“Healthy, affordable, and for a good cause!”
Review of Free Bird Cafe

Free Bird Cafe
Ranked #104 of 2,192 Restaurants in Chiang Mai
Cuisines: Asian, Burmese, Thai, Cafe
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Our beautiful location is on the North side of the moat that surrounds the quaint "old city" of Chiang Mai. It is a perfect place to sit, enjoy the breeze, sunlight and people watching on the main road.The interior is attractive, colorful and bright with our student's art work and long share tables to encourage customers to sit together and make new friends or private tables and a small sofa in the kids corner where there are plenty of books, toys and art supplies to keep the kids happy while parents enjoy their healthy vegetarian or vegan western or local style breakfast, lunch, smoothies or coffee and dessert.We serve many Burmese and ethnic foods that you can't get anywhere else so it is fun to try something new! We also have a fun and funky little Pre-Loved Charity Shop in the cafe where you can not only donate your old clothing, household items, books and more but purchase goods and support our charity at the same time. We have loads of English language novels, travel guides, hats, shoes, scarves, jewelry, men's and women's clothing and more. We also sell organic spirulina, triphala and natural skin care products from local vendors.Please come and check us out today! You can park cars, motorbikes and bicycles along the side of the building.
Reviewed July 17, 2013

For those of you looking for something healthy and delicious in Chiang Mai, Free Bird is the place to go! It's rare to find restaurants in Thailand that offer a whole menu's worth of fresh, veggie-packed dishes which is why I am so happy to have found this sweet cafe. All of the Burmese food is incredible and something you MUST try if you are looking for cultural variety. In addition, the smoothies are hard to beat (go for the black and white: almonds, coconut, cocoa...amazing!). Lastly, if you put your money towards an incredible meal at Free Bird, you will also be supporting the Thai Freedom House foundation. You really cannot go wrong with this great cafe.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have to put a limit on how often I come here for smoothies, thats how great it is. Their menu is great for any mood you're in. Western breakfast, great Thai food, refreshing smoothies, good hill tribe coffee, and the Shan food is definitely something to try. Not many places or chances to ever try Shan food. The staff is super friendly and love their jobs. They're all students at Thai Freedom House (education for Shan state refugees), which I could talk up a storm about and fill up this page. Come check it out, try some new food, talk to the staff, and learn more about Thai Freedom House. You won't be sorry.

1  Thank Max H
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We enjoyed every aspect of our lunch at Free Bird. Smoothies, salads and entrees. We also meet several other guests who shared some great tips on Chiang Mai.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Visited Free Bird a couple of times coz the food was well presented and tasty. The staff did a real good job bearing in mind they are trainees. Menu has a good variety of Thai and Burmese dishes. Certainly worth a visit, and makes you feel good also!

1  Thank Lski_views
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Before moving to Thailand I had read about the Thai Freedom House (it's a learning center in Chiang Mai that helps families and individuals who are refugees from Burma and members of minority groups of Thailand) as well as their little cafe, Free Bird, and have been itching to go there ever since. I finally made it last weekend and it did not disappoint. Like I said, I went twice in one day...for breakfast and a late lunch...and I can't wait to go back. For breakfast I had the "refresher" smoothie (orange, lime and mint...it was quite refreshing) and a trail mix pancake (genius!). It was delicious and the service was just lovely. For the late lunch my table ordered the pumpkin curry (creamy and gingery...incredible), a salad sampler of the burmese tea leaf salad, the ginger salad and a lime coriander salad (the ginger salad was my favorite), to drink I had a smoothie with pineapple, beetroot, banana and yogurt and for dessert we shared the best brownie I've had in Thailand. The meal was one of my favorites in Thailand - the flavors were out of the ordinary, which was a refreshing change.

In addition, the cafe offers a small second hand shop in the back of the cafe with clothes, books, dvds, cds, handmade jewelry, beauty products and postcards made by some of their students. Not to mention they have a photo both area WITH props!

Go.