“Perfect for a first stay in Chiang Mai !”
Review of Cool Guesthouse

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cool Guesthouse
Ranked #95 of 732 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Perfect for a first stay in Chiang Mai !”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

I had a very pleasant experience at Cool Guesthouse.

The place is beautiful and charming. The staff is very friendly and easy to communicate with, which I found very helpful as it was my first time in Chiang Mai and needed all sorts of information and help here and there.

My room was cosy, very clean and quiet at night which I really enjoyed. The Cafe downstairs also is quite convenient to have breakfast (good value).

Overall I think it's exactly what one would expect for this price, plus a charming atmosphere :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Coolguesthouse, Manager at Cool Guesthouse, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Guillemette,

Thank you so much for your great review.

We appreciate you as a guest and wish to warm welcome you again.

Thanks again to notice the cleanliness of the rooms, the good value of our breakfast, the quiet of the place, and our good fair price tag overall on quality.

Hope you enjoy your trip in thailand, all the team say hello to you ! Xavier

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Cool Guesthouse is situated in an excellent location close to the North Gate of the city. It's near to several good markets (Thanin, Warorot and Chinatown), a great Jazz bar, and a few blocks from the Sunday Walking Street.

The rooms are cozy, have comfortable mattresses and a great ambience. The greenery and fishpond in front of the rooms give the sense that you are in an oasis.

Breakfast is French, but was a nice change from the Asian food I had been eating for the last half year. Great freshly squeezed juices and housemade yoghurt as well.

The owners, Nathalie and Xavier, are very hospitable people. They are a walking Wiki when it comes to Thailand - they know the best places to visit and can offer you advice and help you with planning a trip that not only you will enjoy, but benefit the locals too. So make sure to ask them and use their knowledge!

Cool Asia Travel - the travel agency associated with Cool Guesthouse - can offer you some great fair trade tourism packages/tours. I checked around before booking the elephant tour with Cool Asia Travel, but I am so glad I chose them in the end, since their tour seemed to be more personal and not geared towards mass tourism. Eddy Elephant Experience was an unforgettable and humble experience. I was in awe to be able to get so close and connect with the majestical elephants. This was different from what I read about on the internet. This was not like the tours overrun by hordes of tourists - this was a more intimate setting.

If you are looking for a peaceful base to explore the beauty Chiang Mai and its surroundings has to offer - than Cool is the place to be!

Room Tip: The topfloor rooms have great views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The room was clean and comfortable; the best was the open space at the entrance where you could have breakfast. The neighborhood (the North Gate) is quiet, and there are lots of places to have dinner in the area and also 7-eleven . The only bad thing that I can say is that although they say they can speak Spanish we couldn't do it (and it should have been very helpful when we booked, also with them, our trips and activities in its tourism office, which shares part of the guesthouse).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My review is very positive so here is some context in order to attest what I'm saying : I'm currently living in Thailand and I've been travelling across the country a lot. I stayed in expensive hotels as well as very cheap guesthouses. I stayed with my parents for a couple of nights in january 2013.

This is with no doubt the best value you can ever get in Thailand in this price range; I mean it.

We truly appreciated our stay there thanks to Xavier (the owner) and its staff who helped us greatly to organize our day activities. Not only he provided us some insights of what to do or see but he'll also arranged most of our trips. Everything went great as he really knew what he was talking about and recommended us very accurately the best places or activities that will suit our desires.

To sum up I would say that the service at Cool Guest House was amazing. I also have to mentionned that rooms are very nicely furnitured. Facilities such as bathroom, TV and wifi works great. Laundry was fast, breakfast good and the house itself is also nice with its woodens balconies.

I higly recommend that you stay there when you'll go to Chian Mai.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Nicolas-Richard
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a couple of days in March to kick off our trip to Thailand. We arranged for airport pickup which was very convenient. The room is decorated in a traditional Thai style with the bed close to the ground. Wifi included - and a small perk - you can skype via the television in your room! Breakfast, while not included, was very affordable and having the option of eggs/bacon, while not traditionally Thai to be sure, was welcome (I really do like my eggs in the morning!). The one disadvantage is that, in order to be environmentally friendly, the key card control all the electricity in the room - including the A/C. As such, it took awhile for the room to cool down when we returned after a hot day. But, this is a small thing. The included natural mosquito repellent for the room was appreciated, as was the two bottles of water/day.The jazz co-op nearby is a great place to kick back, relax, and hear some great music. The attached tour company was also very helpful in scheduling trips for us. if you keep in mind that this is a guest house and set your expectations accordingly, you will be very pleased.

Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kyrielle
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We did not know what to expect and luckily we fell into the most accommodating and cute guest house in a great part of the city. The owner knows a lot about wine and has a bunch of really good organic wines you can buy by the glass or bottle (a very rare thing to find anywhere in Thailand). It is located right near the old part of town and you can walk or bike (just take a free one from the house!) anywhere. Another thing that was really impressive was how great they were with helping plan our time in Chiang Mai. They were connected to all the great tour companies and had really well educated reviews on each one. AND we didn't feel pressured to take any of them... it was up to us and that was very refreshing. We told them what we like and in an hour we had everything planned for our full week there! They took care of all the scheduling and we just had to show up. I think Cool Guest House was responsible for creating some of the best moments we had traveling in Thailand. PLUS there is a great little Jazz Co-op bar 2 doors down that is really the best place to hang out at night and unwind. We will be back again and recommend it to all of our friends!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Olivia P
Poros, Greece
Reviewed February 26, 2012

We stayed for one week in February 2012 and although the room (No 2) was comfortable and decorated in typical Lan Na style, it was like living in a goldfish bowl. The room is on the ground floor & has no outside space at all. The path to the other rooms & the laundry area was immediately outside the door and the open stairs, which ran horizontally, leading to the upstairs rooms, were about 1 mtr away from our window. Consequently we had to keep the curtains closed most of the time in order to have some privacy. The only other window was covered by an opaque mural & would'nt open, so it was dark. The maid service was excellent, however, and laundry that we left in the morning was back on our bed by the afternoon. Because there wasn't even a small patio area it was impossible to wash small items of clothing as there was nowhere to dry them at all. Towels were changed whenever we indicated that we wanted clean ones, by leaving the soiled ones on the floor, which was a good idea.

Breakfast was tasty but a bit haphazard. There aways seemed to be a member of staff sitting at one of the seats using a computer and sometimes we had a long wait.

I have to agree with an earlier reviewer who stayed in the same room - the gaps around the door let the mosquitoes in, and the garden area seemed to be more for the owners & staff than the guests. I like to have a rest late afternoon before going out for the evening but this was impossible. There were always members of staff out there talking and calling to one another & a small child riding a tricycle up and down & shouting, right outside. Whilst I appreciate that children have to play, there was no consideration for guests. On top of this they have a dog that is usually in the garden, that starts barking early in the morning & then all day, at guests coming & going as well as anyone else it doesn't know, so forget having a lie-in.

Having said all that it wouldn't take much to make Cool guesthouse a lovely place to stay but I would imagine that upstairs would be a better option. The gueshouse was far enough away from town to be quiet (we never heard any traffic noise) but close enough to have a leisurely stroll to dinner in the evenings.

The friendliest member of staff was the night porter who always greeted us with a big smile and had a laugh with us - he was a really nice guy.

Room Tip: I would advise an upper floor room as I think they may have a small outside area. Definitely not th...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank June B
Coolguesthouse, Owner at Cool Guesthouse, responded to this review, May 25, 2012
Hi, thanks for the review. All our rooms are open on a charming patio with a little tropical garden a bit like a motel. The laundry is more than 10 meters from your door room #2 and thanks for the compliment of the laundry efficiency, we know our guest stay here in average for 3 or 4 nights so we can ensure a laundry service in less than 10 hours (sometimes 6).
Due to a room improvement gap is cover on the door frame and mosquito natural repellent are available in your room as a free use of the fragrance lamp which one is a also a natural repellent. We are sorry but in Thailand there is mosquitoes.
The little kid is my daughter and as we are a GUEST HOUSE, we also sleep in a room not so far from your room, we are living in the sport to better serve our customer and word every day 12 hours a dat. Yes she play after school, sometimes, and as she a bit shy she quiet for a kid of her age. We also welcome and love families with kids (free stay and mattress up to 12 years old). Our dog Beep Beep doesn't bark much as you said, you can not imagine how many customers love him and take photos with him.
Also for a small guest house with only 7 rooms open we are paying a security guard to let open all night and allow check out even at 5am morning.
And yes I disagree with you Cool Guesthouse is charming and a lovely place.