“A place for good food”

Ranked #106 of 2,271 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: Asian, Burmese, Thai, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Our beautiful location is on the North side of the moat that surrounds the quaint "old city" of Chiang Mai. It is a perfect place to sit, enjoy the breeze, sunlight and people watching on the main road.The interior is attractive, colorful and bright with our student's art work and long share tables to encourage customers to sit together and make new friends or private tables and a small sofa in the kids corner where there are plenty of books, toys and art supplies to keep the kids happy while parents enjoy their healthy vegetarian or vegan western or local style breakfast, lunch, smoothies or coffee and dessert.We serve many Burmese and ethnic foods that you can't get anywhere else so it is fun to try something new! We also have a fun and funky little Pre-Loved Charity Shop in the cafe where you can not only donate your old clothing, household items, books and more but purchase goods and support our charity at the same time. We have loads of English language novels, travel guides, hats, shoes, scarves, jewelry, men's and women's clothing and more. We also sell organic spirulina, triphala and natural skin care products from local vendors.Please come and check us out today! You can park cars, motorbikes and bicycles along the side of the building.
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Ate lunch here on Dec 24, had veggie Pad Thai, Pumpkin Curry and Tea Salad. Would have had their Pumpkin Cheesecake but after my Mango Passion drink I was full. Will have to go back next week for the Cheesecake. Profits from the restaurant go to help needed Children.
Very friendly staff and a very nice meal.

1  Thank Russ988

Reviewed December 15, 2013

A full service restaurant putting out good food. The restaurant supports a collective that works with Burmese kids. There is a consignment area in the restaurant for used clothes, books, etc. Prices are great, and food is consistent

1  Thank Cisaacs1974
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Amazing vegetarian restaurant where 100% of the profit goes to a charity called Thai Freedom House. Great atmosphere, clean area, and expansive menu. Great variety of smoothies (70THB), coffee drinks, fresh-pressed fruit and veggie juices (55THB), salads, and breakfast foods. Also has a Pre-Loved Charity shop where you can donate and/or purchase lightly used clothing items and goods. A must visit for vegetarians! Look for the Tibetan prayer flags on the northeast corner outside the moat!

2  Thank Emily B
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

I wish every vegetarian restaurant was like the Free Bird! The smoothies are so fresh and the curry and salads are so flavourful. Plus your supporting a good cause! It's a win win in my book!

1  Thank Jesse B
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I truly LoVe this restaurant more than any other in the world! Why? For their good food, good energy, and most of all their LoVe, Support, and Education they offer to the community.

100% of all profits go to supporting the Thai Freedom House (a non-government, non-profit language and arts community and learning center in Northern Thailand dedicated to assisting families and individuals who are refugees from Burma and members of minority groups of Thailand. They teach a multitude of language and arts every day.) The cafe closes at 5, and turns into a school <3. Lisa, the owner, is an angel! she vibrates with so much LOVE, and is working around the clock, 7 days a week, to supporting her cause. It is truly inspiring <3

Let's talk about the food! :) I have literally told dozens of people that the ticket to Thailand is worth it JUST to eat at this cafe! YES! It's THAT good! :) I personally follow a mostly Raw diet, and always Vegan.... I have been teaching Raw Food classes for over a decade, and consider myself a 'smoothie and salad snob' LOL :P. I usually never even order these things out, bc I am usually left disappointed. This is not the case at FreeBird! BOTH their salads and smoothies are amazing and I order them daily! (Yes, when I am in town, I eat here every single day because it is THAT GOOD! :) My personal favorites are the salad sampler (where you can get 3 salads for just 100 Baht). I Love the Burmese Tea Leaf, Pennywort, and Thai Papaya. They have a pumpkin ginger curry dish that is out of this world! (another one of my favs:) My favorite shake is coconut milk, coconut oil, honey, and dates combo. OK I am starting to make myself way to hungry writing this review now! :P

I honestly can not say enough good things about this cafe... The Food, The Staff, The Energy, The Love.... it is all so great!

OH! and there is also a very cool chic Pre-Loved Thriftshop on location there! Where you can donate items to support their charity. Shopping the goodies there is always fun and usually some amazing finds and all the money is being used to support The Thai Freedom House <3 I saw a guy last week find a brand new pair of Chacos Sandals for 100 Baht!

I highly recommend this cafe! Support a good cause and make your belly and taste buds happy all at the same time! :)

1  Thank michellejolene
FreeBirdCafe, Owner at Free Bird Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Thank you so much! That is quite a review and quite a compliment as it seems you have travelled a lot! It is wonderful, outgoing, enthusiastic customers like you who take the time to share your passion and love with the world that keep us going. While, yes, I do know you from the cafe, I had no idea you were writing this review and I am very touched by it Michelle, thank you for spreading the word!