“One of Chiangmai's Best Spas”
Review of Cheeva Spa

Cheeva Spa
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Cheeva Spa from the moment you enter offers a warm and relaxing environment. Our packages are designed to help you Relax for a Longer Life. Our most popular package happens in a very brief three (3) hours. We have couples rooms/Villas available. All of our packages may be done alone or with a partner. Reservations may be made very simply via our website.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Oakland, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 87 helpful votes
“One of Chiangmai's Best Spas”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I was at this spa a year ago, and sometimes I worry about going back when you have a good memory, but this spa didn't disappoint! They picked us up at our hotel in a nice clean minivan and dropped us at their door. We signed up for the Harmony Package which included a foot massage, body massage and facial.
Upon arrival they seated us in the foot massage room and brought a form to complete and some lovely tea made from a fruit called Panang...it tasted like very good coconut, but wasn't milky it was clear and refreshing. Then the ladies arrived with a basin of rose petals, lime slices and green leaves floating in very hot water. This was the foot soak and wash. Since we had on capri pants which could not be rolled above the knee, they brought us the one-size-fits-all Thai massage pants to switch into. (My ONLY complaint is that they didn't tell us what to wear when we booked or this could have been avoided). The foot massage was expert--and sometimes a bit too strong for me--but the masseuse adjusted as I yelped! From there to the massage room where we changed into the supplied one-size-fits-all "panties" and disposable shower cap (not a fashion statement!). The massage was comfortable on a mattress on a proper massage table with a donut hole for your face under which had been placed a celadon bowl with flowers floating on top...a nice detail. Again, my masseuse was strong, so had to adjust once but she was very skilled. And finally the facial which was all about cleansing, a mask and moisturizing...none of that awful "extractions" done sometimes in the U.S.! My friend and I emerged sparkling and relaxed and at the end while we completed the survey they served us wonderful Ginger tea and sticky rice with mango and coconut milk...yummmmmy! They sent a pre-paid taxi to return us to our hotel. It was all just perfect...wouldn't change a thing.

Ladies be forewarned. In Thailand there is a custom that the whole body, including breasts are massaged. This was a shock to me 20 years ago during my first Thai massage as in the U.S. they are SO careful not to "touch" anything and to keep you properly covered up. Don't be shocked, it's just part of the massage.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Pat B
CheevaSpa, Owner at Cheeva Spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for writing a new updated review of the spa here on tripadvisor.com. It's good to remind those that have visited and even left a review before, that you can leave a new review.

I am happy to hear that the services were as good as your first visit. I am a little confused by your complaint of not advising what to wear, as it was not your first time coming to the spa or a spa. I am pleased to hear that you were offered pants to change into.

I would like to say that for you or any customer, if at any time the pressure is too hard please don't feel like you have to suffer through. I believe the staff here, while not everyone can "sense" when it is too much, they are more than willing to reduce the amount of pressure when told. Please don't be shy to tell a therapist that something is too hard or too "strong". This can be difficult for many therapist as it is a very relative term. As a previous reviewer wrote, we couldn't do strong enough for them, and yet...too strong for you. It is not an insult to say the pressure is too much, after all the massage is about you.

Thank you for making note of our facial as we had recently changed to 100% natural and organic products for the facial scrubs and mask. I know for some that prefer a more intense facial involving extractions, I'm sorry to say we do not do that here. But we do gently take time to cleanse and exfoliate and moisturize the skin during our facials.

We do our best to provide mango and sticky rice as this had definitely become a customer favorite. As is the transportation to/from hotels within the City of Chiang Mai, which we are happy to complimentary provide when having any of our spa packages.

I look forward to your return. I hope we are able to maintain the quality and level of service you have received in the past for any future visits.

Please be sure to let us know of your return to Chiang Mai, as we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.

Warmest regards,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very nice city spa”
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

If you need some pampering this is the place to be. We took the luxery package. It was perfect! Very kind staff.

CheevaSpa, Owner at Cheeva Spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time leave a review here on tripadvisor.com. All reviews are greatly appreciated from the very detailed to a brief misive such as yours.

Yes, you were able to enjoy our Luxury package four (4) hours of Foot massage/body wrap/body scrub/aromatherapy milky bath/aromatherapy oil massage/Facial treatment.

Thank you for your kind words. When you return to Chiang Mai, we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.

Warm wishes,
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“just not my type”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

the spa confirmed our 3 hours package and arrivals time at 1830.but when we arrived in time we are told that as the spa will closed at 9pm, we have to re choose another package.
without detailed explanation, we took a 2.5 hrs package and it was just not that good- esp if you get used to Chinese style massage.. which is much more stronger.
and the oil massage is just too light for me and my boy friend..also the hot compress is just like using hot towel to clean up the oil (which last for an hour)
Maybe we should try another type..

CheevaSpa, Owner at Cheeva Spa, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review here on tripadvisor.com.

First let me state, that there was some miscommunication with regards to the scheduling, an email was sent to you stating that you would need to start at 1800 hrs for a 3 hour package, after you stated you were coming at 1830 hrs. Unfortunately, you failed to get our reply email with the final confirmation of all the details prior to your arrival. Notwithstanding, the Receptionist erred when stating that you could only have a 2.5 hr package. As there was obvious miscommunication, you should have been given/allowed to have the longer package. For this, I do apologize. We have corrected this matter of timing with our staff. While you may not return, I hope for future customers this does not happen.

I do like to say, that we are a Thai Lanna Identity spa. And yes, the styles of Thai and Chinese are very different when done correctly. Unfortunately, many therapists try to please and do very "strong" as requested, and this very much takes away from the actual massage.

I do not believe a massage should be painful, and I do my best to teach the staff this. For those interested in a "strong" massage, for sure something along the lines of another modality such as Tui Na are definitely more favourable.

I understand we are not for everyone. I do hope for the style and modality that we do practice here at Cheeva Spa, there Therapist do a good job and do their best with each customer.

I would like to note, that while the oil massage may not have been "strong" enough for you, we do not in any way practice an "oil rubdown" and call it an aroma oil massage.

Thank you for taking the time to come to the spa. I'm sure the confusion and being told you could not have what you wanted when you arrived, affected your opinion of the spa and the services rendered.

I hope you had a wonderful time here in Chiang Mai, and you were able to find a more compatable place for spa and massage services.

South East Asia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Best Spa Experience in Chiang Mai”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This was our 2nd or 3rd time to Cheeva and the high standard has been maintained. We've made it a tradition to visit every time we're in Chiang Mai. There have been many good reviews of this excellent spa, so we'd just like to add a few highlights for us.
- The Relaxing Foot Massage really lives up to its name! Husband always falls asleep in his chair. They use a peppermint lotion which gives your foot a really nice tingly feeling.
- Thai massage was wonderful, my masseuse Kai really knows her anatomy and pressure points well. My aching shoulders and neck from long hours at the computer felt much better. A plus also was that she tied my hair in a bun and put a flower at the end of the treatment which was a nice touch.
- The rooms are clean and nicely decorated and scented, spa music was good.
- The mango sticky rice and ginger tea were fantastic. Cheeva Spa, if you are reading this, please keep this wonderful dessert.
- I would recommend having a spa package at Cheeva just before you leave for the airport as they can drive you there when you're done. It is great way to round up the great memories in Chiang Mai feeling so good and relaxed.

CheevaSpa, Owner at Cheeva Spa, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for the very kind words and leaving a review here on tripadvisor.com.

I am happy to read that we were able to live up to your expectations. Those from the current reviews as well as having visited before.

Slight correction on the Therapist's name, her name is (Koi) and she is very much loved and appreciated here at the spa.

Always nice to hear when couples come and have a great time together.

With regards to the mango and sticky rice, we do our best to provide this treat year round when at all possible.

We are happy to provide transportation to the airport after your spa package as well. This will allow some of you the opportunity to choose a longer spa package and leave with the feeling of Lanna as you return home.

When you return to Chiang Mai, please be sure to let us know. We always look forward to return guests and happy to see you again (even if we need a little reminder).

Brisbane, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Amazing spa experience”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

After reading reviews on here I decided to visit Cheeva with my partner. We treated ourselves each to a luxury package which lasted four hours. After a lovely foot massage we were taken through a little garden to a private villa where we were pampered with an all over body scrub, then I had a body wrap while my partner opted for a herbal steam. We then had an aromatherapy massage followed by a massive bath filled with orchids, kaffir lime and rose petals. The refreshments of tea and fresh fruit were a lovely touch. Finally we finished with a facial. It was so romantic, and I loved every moment. I didn't want it to end! The staff were incredible. Whilst you can get cheaper spa experiences in Thailand, this was truly top notch and I didn't mind paying about $100 (Australian) for this as it would be much more at home. Next time I'm in Chiang Mai I will be returning here!

1 Thank Chonny66
CheevaSpa, Owner at Cheeva Spa, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a timely review here on tripadvisor.com.

It's always nice to read that we were able to provide the professional service as so many have expressed here on tripadvisor.com. This also shows the importance of timely reviews as well. Not just for our eyes, but for all those trying to decide which spa to choose.

You and your partner enjoyed our Luxury Pacakge (Foot massage/Herbal Steam or Body Wrap/Body scrub/Milky Bath/Aromatherapy oil massage/Facial treatment) all in a short four hours. I'm sure for some 4 hours may seem long, but when visiting a spa, it is a short amount of time to relax and be pampered for the day.

Yes, our prices may seem a bit on the high end when compared to some other spas or even to the plethora of massage shops. But, with our use of natural and organic products, I'm sure you'll find that the price is very reasonable in comparison.

If you have time, we'd love to see you again. For sure when you return to Chiang Mai, we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.