“Beautiful Location But Elephant Abuse!”

Maetang Elephant Park
Ranked #49 of 255 things to do in Chiang Mai
Honolulu, Hawaii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful Location But Elephant Abuse!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

The location was quite picturesque, but we were quite disappointed with how they treated the animals. We only had time to stay for the elephant ride, Longneck tribe and ox cart ride. We paid about US $50 for this piece meal plan. A few minutes into the elephant ride, we wanted it to end, as the mahout poked and wacked our elephant with this metal hammer type instrument. I really wanted it to stop! Same thing for the ox cart ride....total animal abuse! I thought paying $200 for Patara and other elephant parks that really take care of the animals was overpriced, but after this terrible experience, I regret not going with a better elephant park that takes care of these beautiful animals. Pay more and go to another location!

The only bonus of this area is that you can easily also visit the Zipline tour nearby, which is a great place.

1 Thank Brandi44

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kaneohe, Hawaii, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“If you're into animal cruelty, this is a great place to visit”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have nothing good to say about this place, here's why.

You arrive, get in line, then get on to an elephant. No one speaks English, so you learn nothing about the animals. Then your guide constantly hits the elephant on the head with a hammer of sorts as you're trekking through the hillside. As we passed other elephant riders, one guide was drinking a beer with passengers on his elephant like it was no big deal.

Then you get on an Ox cart and get to watch the guide whip the Ox over and over. As you disembark the guide forcefully asks you for a tip...and has the nerve to tell you that your tip is small.

Every part of this experience was disturbing and we didn't stay for the show or the rafting. Do yourself a favor and go to the Elephant Nature Park. Yeah you won't get to ride the elephants, but truly, the ride wasn't worth the awfulness that you'll witness while on the elephants.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Rozlynd A
Singapore
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fun Day”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We did all the activities provided by the park, elephant show, elephant ride, ox ride, bamboo rafting and a visit to the long neck tribe. We loved the bamboo rafting, water was very calm and very safe even for young kids to stand on the raft. They even let my two young sons to have a go at the rafting which they enjoyed tremendously. The visit to the tribal village was interesting. To do all these activities you would need about 3-4hours. Alternatively you can pick and choose which activity you would like to see as they charge by per activity.

New York City, New York
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“A Great Day with the Elephants”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We visted Maetang elephant Park with a small group of 12 on 9 July 2013. The park was very clean and well kept and the staff very helpful and friendly. We first took the ox cart ride which was very enjoyable. They even let my 11 year old daughter drive the cart. Next came the actual elephant ride. My wife and daugter aboard 1 and me on another. It was so much fun and the Mahouts are so good with the elephants. We took a long trail thru the jungle and then across the water stream and back to whre we started. It was, for me the highlight of a great day. After lunch (buffet style) and a very nice selection, came the ride on the raft down the river. It was pouring rain by the time we got to the rafts, but we all were provided umbrellas. The ride was actually very nice and calming. I enjoyed termendously. While riding the elephants, there are many tall food stands selling bananas and sugar cane for the elephants. The prices are very reasonable. My suggestion is to hold off and wait until you are done with your ride. There is a very large area that the elephants go to after they take their baths in the water that you can purchase food to feed them. Do this, as it offers you more time for photos and more elephants to be with than just your own. There is also a show put on with the Mahouts and their elephants. You will see the elephants perform so small tricks and even get to watch some of them paint pictures with their trunks. We took the half day tour and it was well workth it. I don't know how the rest of my family feels, but I would go back and do trip all over again. I really enjoyed it.

1 Thank Randall K
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“A Fun Day Out!”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Took a day trip with a private car/guide with my wife, two teenage kids and an infant. The trip includes an ox-cart ride uphill, an elephant ride downhill thru the woods, the river etc... great experience, altough incredibly bumpy! The elephant show was OK, not great... I found the one in one in Safari World, Bangkok to be much professional. The trip also includes a quite decent buffet lunch, and a 1-hour river trip on a bamboo raft, which is probably the highlight. You are provided traditional hats to wear as it can get very hot, but the ride itself is very serene and relaxing. In all, a fun day out, and the kids especially really enjoyed it.