“The Rim is a lovely home feel in a busy city!”
Review of The Rim Resort

The Rim Resort
Ranked #29 of 394 Hotels in Chiang Mai
Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Rim resort is lovely when you first pull in. You feel like you are entering someones' home. The staff was so warm and friendly and always willing to help. We had 2 rooms for our 3 kids and one for us. Rooms were very clean, quiet and very comfortable with a tub and shower in our room as well as a deck overlooking the pool. The pool in the center courtyard was so refreshing and nicely shaded from the hot sun.The hotel offers free nightly shuttles to the Market which was helpful for dinner and shopping. We had free wifi (many hotels do not) and the staff would check in each afternoon to make sure we had everything we needed. Also- breakfast was wonderful! many options, all freshly prepared.

Room Tip: first or second floors, no elevator for luggage if on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Very old style decoration. Room is spacious but cracking sound coming out from the wooden bed and it was so annoying. Breakfast was good and the restaurant is looking good. It is near to nothing and thus we needed to take a cab or a tuk tuk whenever we went out. Being one of the top hotels in Chiang Mai, the room rate for me was definitely good as I have the early bird discount at 2890 Bahts per night inclusive. If you like strolling along busy streets with lots of massage parlours and restaurants and so on, I recommend you stay some where else as it is really close to nothing. Yet it is still a very relaxing hotel to stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Loved this hotel for its feel, intimacy, and ambiance. From the moment we came here, felt welcome and at home. We were greeted with a cold fruit tea and while we arrived much earlier in the morning than check-in time, the staff hustled to get our room ready. Stayed here for 3 nights and 4 days. Breakfast was an experience on its own. While it didn't have the expansive spread of other hotels, it had key QUALITY staples that catered to western and Thai tastes. The fruit was sweet and fresh and the dishes were flavorful. The room was comfortable with a balcony that looked into the pool, and had a soft bed to come home to.
One bad experience at breakfast however, was with a young waiter with a bad attitude who screwed up our order and didn't want to retake it. Other than that, the staff and front desk were ready-to-help and amazing. Location-wise, good for exploring the old city as well as getting a taste of the delicious local food at where else but the night market a few blocks from the hotel. By the way, make sure you check out Ms. Pa's fruit smoothie stand! Will definitely stay here again. Thanks Rim Resort for the experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The hotel is a bit far from the exciting attractions but close to Sunday's night market and most of the temple within the old city, the breakfast is customized like a la carte, and they serve it to your table. the rooms are comfortable and had a garden view, a small pool

Room Tip: to avoid mosquitos get a first floor room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Muratovich77
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife and I stayed here four nights during our honeymoon - for which they gave us a delicious cake! We felt relieved to get out of the congestion (though fun) in Bangkok and were happy to see the nice faces at the Rim. I would call this more a boutique hotel than necessarily a resort, as the architecture blended so nicely with the surroundings. So much thought had obviously been given to how to make it integrated into Chiang Mai, unlike some of the large chain hotels on the other side of the old city. Our room kept in line - not intentionally modern like the Hilton in Bangkok, but with all necessary amenities and quite clean. I think ours was one of their lowest options booked through hotels.com and we found it to be plenty spacious. The staff were almost uniformly young, very enthusiastic and friendly. Their English was generally quite good, a great benefit to us as we hadn't been able to learn much more than sawatdee before arriving. One guy in particular was really excited that we wanted to go to a "meat" buffet (don't even know what to call it, but there are small ones on either side of The Rim) and helped us get transport to a huge one (Sukontha mookatha) that seemed to be more of a locals joint. The hotel is a bit away from most of the main tourist attractions, but as others have said it was nice to be in a calmer section of the old city. It was easy to get anywhere that we wanted to go, especially the Walking Street on Ratchmadnoen road. Many temples, cheap massage places and nice roadside food were easily walkable if avoiding the mid-day heat. Breakfast was also nice, the muesli in particular was awesome and we preferred the Thai dishes to the Western ones. All in all, we loved this place and keep comparing service and amenities from other hotels to it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2013

First of all, this is a beautiful hotel, with an excellent staff. I found it to be ideally suited for exploring Chiang Mai. Other reviewers think that it is too far from the the center of the old city and the night market, but I rather enjoyed putting a bit of distance between these places, which are somewhat crowded, and the location where I spent the night, which was peaceful and scenic. The Rim offers a shuttle to these destinations, but I was able to walk. Most other guests take taxis, which are inexpensive and plentiful in Chiang Mai.

The Rim Resort is tranquility itself, and nicely tucked away just at the edge of the old city. The architecture and the decoration is beautiful, done in a Northern Thai style. The rooms are comfortable, calm, and impeccably clean. The staff clearly takes pride in the place, and will make you feel welcome from the moment you arrive. The breakfast is very good, and once the staff figures out what you like, they will cater to it a bit, bringing extra coffee and the like.

Okay, here is the thing. When push came to shove, the Rim and its staff were kind and helpful to me in a way that surpasses anything that I have ever experienced from a hotel, and maybe even some "friends." I broke my leg with a motorbike in Chiang Mai. Not only did the staff know exactly what to do, where to go, etc., they accompanied me to the hospital. Two staff members waited with me in the emergency room, spoke with doctors, and offered me reassurance and genuine emotional support when the news was bad. I know that this added hours onto their shifts as well, but they were really concerned to help me get the best possible care and to make sure that I didn't suffer any further troubles. They treated me as one would family! The rest of the staff at the hotel was equally concerned, and made it a point to try to anticipate my needs. Every day, they asked after my health, and offered little pleasantries to try to make the rest of my stay enjoyable.

It gets better still. The Head Butler was indispensable. Without him, I would probably still be in Chiang Mai. He helped me to secure new flight reservations and the paperwork required to fly with an injury. Even when I became angry and frustrated with the airlines and its policies, he remained calm and determined. Really, I shouldn't have worried about a thing. He was able to take care of everything that I needed, with grace and speed. None of this would have been easy, or even possible on my own. I am so truly indebted to the staff of the Rim. They have renewed my faith in humankind. ขอขอบคุณคุณ.

Oh, yeah, I would recommend NOT renting a motorbike while in Thailand.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank worldtraveler723
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This hotel in on the west side of the old city beside the moat. I choose this hotel because I wanted a balcony and pool, and somewhere close to the bars/restaurant area (Tha-Phae gate). The hotel isn’t close enough to walk there (comfortably in the heat), but you can easily pick up a Tuk-Tuk (or larger jumbo-van) for about 30thb or less (7 min drive).

Stayed in a Dahla Superior Room’, which was spacious, and they supplied plenty of free bottled water, and free WiFi. Comfortable large bed and no problems sleeping. Only complaint I would have about the room is that there was no Iron.

The breakfast was a bit limited, though you could order cooked eggs etc, and the coffee was good and strong.

The hotel Pool is a bit small, and there always seemed to be people/kids in it, so I never got a good swim. The staff were always professional and helpful, and I also found their 90thb Shuttle Service to the Airport handy.

So, to summarise, I enjoyed my stay, really liked the room, - but had it a bigger pool, better breakfast and closer to the Tha-Phae gate - it would have been even better !!.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo