“good rooms but the people not so good.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Family Tribal Trekking & Guesthouse

Family Tribal Trekking & Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Family Tribal Trekking & Guesthouse
Ranked #542 of 710 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“good rooms but the people not so good.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

we had a tourist scam with the tuk tuk in Bangkok. That is how we got this hotel. The rooms are smelly. And we booked the elephant trekking with them and they already wanted to sell us more stuff all the time. And are really pushy about it. And they acted nice but they are not very nice. fake money greedy people. The only thing that is nice is the bed. There are much nicer places in the street to stay. And much cheaper and with nicer people.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights in October 2011. Was booked for us through a travel agency so we had no idea what we were expecting. We had an enjoyable stay. The room was very hot so we did have to pay for aircon which was an extra 250B a night. The rooms are very clean and airy however they are not cleaned during your stay. You have to ask for toilet paper (although this seems to be like everywhere in Asia) There is now a proper reception (we didn't have to walk through a tattoo shop like previous review). The annoying bird still exists though and we could have strangled it too! It has learn to talk though and says hello, how are you, so that is some entertainment! Good location. I agree that service could have been slightly better and thought that guests staying at the hotel should get to use the internet for free.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stefxx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

Stayed here w 3 buddies. We have big room with ac. It's not too far from night market, about 20 min walk or 30 baht tuk tuk ride. Would stay here again

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Metermaidoc
Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

No where to hang anything so I bought in the outside airer. Place needed a good scrub, from our room to the stairs. I wore thongs in the shower! As we were in the guest house we were not expecting daily service. No fridge available. No television in the room. We did have air conditioning. Day of arrival wanting to take us to the handicraft area for 500 baht and being pushy about it. They did not want us to hit the street and find 100 baht reasonable price. Got caught. Nasty taste left.
Too hot for blankets( which had seen better days)
Would not supply a top sheet. I slept with a length of material on top of me.
3 nights not to be repeated.
Location good. Potential with new attitude. Unfortunately a government tourist place is recommending this place.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the guest house.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank blewinaccommodation

Travelers are raving about these Chiang Mai hotels

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2011

I stayed at this hotel after reading someone else's review about moving out of the Eurana Boutique Hotel and having a positive experience at this one. My experience was mixed unfortunately.
The Family Boutique Hotel is on the south side of of Moon Muang Road soi 6, a short walk up from the main road with a food market on the corner. The establishment is run by the same people who run the Family Tribal Trekking Guest House and tour shop directly across the road from it, but this hotel is much newer and in much better condition than the guest house. My room was nicely presented, clean and modern looking, and the bathroom amusingly had a separate urinal as well as a toilet. The TV only had the standard satellite channels, obviously mainly in Thai, with only a few English channels. My room also had a smallish balcony facing out onto the street with a partial view of the mountains.
Entry to the hotel was through a tattooist's shop downstairs, it appears that rather than having a separate reception area, they have kept this all at the original reception area across the road and are renting the floor space out to this tattooist. The only problem with this was the bird that is kept in this tattooist's shop, which made a VERY annoying noise every morning and woke me up before time, every morning. I was ready to go and strangle the thing! Internet was available for THB20 per half hour or THB30 per hour next door. There was no lift at this hotel.
My main gripe at this hotel was the service. From the very outset, Mrs. Aoiy (who seems to be the owner/manager) was trying to upsell me with ancillary tours even though I made it clear that I knew Chiang Mai well, and would be doing my own touring. I was able to negotiate a discount on the room price, THB650 down from THB700, with no breakfast included. I was not pushy with obtaining this discount at all, but I felt as though the manager held a grudge for this throughout my whole stay, hence why I would not recommend this hotel to fellow travellers, unless they enjoy being made unwelcome. She even used the old "I never discount the room price, only for you" line. If it was going to make her lose sleep, then she shouldn't have discounted it.
My room was NOT CLEANED/SERVICED AT ALL during my 3 night stay. The excuse that the manager used afterwards was that I didn't leave my key with her when leaving for the day, so perhaps I wanted privacy. This is the first time I have experienced such logic at a hotel in all my travels around Thailand. I know I won't get privacy at a hotel, because they have master keys!!!! Anywhere else, my room would be cleaned and serviced daily regardless of what I did with my key, but the manager was trying to be shifty here, and I could tell this from her tone of voice and language.
I was also CHARGED FOR DRINKING WATER. The mini-bar menu inside the room displays no price for drinking water, and the only water in the fridge in the room is the "Minere" brand, so the manager claimed that this was Mineral Water (which is listed at THB30 a bottle) and charged me for it. She claimed that travellers are concerned about the standard bottled drinking water (the big generic plastic bottle with only blue writing on it - perfectly fine) so she didn't give me any because I didn't ask for it!! There was no misunderstanding here, she was being deceptive and knew it.
The rudeness and deceptiveness on the part of the manager was only small-scale, but it was enough to put a sour end to my stay at this hotel, and I won't be back to a place that doesn't appreciate its customers. I chose to spend my money at this place, and if they want to pull silly tricks on their customers, then they need to be prepared for the unpleasant consequences. The hotel was good, the service was poor. What a shame.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends