“Great experience! Beatifull views”

Jumbo Elephant Camp Day Tour
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

I booked a 2 day trip and it was amazing.
The first day was tracking for 3 hours uphill. If you are in good condition it is a great tracking. At the top you wont regret. We slept in a hut with all of us togheter. With mosquitonets.
Chai our tourguide was amazing. Made us a good dinner and was a lot of fun.
After the sunset we sat at the campfire, with a guitar. Singing songs togheter.

Second day we started with a tracking downhill. My legs are still burning. But totaly worth it. You will stop at a really great big waterfall. You have to go in there!!
The rafting is nice, the bamboo doesn't make sence.
The e!ephant camp is not so good. It is nice to meet the elephants, but ask if you can sit at their neck. Better for the elephant. You will have a little round riding and after that you will wash them.
However i realy wanted to meet the elephants. I rather booked a trip at the elephant nature park. That is the best way to see and be with the elephants. These beatifull creatures deserve to be taken good care of. And not for riding with the stool up their backs.
The nature park was fullt booked for the next 2 months.

If you are going to book this trip ask for Chai. He is the best! And ask for the gitar at the loa camp in the jungle. You will have a great time.
Some of the reviews are not good. But i think it depense of the group you are with. I was lucky and had a great group!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

My partner and I booked a day of elephant training at jumbo training camp.
I was shocked and couldn't stop the feeling of sadness for these beautiful creatures!
It's all a money making process and it certainly wasn't an enjoyable day for me.
We were picked up at 8:30 and taken to an orchid farm?? Then told we were off to a market to buy bananas for the elephants. We arrived at the "camp" at 10:30/11am and were shown the elephants which we fed.
The elephants are kept under shelter chained up all day unless they are needed for training or trekking.
One of the elephants looked very gaunt and another had a poorly back leg which didn't bend when it walked.
Everything was rushed and we didn't get to just enjoy time with the elephants, they took "staged" photos of us riding the elephants and "bathing" them in a concrete pond! I was told to leave my belongings were we ate lunch and they would email us photos from the day? We are yet to receive these and to be honest with you if I could live my time again I would've gone to a sanctuary, where you're not allowed to ride the elephants, just help care for them.

Reviewed January 2, 2014 via mobile

I think places like this exist solely because the better (more humane?) camps are quickly and often fully booked. I can't add more to the many negative aspects pointed out (poor guides, bad treatment of elephants) but suffice to say I would rather never visit another elephant camp than come to these guys again in its current state.

That being said, the elephants are sweet and getting to know them was fun but that memory is tainted by the treatment we saw meted out to them at times.

Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

We booked a day trip to Jumbo elephant camp and i just can't describe how shockingly awful it was. To begin with when we booked it we were told there was around 10 elephants with some young and babies, that it would take 40 minutes to get there and we would see the elephants in a jungle environment and watch them washing in the river. When we arrived after a 90 minute mini bus journey we were presented with a guide who spoke terrible English and 4 very sad looking elephants. I would not describe myself as an animal lover but I actually found the experience shocking. We were allowed up on the elephants and we learnt some commands but after my first experience getting up on one elephant with an injured back leg I declined the second time. We were told we would have one elephant per couple, spend the day with them and learn about how they are cared for but this was certainly not the case. We were a group of 13 so we were told to take turns getting up and shout commands at the poor creatures. I just felt terrible that I had paid money to do such a thing and it was obvious that someone was making a profit and it certainly wasn't the elephants benefiting. The guide just rambled on in what was broken English as I asked him questions about the animals but I couldn't understand what he was saying. We were provided with lunch which was nice and enough for everyone but to be honest I just wanted to leave. I didn't participate in the 'river washing' which turned out to be a concrete pond. Just disgusting! When this was done we were piled back into the mini bus and we traveled back towards Chiang Mai which took over 2 hours as the diver took 2 other people from another group and dropped them back to there hotel. We found out on the journey that this couple had paid extra for a private tour. All I have to say is please do not book this, it was the worst experience we have had in Thailand. The good elephant camps book up quick so if this is something u want to do just do some research and book in advance.

1  Thank Lola_Rose83
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We booked a day trekk and tried to ask the man who picked us up at the hotel what the day entailed. We were told that we were picking up our guide in 5 minutes and he would inform us of our day. Stuffed into an open-air van, our 5 minute van journey turned out to be 1 hour 30 minute journey. We stopped half way and were left by the side of the road for 20 min with no information as to why we had stopped. Turns out we were picking up our guide who had overslept due to being hungover. We tried, again, to ask how the day would pan out but the guide said "Just trekking". When we booked we had asked for a guide who spoke a bit of English....this guy didn't.
After some walking we were taken to a waterfall and told to jump in. This would have been really nice if we had been informed to bring swim gear and a towel. The group instead stood by and watched the guide as he washed and cooled down in the waterfall attempting to cure his hangover. Most of the trekk he walked so far in front of the group that when one man in our group slipped and fell and hurt himslef, the guide was nowhere to be found. We ended up tagging along another guided group since we didn't know where to go. Unsafe, unorganised and a truely aweful experience.