“A good value and location”
Review of Lanna Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Lanna Lodge
Ranked #495 of 733 Chiang Mai B&B and Inns
Phoenix, Arizona
“A good value and location”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I found this hotel wandering around Chiang Mai. It is a little off the main road near the bargirl scene but is in a residential area and very isolated from all of that. It is about 200 meters to the main road.

The hotel rooms are fairly small, but the hotel comes with free wifi which is pretty fast for Thailand. It has gone down several times but usually only for a couple of minutes. One time it went down for about 30 minutes and the staff had to call the ISP. The staff is friendly enough, especially the little lady who runs the place.

After my third night they asked if I would pay my bill. I told them I was checking out in 2 days and would settle up then. They must have a lot of people skip out of their bills because they refused to let me wait to pay all at once. I had to laugh, at 500 baht a night, they probably do get some lowlifes. I pulled a wad of about 15k baht out of my pocket to pay the 1500 baht bill. Like I said, probably because they have been burned before they didn't want to again. I usually stay at a little higher end (1200-2000 baht) hotels so I was a little insulted. Being a budget guesthouse I was hesitant to use my credit card but I offered for them to hold my passport, even that was a no go. Maybe the manager needed drinking money that night.

They operate a lot of tours out of here and can arrange all of that for you, although it is always better to go to a travel agency and negotiate yourself.

It is about a 10 minute walk to the main drag and night bazaar. It is a decent market but nothing different than anything else in Thailand. It reminded me of Sukhumvit at night or Chaweng in Samui.

There are no safes in the room but they have them down at the front desk. They aren't really safes but wooden drawers with keys for them. I am not crazy about that but I have been here for 4 nights with laptops, cameras, phones, etc in the room and have not had a problem. The property is arranged in such a way that there is no way someone can access the rooms without walking through the lobby so I think it is pretty secure. For the price and location I would stay here the next time I am in Chiang Mai. The rooms are quite small and need remodeled, I would say it is about a 2.5 or 3 star hotel. So if you are into luxury, this is not the place, but the showers are hot, the staff is friendly and there are bars and restaurants and shopping minutes away. I don't spend that much time in the room anyways.

Room Tip: Negotiate! I talked her down tfrom 600 thb to 500