“Well worth a visit....surprisingly good!!”
Review of Chiang Mai Zoo

Chiang Mai Zoo
Ranked #44 of 251 things to do in Chiang Mai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Chaing Mai Zoo is a great attraction for all ages. Located at the base of the mountains, the zoo offers a picturesque landscape and a variety of animals to see.
Melbourne, Victoria
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Well worth a visit....surprisingly good!!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We visited the zoo on the way to Doi Suthep and were pleasantly surprised.
We were able to feed giraffes, elephants, hippos and flamingoes for 20-30 baht. We all were amazed at how close we could get to the animals. It is certainly different to a western zoo. To be within arms reach of a hippo, elephants etc was quite an experience.
We wandered around the zoo at a leisurely pace and managed to spend 2-3 hours here easily. We did not see the aquarium, but went to the pandas for an extra fee, which was good.
We walked everywhere, and it is very hilly, but there are other options to get around such as the monorail.
The conditions for the animals were good, most areas were roomy and clean, There were some upgrades in progress during our visit, but we were able to see most animals.
The gardens were also beautiful with beds full of flowering liliums, ginger and orchids.
We took lots of photos and we all had a great time, even our two teenagers.
All in all a fun day out for all ages.
Make sure you take a hat, sunscreen and water, it gets hot!

Visited January 2013

• Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Largest zoo that I've been to”
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I thought this zoo was the best zoo that I've been to!
The animals have large enclosures and lots of space -they're spread quite far apart.
Another thing that I liked about it is the fact that they provide a monorail which comes very regularly so you hardly need to walk -always a bonus when it's really hot! The monorail is really nice and breezy too.
I watched an animal show which was really good but missed the seal show. I also got to feed an elephant for 20 baht! I was disappointed that I couldn't hug a kaola for 1000 baht -I thought that this was 1 of the programmes that they offered but when I got there I didn't see that option.
You need to pay separately for the aquarium, panda and the monorail but other than that, it's still very cheap.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A surprise hit for the family of five!”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had free tickets to the zoo as they were included in another trip we had booked. We went as an after thought but ended up having a fantastic day. We got there just before noon and fed giraffes, elephants, and alpacas. We saw pandas eat and play for a long time which is unheard of. I've been to the DC Zoo in the USA dozens of times and I've never seen pandas have so much fun. The animals like giraffes and elephants come right up to the guests and are well cared for and happy. Feeding them was dreamy. Our kids are 15, 13, and 9 and all of them had an amazing time. The zoo is large and sprawling so be prepared to walk a lot. If you're not up for walking you can get a pass for the hop on/off bus and monorail.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Gramiby
Chiang Mai, Thailand
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“A great place to take chidren to!”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

It is both entertaining and educational to take your children to this zoo. It is very well done. They do the best they can to create a natural environment for these animals. You go from one hill top to another. So, walking is not really an option. You can drive or use the monorail service they have. The animals are well taken care of. There is no sign of animal abuse.

Visited April 2012
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Best zoo i have been to”
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

I do not normally like going to zood as i'm sceptical about the treatment of the animals. However as we had been given freebie tickets as a promotion, i saw its good reviews and decided to give it a chance. Boy am i glad i did!

Arrive early enough and you get a map telling you of the feeding times of the animals... i especially recommend panda feeding time! The animals were in spacious enclosures and did not have the restlessness i often see at zoos. The monkey area especially was well spread out.

The zoo looked less of an enclosure and more if a protected environment. It is a large site so i would allow a day to get around. You can go on the shuttle bus for 100 unlimited if you cannot walk far.

Great pictures and even better experience. Good for kids and adults!

2 Thank kadoo-pappa