it. It made us appreciate the ingredients that go into yummy Thai food and also how to use them. The instructor was very polite and spoke good English. This was the cheapest class we could find and perhaps the more expensive courses offered more, but you get what you pay for and we had a really good time :-)

1  Thank YoBoo
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was goodmfun and really informative. They have a great set up and the teachers are lovely and godnfun

1  Thank Julie F